Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Swap

Vehicle
    91Bonneville LE, 91 Bonneville SSE, 95 Bonneville SE, 95 Pontiac Transport

You have the gist of it... Yes 94-95 and be on your merry way... 96-97 will be a hair off, it'll be so small you won't notice... I have video of my van someplace with the 2.97 gears... Never edited it tho..lol

Only thing I loved about the 2.97 gears is that I was doing 22 mixed and 28 hwy...

Do your research and see what you can find, let us know what your looking at... as well if you get the numbers off the Trans Tag we can decode the trans to know exactly what the trans was for and a few other details about it... Only way you'll get the trans tag info is if the trans is out already( Some junk yards pull them and store them..) or crawl under the said vehicle and get the numbers..

But when you go to deal with the Yards they will tell you 94-95 Only which is not the case... Make sure they look for Option FW2 3.06... I have seen people end up with the wrong trans...

I work nights, so if you have any more questions I will most likely answer early in the morning or late tomorrow..

So far here are the choices I've found (no tag info, sorry):

'96 Bonneville, 130,000 miles, $200.00
    '95LeSabre, awaiting mileage, $150.00
    '94 Old 88, 200,000 miles, $150.00
    '95 Silhouette, awaiting mileage, entire van $300.00, said tranny needs a "solenoid"
    '96 Bonneville, 140,000, $250.00

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    So far here are the choices I've found (no tag info, sorry):

'96 Bonneville, 130,000 miles, $200.00
    '95LeSabre, awaiting mileage, $150.00
    '94 Old 88, 200,000 miles, $150.00
    '95 Silhouette, awaiting mileage, entire van $300.00, said tranny needs a "solenoid"
    '96 Bonneville, 140,000, $250.00
    If I were you, I would go with the 94-95 vintage units for best compatibility. Avoid the "solenoid issue" because that could actually be any of a multitude of problems.

David

This is what the owner of the Silhouette van said about the "solenoid"....

"When driving at first the shifting to overdrive
    is fine, but later it won't do the shift unless the car is re started,
    then it will work again. This appears to be a fairly common problem on GM
    cars, but doesn't affect the operation of the transmission and just needs
    replacing. This solenoid is evidently hard to get at located on top of
    transmission so I didn't get it replaced."

At the moment, depending on the amount of miles, I am leaning towards the '95 LeSabre transmission. It was a running car and was totaled when hit in the rear. Of course I have to take the entire car (or what is now left of it) and remove the tranny myself. Oh joy....

The owner of the '94 Olds will pull the tranny for me...but the mileage scares me.
    Last edited by philbert; 08-17-2010 at 09:35 PM.

The solenoids are all VERY EASY to get to with the transmission out of the car.

This is an example of the solenoids. Your transmission will be different. This is a 4T65E wheres yours is a 4T60E. The shift coils A and B are what makes the transmission shift out from 1,2,3,4. The other coils will be different for yours. On this transmission, there's a clip that holds the shift A and B coils into the valve body.

Maybe Don (JR's3800) can elaborate on the 4T60E solenoids.

My point is that, with the transmission sitting on the bench, the solenoids are fully accessible.

David

Vehicle

I agree with David 100%... Stay away from the so called solenoid issue... This is not a Solenoid issue, its the TCC bore in the valve body causing issues... The PCM commands the TCC on and sees too much slip then locks out the TCC... The TCC will function again on restart but the same problem will reappear.... So do steer clear of that transmission...

The 95 LeSabre trans will depend on mileage... But would be a 100% perfect replacement..

the 94 Olds 88 Trans.... Way too many miles and near the end of its service life..

Both of the 96 Bonneville are of interest....

Just be really careful... When these units get up there in mileage they are a crap shoot as to weather or not they are good.. I like to be able to pull the dip stick and look at the color as well as the smell of the fluid..

I currently have 185,000 on my 95 Bonneville 4T60E... Still shifts great and I run it to 6100( Trans pump can't really handle much more than this on a 60E )... I have beat the tar out of this transmission... But I always kept the fluid and filter changed as well as a Large Cooler... I actually have a 28,000 GVWR cooler on it, the fluid never get dark.. Keeping them cool does a lot towards longevity... For these transmissions anything over 200F is cooking, 160F is optimum.... 230F is frying, 260 is limp home mode and close to melt down...

Would be nice if you were closer... We could have done a rebuild, or you could have had my SRTA 4T60E for cheap..

Vehicle

David, I almost forgot...

The 4T60E is a bit more simplified than the 4T65E..

The 60E does not use the EPC( Electronic Pressure Control) some like to call this the PCS or Pressure control solenoid... It also does not use the Input Speed Sensor... As well the 60E has no Pressure Switch Plate..

The 60E has the A & B Shift Solenoids, TCC Solenoid, TCC PWM Apply Solenoid and Temp Sensor.. The Line pressure in the 60E was still controlled but the Vac Modulator much in the same way the THM440-T4( 4T60 ) was controlled...

At this point in time, I may be zeroing in on the '95 LeSabre. It may have been replaced not long ago so the mileage is way less than the car. Once that's verified, I may be on my merry way.

Any luck decoding the chip in case I have to have the tranny trouble turned off?

The LeSabre was a driver that had been rear ended with the insurance company totaling it out. A guy bought it for the front end clip as he hit a deer with his. Most everything has been removed on the front end so removing the cradle should be fairly easy and quick.

At this point in time, I may be zeroing in on the '95 LeSabre. It may have been replaced not long ago so the mileage is way less than the car. Once that's verified, I may be on my merry way.

Any luck decoding the chip in case I have to have the tranny trouble turned off?

The LeSabre was a driver that had been rear ended with the insurance company totaling it out. A guy bought it for the front end clip as he hit a deer with his. Most everything has been removed on the front end so removing the cradle should be fairly easy and quick.
    No one has a copy of this chip! That is somewhat expected since it was never a "performance" vehicle! That doesn't mean it can't be done, just that I would have to read your original chip to get the program. This is really best anyway - because you know for sure this program is correct for your van.

There are 2 different definitions this could use. Does it have exposed intake tract runners (L27) ; or a big plastic cover that says "3800 series II" (L36)?

Let me know.
    David

Nope, no plastic cover.

So I shouldn't worry about the chip?...just install the donor's transmission and away I go? Life will be good? My wife will be happy? World peace will occur?

Nope, no plastic cover.

So I shouldn't worry about the chip?...just install the donor's transmission and away I go? Life will be good? My wife will be happy? World peace will occur?
    What plastic cover?

Look me up on Facebook

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

i think hes saying no plastic cover on his engine.
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

I would install the donor transmission and test it. If it acts up the chip can be reprogrammed, if not - then you are on your way! I'm still waiting on the tuning program author to tell me what programming definition it takes!

Vehicle

if he gets the trans from the 95 LeSabre there will be no issues at all... The 1995 U body and the 1995 LeSabre both used the same exact 3800 L27 Tuned Port Injection..

Now the only question is what gear ratio does the LeSabre have? it will either be 2.84 or 3.06, and will only have 3.06 if its the Grand Touring package equipped LeSabre...

94 Tran tag would be, 4WAW, 4PFW( C - H Body )

95 Trans Tag would be, 5BXW, 5BKW

If its the wrong Ratio, you should be able to swap the 3.06 Diff into it, if its year correct..

The BLSD chip should have 0 issues with his trans, as long as its a 3.06.. The 94-95 Trans for both the series I and II are identical in every way

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's3800 View Post
    if he gets the trans from the 95 LeSabre there will be no issues at all... The 1995 U body and the 1995 LeSabre both used the same exact 3800 L27 Tuned Port Injection..

Now the only question is what gear ratio does the LeSabre have? it will either be 2.84 or 3.06, and will only have 3.06 if its the Grand Touring package equipped LeSabre...

94 Tran tag would be, 4WAW, 4PFW( C - H Body )

95 Trans Tag would be, 5BXW, 5BKW

If its the wrong Ratio, you should be able to swap the 3.06 Diff into it, if its year correct..

The BLSD chip should have 0 issues with his trans, as long as its a 3.06.. The 94-95 Trans for both the series I and II are identical in every way
    That's what I thought, too. Did all them have the 37-33 chain ratio during that time?

David

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast