Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news everyone!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Exclamation Good news everyone!

I own a van again! It's a red '95 Trans Sport with the 3.8. Pictures tomorrow, it's too dark now.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 201k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Transmission time, again. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles. Current DD.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

That ain't right man... playing with our hearts like that. We want pics now!

-Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle

Why didn't you guys tell me how much of a pain in the ass it is to replace the battery on these vans?
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 201k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Transmission time, again. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

Vehicle
    '93 Cutlass Ciera

Is it worse than pulling the sway bar off the front of one of these in a 100-degree junkyard?

Vehicle

Not quite, but it's a lot more hassle than doing it in an A-body. Remove intake tubing and box, remove washer bottle, unbolt left headlight, unbolt strut brace, swing it out of the way, remove that dumb little hold down block because there isn't enough room to even get a wrench on the negative post, pull battery mostly out, unhook terminals. Installation is the reverse of removal. Took like a half hour when it takes five minutes on the Celebrity.
    Daniel

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

to be honest it aint as bad as changing out a bulb in the concorde LX...(remove radiator support, remove radiator, remove headligh t fuse cover, remove 4 or so more items to change one freaking bulb)
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Vehicle

Chrysler was king of wtf engineering with the LH and Sebring/Stratus. Longitudinal FWD? Yeah, okay, Honda did that with the Acura Vigor. Battery in the passenger wheel well? wat

I'm just complaining because I went into it blind. I didn't think it would be any more involved than the Celebrity.
    Daniel

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

well actually the Toronado FWD series in 1970 onwards did the longidituanal FWD with a decently sized v8...lol

believe me, i have NO desire to buy any mid 90s onward MOPAR products...not after dealing with my parents' series of LH and caravans.
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Yay vans.... I really want to see a picture.... Luke's Supreme's battery is like that too, when I first saw it I couldn't figure out why the hell they'd bury them like that. Engineers will come up with wierd stuff when they don't have a lot of space to work with.

Vehicle
    none

The LH sedans are a technological marvel. Just the engineering in the HVAC system alone is mind-boggling. I would gladly own a LH sedan again. I've had two Intrepids, a '96 my wife had when I met her and a '97 I picked up to fix up (but I have owned 8 A-bodies so I DO prefer them). Rebuilt the top of the motor in the second one myself and enjoyed the learning experience. They FEEL more like a full-size car. I'm not thrilled with the engine cradle and steering systems, but there ARE permanent fixes for them. The overdrive automatics were more reliable in the longitudinal format and the 3.3 was a stout motor to begin with. I'm not a fan of the 3.5/3.2/2.7 engine family but I'll take a torquey pushrod 3.3L.

I think I want a Concorde next time. New Yorker and LHS were 3.5 only. Intrepids have white faced gauges. Visions were floorshift only. At least that's what I recall. And it's hard to find any of them with a 3.3 engine, but a 96-97 Concorde in dark blue over cloth interior with the 3.3 would be perfect. I like the way they look. If GM had used cab forward design, it would have made a great LeSabre:

Maybe I'll do some badge engineering myself and put LeSabre and Buick badges and lettering on one and confuse some people. There is a white '97 coming up at an impound auction in Bryan next month. With window tint and cloth upholstery, even (not sure which engine though). I do seem to be a sucker for white cars although I claim to like dark blue, gray, and black ones all the time. White makes sense in this part of the country. It does have the gold-trimmed wheels and the tan interior, and I do hope I can sell the Ciera by then in order to bid on it. Trying to get $850 for a car isn't easy with a busted column and a leaky rad. I'm working on it though.
    Alan Moore - TOAD Roadside - Worthington, OH

08 Cobalt LT sedan, black, 209K, Doordash and UberEATS beater

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

One of my old girlfriends developed an obsession with the LH cars. She wanted a Vision in particular, and I must have test driven a couple dozen of them with her. Cool looking cars, especially for the time. I liked all of the Eagle models actually, it's too bad they were nothing more than a badge brand, like Geo.

I prefer the longitudinal mount, but sadly not many cars have it these days. And it seems like most cars made after 1990 are a pain to work on, it's almost like they want to frustrate you into giving their dealership service departments some billable hours. I shouldn't need a full socket set to change a headlight or air filter. In fact I shouldn't need any tools at all for those!

I remember telling my dad I was going out to change the headlight on my Legacy, and I was back inside within 90 seconds. My dad automatically got up from his chair to help, assuming I was having some kind of problem. Instead I was snapping off the rubber glove I'd worn and tossing the old bulb in the trash. I ended up having to reenact the procedure for him, because he didn't believe it could be done that fast and without tools. But that's how it should be! That car, like all cars, wasn't perfect - but at least the simple things were just that: simple.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle

Kneel, Peasants! Kneel before your Emperor!

VERY RED

Standard terrible paint.

BUICK POWER

Full gauges

173,615 miles

Not exactly local.

It has these pretty nifty saddlebags in the back, both sides.

Aft to fore.

Best feature: power sliding door.

It has all five of the rear seats, I just took one out since I didn't need it. I'll be removing all of them shortly, since I'm going to get it smogged and I don't really need to carry around an extra 200 pounds of seats if I'm by myself. It has the FE1 soft ride suspension, but the quick ratio rack. Transmission needs to be serviced, it's a bit jerky and sticky, and the fluid looks a bit old. It's also leaking from what looks like the pan gasket, which should be fixed by replacing the filter.

I think I did pretty well. I paid $1400, blue book is closer to $2700. So far I've put a battery in it, and will have the transmission serviced.

The Century will probably be on the chopping block soon so I can pay for the repairs to the Celebrity. Anybody want it? $1200!

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    Kneel, Peasants! Kneel before your Emperor!

!
    What if i refuse!!!!.

good looking van hope it does well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Looks great! If you drive on the freeway much, you will soon find out that when going 70mph, the needle blocks the right turn indicator.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Great van, and it is VERY red. Looks great though Glad to hear you're going to be getting the Celebrity fixed up too, stinks that you have to sell the Century for it, but now that you have the van I'm sure you won't mind. I really like vans, they come in handy so often, I notice that alot more now that the Voyager is gone :/ Congrats on the new ride.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast