Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Transmission Swap

David, like I said, I am a partial moron! I freely admit it and wear it as a badge of honor.

I am not positive I know what I'm looking at when I look at the charts for the differences in the transmissions. Based on the ID tag, what can you tell me about this possible donor and what differences should I be aware of if I use it? Based on the aforementioned moron-factor, I can see very little difference. It almost appears as if I use the donor trans and torque converter it could very well be a fully plug and play setup.

Phil

Vehicle
    91Bonneville LE, 91 Bonneville SSE, 95 Bonneville SE, 95 Pontiac Transport

This is interesting...

What you have is a 1995 W Body Trans... It would have to be a Buick Regal My bet is a Regal GS... This is a 3.06 Ratio with a 31 tooth reluctor...

The only thing I do not know for sure is if this is a temp sensor or temp switch model..

Also this transmissions has a Structural Aluminum side pan,

You will be able to use this trans, but you may have to swap out the internal wiring harness... That is a trans I would go for and getting it to work should be pretty simple..

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's3800 View Post
    This is interesting...

What you have is a 1995 W Body Trans... It would have to be a Buick Regal My bet is a Regal GS... This is a 3.06 Ratio with a 31 tooth reluctor...

The only thing I do not know for sure is if this is a temp sensor or temp switch model..

Also this transmissions has a Structural Aluminum side pan,

You will be able to use this trans, but you may have to swap out the internal wiring harness... That is a trans I would go for and getting it to work should be pretty simple..
    Yup, it is from a low mileage Buick Regal, not sure if it's a GS or not.

Why is the temp sensor/temp switch important?

Is the "structural aluminum side pan" important?

I know nothing about the internal harness. I had him look and the plug was a grey round 7 pin plug just like on the van. I was pretty sure it had the 3.06 ratio, so thanks for letting me know on that! If I have to swap out the internal harness, is there anything else I'll have to do to make it work?

Vehicle

Changing out the wiring harness is very simple on these transmissions... Only thing you might need is a side pan gasket kit( pretty cheap as long as its not a GM kit )....

I've been reading and yes, it looks fairly simple to change out the harness. I was also doing some research and it appears the same part number is used for the harness for both the original transmission and the donor. I guess I wonder if swapping out the harness is even necessary? Everything I've been able to find says the same pin out was used on '94-95 for sure.

So Don, as I bow down in your wisdom of all things GM related, is this going to be plug and play?

The one issue I thought of is the transmission mount. I see they use completely different mounts. What is the best method to work through this?

Vehicle

Both Transmissions should have the same mounting bosses.... You should simply install your mounts and do what ever with the others...lol

Hi guys...well, six months later and I'm back at it. Life gets in the way, you know how it is.....

The replacement transmission is finally in my garage ('95 Regal) and I'm ready to go at it. Which torque converter should I be using? The original van's or the Regal's?

Vehicle

Red face

Both Converters should be the same 1897 stall, and both have the same friction clutch inside... Being that the Regal trans still functioned, use that converter... The Regal Converter is compatible with your van..

If you have any other questions Please by all means Ask

Status update: The engine is pulled, the transmission is removed, and the "new" transmission is installed. I KNOW there has to be an easier way to get the new transmission attached. I bet I struggled for 4 hours before it finally popped in. In order to get the transmission to clear the cradle, the engine has to sit at a slight angle as does the trans. But at that slight angle, the torque converter would continually slide off. Anyway, it finally fit and now it's just putting all the bits and pieces back on, and sliding it back under the van.

I have a low cart on wheels. I installed a couple of 4x4 on the cart and with the van raised just slightly (on jackstands) the cart fit under the engine cradle perfectly. I used a cherry picker to raise the front of the van enough to wheel the cradle assembly out from under the van. That was the easy part!

NEW UPDATE:

The project is finally finished and I hope to never have to go through that again! But....the van runs, shifts, and drives as it is supposed to! And Momma (my dearest wife) is a happy camper to finally have "her" vehicle back again.

We had one small issue in her maiden voyage. About 15 minutes after she left she called. It was one of those times when you're not happy to see a particular number on the caller ID, ya know? She tells me the steering is acting like it's locked up tight, to grab my tools, and come see what's up. When I get there I see the serpentine belt has come off the pulleys. No big deal, I put it back on, have her start the van, and within a second the belt comes off again. That's when I noticed the a/c compressor looks as if it's not quite right and sure enough, the bracket is cracked. So I measured for a belt to eliminate the a/c compressor (72 1/2 or 73 inches if anyone is interested), install it, and we're back in business.

Thank you to all that have helped me in this process.

Vehicle
    1989 W45 Ciera Int'l Coupe

When I was doing the 3800 supercharged swap in my van I used the chainfall that I have in the roof of my garage, and I put a couple ratchet straps around the lower rad support and lifted the van that way.

This was the second time the cradle has been out of this van while in my care - I purchased the van back in 2004 when it was in need of a transmission change. Having the right setup like this it's actually a breeze to pull the cradle out on these vehicles (or an A-body). I too use a low cart on wheels to set the subframe on and wheel it out from under the body afterwards.

One additional point I wanted to add regarding changing the transmission, and the difficulty you mentioned in getting it reconnected: I removed the engine and transmission as a pair from the cradle. Then, keeping the engine attached to the cherry picker, unbolt it from the transmission and connect it to the replacement unit before positioning the assembly back onto the cradle. The cradle is not that hard to man-handle once there's no drivetrain on it.

http://www.screech.ws/
    01 Chev 2500HD (4x4), Vortec 8100, 496ci BBC, 3.73 gears, CCSB
    98 Chev K2500 (4x4), Vortec 350, 4.10 gearing, ECLB 155.5" WB
    98 Chev C2500 (2wd), Vortec 350 w/SFI kit, 3.73 gears, ECLB 155.5" WB
    89 Olds Cutlass Ciera W45 Int'l Coupe
    76 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham BBC
    95 Pontiac Trans Sport SE (US Model), 3800HO
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport GT
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport SE, S1 3800SC L67 - R.I.P. 2010-09-09

After installation, I found out the tranny was a different year or something and it would only work in a couple gears because of it. It would have worked if several parts were transferred from the original tranny ...
    Please, no spam in your signature.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    I know the interchange list can be overly specific at times where parts have to be EXACT matches. As an example, I'm very much into the old generation Saabs (pre-GM). If I need a transmission for a car and look at the interchange, it will show I can only use maybe 1-2 years worth of transmissions. However, I can actually use 25 years worth. While there may be slight internal difference such as gear ratio or inner drivers or bearings, they are perfectly usable for buy car parts a swap. The reason for my original question was based on that premise....if another vehicle could be used as a donor where the only differences may be gear ratio or internal bearing or something unimportant in the grand scheme of things. (I do realize the computer in the van is more important than my Saab example)
    I have been looking around for the XKR-R Manual Transmission swap.
    Does anyone have any more information about this? thanks in advance!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345