Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random bucking and stalling

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Does fuel pressure regulator sound like a possibility? The van started today and ran just fine. I shut it off after a few minutes and it wouldn't restart. I can hear the pump running. I'll check for spark tomorrow.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 201k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Transmission time, again. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles. Current DD.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

FPR will not cause this. It can cause a no-start, but only by flooding the engine. If the FPR fails, the engine will flood and fuel will come out the exhaust so bad you will smell it after one or two start attempts.

This sounds like an ignition or crank sensor issue.

I just had this problem with my 89 Ciera Coupe w/3.3. The problem at first was a slight rough idle and then after a few weeks it died like I had turned key off and would not restart until it cooled off. Turns out I had one injector that was shorting out (no ohms) and was causing all injectors not to squirt fuel, hence no start. Finally discovered if I unplugged the one injector that was bad it would run on the other five injectors (though a little rough) but at least I finally got it home. I should add that there were times when heat played no part in restart since at times it would not start no matter how long the car sat. Hopes this helps.

Vehicle

I doubt it's bad injectors, since this engine runs sequential fuel injection, not batch fire like the 3.3.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 201k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Transmission time, again. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

Vehicle

Crank sensor replaced, all is well.
    Daniel

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

How long did it take?
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle

A couple hours, I guess. I had to have a shop do it, since I am contractually prohibited from working on my car in my apartment complex.
    Daniel

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Oh good point, that's right. I remember when security rolled by while I was refilling the coolant in my Legacy. I thought I was gonna get busted but they just ignored me. Apparently coolant doesn't count.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle
    '93 Cutlass Ciera

So it's running like a true emperor finally?

Vehicle

Yeah. I had taken to calling it Princess George instead because of how pissy he was being.
    Daniel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12