Thread: It's my turn to ask about tires now

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Question It's my turn to ask about tires now

What's the tallest tire you reckon can fit on the back of a van? I'm tossing around the idea of raking the van, old school style—that is, rear tires that are taller than the front. Something like either stock size or 215-65-15 in the front, and 215-75-15 in the rear, or maybe even 225-75-15. That size seems to be used mostly on small trucks, so the tires have a higher weight rating than standard car tires, which would help a bit when I need to haul something.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 201k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Transmission time, again. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles. Current DD.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

IMHO, a taller tire in the back can only look good if it's also wider than the front, and by a fair amount. So let's say you keep the stock size on front (205/70?), then go with a 225/70 on the rear.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    91Bonneville LE, 91 Bonneville SSE, 95 Bonneville SE, 95 Pontiac Transport

I had 235 60 16's on the rear with spacers( I think 5mm ) but on the drivers side the tire would rub the plastic shield for the fill tube... Also had issues on the front and ran 10mm spacers... The tires I was running were All season high performance directional... But the load rating was 100, max PSI was 51... They were H rated as well..

When I find a set of Bonneville wheels that will look at home on the van( GM called them 18 spoke ), looked a lot like the ones the van had... I will run the same tires as above but in a 225 60 16... I will most likely run 5mm spacers front and rear...

Not sure if that really helped, but just a thought of sorts...