Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer

Vehicle
    none

Default Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer

I did a review on DetailCity of the kit I used to refresh the headlights on my wife's Durango. Now it's my belief that A-body cars have all glass headlight capsules. But if you own something else, or want to polish your corners or fog lights or turn signals or whatever, this kit really gets the job done, and it's under $10 (I paid $8.47 at a notoriously high priced Wal-Mart in Hillsboro, TX). Here's a link to my review, skads of pictures, lots of rambling...

Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer review by occupant
    Alan Moore - TOAD Roadside - Worthington, OH

08 Cobalt LT sedan, black, 209K, Doordash and UberEATS beater

Nice. That turned out really well for not having a machine to buff with.
    1989 Formula 350, 2002 Bonneville SE
    DON
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

Vehicle
    none

That's what every thread about headlight polishing seems to come down to. All these professional detailers are all like, "uuuuuuh you hafta use dat buffer mang" and I just wanted to prove them wrong. Good process works even if you have a half-ass product. All I needed was a variety of sandpaper (the little sanding pads work real good) and some form of fluids to lube and polish with. This $8 kit is a lot better for us broke-ass people than some $120 random orbital and $45 worth of polishes and waxes.

I'll post a couple pics here for reference...here's the before...

after the first two sanding pads...

and after both sides of the third sanding pad...

and after the polish was applied and I buffed it with a sock. No seriously, I used a sock, it's like a terry towel, right?...

That from an $8 kit you can buy at any Wal-Mart. Or spend $100+ to have a detailer do it for you. I know what I picked...

Vehicle
    1984 Pontiac 6000, 1994 Buick Century

Looks good but what does Turtle Wax use to protect the headlight after the original finish is sanded off? (some have a clear coat)

Vehicle
    none

It's that little white pouch with a towelette in it. Sealant cures in 24 hours it says. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm happy to do it again every few months. Just seeing the yellow gone was an awesome feeling.

Vehicle

Yeah, and its amazing just how much it cuts down on visibility when they turn yellow. Another option after polishing is to go to a body shop and get a few coats of clear sprayed on them.

I have used the 3M kit on the SHO and was very pleased with the results. It sounds like the turtle wax kit is similar to the 3M kit. The 3M kit has a pad that is chucked into a drill motor. Using three different grit sanding pads to polish out the yellowed plastic lens, then a sealer to finish up. The 3M kit will do about three cars. I polished out the SHO lenses about 9 months ago and they still look clear. No signs of cloudiness or yellowing so far.

One other thing I forgot to mention is.....I recommend using some body masking tape to apply around the painted portion of the body so the paint is not scratched during the three sanding steps.....Worked great for me....

Vehicle
    none

Another reason the Turtle Wax kits works so nice...no buffer, drill, or air/electricity needed. Do it in the middle of the night on the side of the road if you want. And the pads are kinda small so would be pretty tough to scratch up the paint. If you do, use the lens clarifier to polish it smooth again.

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Always love these before and after shots. Wish there was a kit to fix the bullseye stone impact in my driver's side headlight.

But wait, you said they were glass? Hmm, I just assumed plastic and that I was lucky they weren't yellowed.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle
    none

I believe A-body headlights are all glass. Every Celebrity, Ciera, and Century I've owned has had glass headlights. 87-89-89 Celebritys, 89-90 Cieras, and 88-89-92-95 Centurys. Of course, I am only assuming they all do. That's probably why they always look so good compared to Tauruses, Intrepids, and others from the same eras that used plastic headlight lenses. These Durango lights are plastic. But really, after 206K miles and ten years, I can't expect much better from a plastic that braves the elements at high speed like they do.

Vehicle

Yeah, all A cars had glass and they all attract rocks like magnets. Glass has its good points but if you live where they "sand" the roads plastic is better. I wonder how something like Ricochet would help to keep the plastic from pitting and yellowing?

Vehicle
    1990 Cutlass Ciera SL / holiday brougham trim / flowmaster 40 / intake / tint / needs paintjob

Time to dust off the orbital again. Will try one side by hand and see if the results are any different.

Thanks for posting the information on the headlight clear-up kit. Nice job on the headlights too!
    George

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Yep. All glass, I've replaced three of them over the years....

Ken T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast