Thread: 4.3L Diesel

Vehicle
    1984 Pontiac 6000, 1994 Buick Century

Default 4.3L Diesel

Who has one and lets hear about them, both good and bad... I have owned a few A-bodies but none with the diesel.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

There are ony two people in the forum that own one....and they are both being rebuilt. If that tells you anything. ;-) Mayhap they'll be build better than factory!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    There are ony two people in the forum that own one....and they are both being rebuilt. If that tells you anything. ;-) Mayhap they'll be build better than factory!

Ken T.
    mine had 90k on it the onyl restion why i rebuild it was it had been over heated to the point that on of the piston melted and the ring lost tenstion. if that had not been the case the motor would have been good to 200k plus

this piston would have brocken in two or more piece with in 5k less if i drove it hard

the 4.3lt are decent motors, that dont have any problems of the 5.7's (which are fxed with a DX block and head studs)

i fell that decnt power to make the rather driveable (these vid were taken befor the rebuild) the white smoke it blow by and super low compression causeing white smoke due to unburned diesel. a few notes i have a 3.65 ratio rear but the over all ratios from 2nd to 4th are the same a the 3 speed with 2.84's. well just a touch lower but not really
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1o0K9xasKo (2nd to 4th gear)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_5PShhrgc

http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthr...rebuild-thread
    it build a little better then factory but i plan on a turbo

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle

Good stuff, I was reading your build over the last couple of days. About a year ago I had passed on an '83 Olds with one and bought a 1990 Crown Vic instead (I do not regret buying it). Now that I have the Century it would be nice to eventually pull the 3100 and stuff a 4.3L in it so all this info really helps. Finding one of these cars is gonna be a b*tch though.

Vehicle

i seen a few for sale over the years and the fetch about 1500 if they run. i would like to find a spare one for parts and or a cleaner body

most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle

Is the wiring harness and all that good in the car you have? It may be just as easy to pick up a '94 or so Century and just clean it up, plumb new fuel lines etc. Then just swap in the dash and wiring harness from you '82. Most of the parts across the entire line seem to be pretty easily swapped so it might be an easy way to get a nice car to go with the diesel.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock View Post
    i seen a few for sale over the years and the fetch about 1500 if they run. i would like to find a spare one for parts and or a cleaner body
    What kind of mileage can you get with one of those....driven nicely. I've heard exagerated stores on the big 98 5.7 diesels. Can you break 30 mpg with a 4.3? Does the A/C add any drag, or does the diesel just shrug it off?

Ken T.

Vehicle

You should be able to see 30s or up to 40mpg from what I hear, if you have a heavy foot then obviously less. It all depends on how you drive it. AC Should be a non issue, I really don't see much difference on any engine of reasonable size with or without a/c. Without owning one obviously this is just going with what I have heard though.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    What kind of mileage can you get with one of those....driven nicely. I've heard exagerated stores on the big 98 5.7 diesels. Can you break 30 mpg with a 4.3? Does the A/C add any drag, or does the diesel just shrug it off?

Ken T.
    i heard a few (you will have to ask oldstrubodiesel he drives hos more but i heard mid to high 30's it normal. im looking to push mine into the 40's.
    though out my life I haven't noticed any ac system not on a under powered 4 banger that really effectied fuel eco.......the on i can think of that did was my friend (very well running 4wd tercel and it acted as a break below 3 grand)

00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI