Having a little trouble with the van I just bought. 1995 Trans Sport, 3.8. Prior to this, the check engine light would come on randomly when starting the van. Shutting it off and restarting would turn the light off. Recently though, the engine will cough while driving and turn the light on. Last night, when going to a job, it stalled while idling in my parking spot, then when I was waiting at a traffic light, it died and wouldn't restart for a while. This of course upset the people behind me, but what could I do? I got it started again and moved to a nearby parking lot, where it stalled twice more while just idling. I tried tapping on the MAF sensor and the coil packs to see if they're at fault, but I got no immediate response.

I'm a little baffled. I know it's not transmission-related, since it happens both in drive while moving and in neutral while stopped. I don't know how to read check engine codes from a '95. The "paperclip trick" probably doesn't work, huh? I don't really have any money to pay for a diagnostic at a shop. Any ideas?