Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Famously Bad Automotive Engines -Jalopnik

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Default Ten Famously Bad Automotive Engines -Jalopnik

http://jalopnik.com/5614834/ten-famo...otive-engines/

(Posted here in General due to A-body content.)

#5 pictures a Century (strangely, with a Euro plate) naming the 4.3L V8 diesel. Also the comments section is filled with rants about the Iron Duke.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

am I and Matt one of the few people here who actually like the way our Dukes are runnign right now??!
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

They're wrong about the number of cylinders in the A-body diesel. It's six of course, not eight. And their reference image of the Century shows a "3.0 Liter" badge on the fender, which means it isn't even a diesel anyway. Someone in the comments noted that their Suzuki three cylinder pic is wrong too. These guys didn't do their homework on some of this shit.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 214k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

The only one I agree with is the Chrysler 2.7, but not for the reasons they listed. Also, I wonder if they meant "5.7 diesel V8" rather than 4.3?

All in all, that's a pretty sorry list. There are far better candidates than what they picked out.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

They're saying late 70s V8 Diesel, so they must really mean the 5.7, which I understand. I have to agree w/the one comment that the Caddy 4100 is worse than the 8-6-4, especially since I'm pretty sure all of those were rewired as a regular 6.0 V8. -Adam
    1994 Ciera S 201K (donated), 98 Bonneville, 92 Aerostar, 64 Jeep J 300 truck, 70 Suburban

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century

I don't know about bad design of motors, but I will agree that half the problem is the lack of upkeep the owners didn't do to them. You could have the best engineered motor of all time under your hood, but if you do not do simple preventative maintenance on it, it is not going to last. I have not owned any of the engines on that list, so I can't comment on how difficult they were to work on, however, it didn't stop millions of people from buying them.

edit. Hmm I take that back, I owned a 4100 Cadillac but I don't think it was the 8-6-4 configuration. I had a chance to chat with a retired GM engineer when I owned it, and he told me that GM never should have made that engine, or put it in the too heavy Cadillac. It was seriously underpowered. (Mine was an '84 four door Fleetwood)
    Last edited by Nighteyez; 08-18-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: add info
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Adamtinkerer View Post
    V8 Diesel, so they must really mean the 5.
    Word for the day - Water Problems...in the fuel....it needed beter fuel/water separator, and people who fill their tanks full

Vehicle

Well, the later versions of the 4100, the 4.5 and 4.9, were the same physically but more displacement, and the 4.9 made power consistent with its contemporaries of similar size.
    -Cadillac 4.9 (300 ci): 200 hp, 270 ft-lbs
    -Ford 5.0 (302 ci): 190-225 hp, 275 ft-lbs
    -Chrysler 5.2 Magnum (318 ci): 230 hp, 300 ft-lbs (truck only, unfortunately)
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 214k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by 86euro View Post
    The only one I agree with is the Chrysler 2.7, but not for the reasons they listed. Also, I wonder if they meant "5.7 diesel V8" rather than 4.3?

All in all, that's a pretty sorry list. There are far better candidates than what they picked out.
    no for a few years a 4.3 v8 was made.........but there so rare good look even laying eyes on one let a long have facts.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle

got to love the pict for for motor number 2. its a rover 3.5 through 4.9 aluminaum V8..........could be a buikc 215 v8 as well i think Mickey Thompson would have some counter for it being crap

most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

I figured you guys might have a thing or two to say. I don't agree with the list either, like where are the Mitsubishi engines that burn oil like its gas, or the 3.8L Ford engine that nearly everyone I know had some type of problems with? Instead the list seems to be mostly composed of engines I've never even seen, and in a couple cases never even heard of. Of course I'm only in my 30s, but still.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock View Post
    no for a few years a 4.3 v8 was made.........but there so rare good look even laying eyes on one let a long have facts.
    I knew there was a 4.3 gas V8... so there was a diesel too?
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle

According to Wikipedia, there was a 4.3L V8 diesel, available only in the 1979 Cutlass, RPO LF7. Roughly the same output as the 4.3 V6 Diesel though.
    Daniel

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 86euro View Post
    I knew there was a 4.3 gas V8... so there was a diesel too?
    wow found one\
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79C_oX1V2H4

if any one gets a 4.3 diesel becarfull buying parts for it the v8 is 260cu and the V6 is 262cu

00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century

I had 3 Mitsubishi 2.6 liter engines, and even one 3.8 liter Ford V6. Never had a problem with the Ford motor (did you know it was based on the Buick 231?) but 2 of the 3 Mitsu's either burned copious amounts of oil, or leaked it. I had an 87 Starion with the turbocharged/intercooled 2.6, and that leaked rivers of oil until I could afford to have the turbo replaced. And one of the Dodge D-50's I had, burned it like there was no tomorrow. However, to be fair, it did have over 200k on the odometer when I got it. The Ford motor gave me no problems until I put the wrong size battery in it, and the alternator literally chewed a hole in the side of it, spraying battery acid all over the engine which ate away the wiring, and the Mustang just stopped dead. (Go figure )
    Jim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast