Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dust Buster Race Car...help needed

Quote Originally Posted by OnkelUdo View Post
    Actually it would be a four-wire with the description on that pages as the 10V reference voltage is not listed..
    99 malibu 2.4 alternator wiring

Show me a diagram....

C = Field Duty cycle is the one that reads 10V which only exists on most cars as the regulated voltage for any items that use a modified potentiometer like the fuel level sensor, etc.

C = Field Duty cycle is the one that reads 10V...
    When a "switched 12V source (from the ignition switch and through the ignition warning light indicator or "idiot light")" goes thru a light bulb, its voltage will drop.

So, when key switch is turned on, the alternator terminal is "grounded," so the idiot light is lit; but when vehicle is running, 12-Volts (and higher) is sent from alternator terminal to light bulb, which is off. Hence, when running, the idiot light has 12 volts on both sides of it, so it does not light up.

Hence, 10 Volt reading is the voltage drop caused via light bulb.

Never seen that level of drop but I do not doubt it. Used to the standard 13.6V drop to about 12V but if the battery was already depleted, 10V might make sense. In my Eurotrash world 12v for the exciter, through the bulb is 11.5-12V...no exceptions. Volvo, Mercedes, BMW all use this standard and when the bulb is out, alternator STILL charges when you hit about 2500 RPM's as it self-excites.

So obviously out of my element.

....alternator STILL charges when you hit about 2500 RPM's as it self-excites.
    Unknown...via Bosch alternators, I don't think so if exciter wire is not hooked up...at least via forum talk that is the case.

After scanning tidbits from a Corvette forum, below, I'd sure double check your alternator...if it has four wires, then MAYBE:

When the engine is running, the generator turn-on signal is sent to the generator from the engine control module (ECM), turning on the regulator. The generator's voltage regulator controls current to the rotor, thereby controlling the output voltage. The rotor current is proportional to the electrical pulse width supplied by the regulator. When the engine is started, the regulator senses generator rotation by detecting AC voltage at the stator through an internal wire. Once the engine is running, the regulator varies the field current by controlling the pulse width. This regulates the generator output voltage for proper battery charging and electrical system operation. The generator F terminal is connected internally to the voltage regulator and externally to the ECM. When the voltage regulator detects a charging system problem, it grounds this circuit to signal the ECM that a problem exists. The ECM monitors the generator field duty cycle signal circuit. The system voltage sense circuit receives B+ voltage that is Hot At All Times through the HORN/ALT SENSE fuse in the underhood junction block. This voltage is used by the regulator as the reference for system voltage control. On vehicles that use a sense circuit connected to the voltage regulator, this circuit must be operating properly for the charging system to work correctly, when there is a charging system concern all circuits at the generator should be tested.

For reasons that will probably make no sense, we would like to maintain the electric fore-aft adjustment of the drivers seat. Does this portion of the electric seat easily separate from the rest of the seat?
    Took a look at this yesterday. The seat just unbolts from the base, leaving a relatively level, flat surface.

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

You should be able to get decent camber without a plate, although you won't be invited to join the stance club. I would probably try and figure out how to get some caster instead of more camber. They caster is 0, because they really didn't know how to setup fwd cars when they started this platform, a little caster will probably help you a lot more than some more camber.

Vehicle
    1985 Chevrolet Celebrity Sedan (2.8 2-bbl. V6, THM-125, JA2)

OnkelUdo,

I don't know if you're still looking for urethane bushings, but Prothane 7-304 bushings take care of the front control arms. They're marketed for the rear control arms of '84-'87 Fieros which just happens to be the same part number for the front of Dustbuster vans and A/X bodies. The only downside is that you have to use the old, outer, metal shells from the old bushings and insert the new urethane bushings into those shells. Not a big deal, but a little bit of elbow grease. I got mine from Jegs, they seem to be the least expensive:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Prothane/311/7-304-BL/10002/-1
    1985 Chevy Celebrity Sedan (2.8-X, THM125, JA2, F41)
    1954 Chevy 3100 Pickup (235 I-6, SM420)
    1994 Toyota Camry LE Coupe (2.2, A140)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gold View Post
    OnkelUdo,

I don't know if you're still looking for urethane bushings, but Prothane 7-304 bushings take care of the front control arms. They're marketed for the rear control arms of '84-'87 Fieros which just happens to be the same part number for the front of Dustbuster vans and A/X bodies. The only downside is that you have to use the old, outer, metal shells from the old bushings and insert the new urethane bushings into those shells. Not a big deal, but a little bit of elbow grease. I got mine from Jegs, they seem to be the least expensive:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Prothane/311/7-304-BL/10002/-1
    Good to know. Probably not making it in right away as our cage shipped today and we already have at least 4 weekends of work in paid-for parts.

To all following this, we likely will have some important progress over this weekend. Battery relocation (I would do that even if it were not for weight distribution...what a terrible location!), sound NVH mat removal, kill switch wiring, paint removal for cage base plates, ALIGNMENT!, race seat mounting, rear disc conversion, etc...Not all of it will happen this weekend but most should at least get started.

Next weekend we have another team coming down to help (the dustbuster has a fan club) so we will see how many bodies we can throw at the problem.

Vehicle

Which team, I can actually think of 2 local illinois teams that may be interested. Hell Crabspirits has talked about running a dustbuster for years,

(Crabspirits is captain of the team that made the MetSho, this vehicle is actually a Geo metro that they shoved a Taurus SHO drivetrain in the back)

although he got distracted by the motorcycled engined subaru 360.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3KI0mvw47g (a test drive of this wonderful idea of a deathtrap)

I think I'll be free next weekend too. According to how secretive you want this build to be you might even tempt Judge Eric to come out, make a whole big Lemon party. Actually don't call it a Lemon Party, cause that is already a thing on the internet and it really isn't what you will want this to be.
    Last edited by lemons bob; 11-14-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Vehicle
    1990 Buick Century Custom 3.3 "T-Type" sedan

Since your all helping, you could call it Lemon-Aid
    Roads.... Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by thesam1984 View Post
    Since your all helping, you could call it Lemon-Aid
    That may get confused by a different team with their metro running a bmw e30 drivetrain.

Vehicle
    1990 Buick Century Custom 3.3 "T-Type" sedan

Quote Originally Posted by lemons bob View Post
    That may get confused by a different team with their metro running a bmw e30 drivetrain.
    I like their number, 53, a nod to Herbie, small car who races with the big dogs
    Roads.... Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by thesam1984 View Post
    I like their number, 53, a nod to Herbie, small car who races with the big dogs
    well and for the majority of its races it was running the stock 3 banger. They also race for a charity and the handprints I believe were all done by kids the charity helps.

It is the Product Design Saturn team. They are coming all the way down from Northern Michigan to join the "party". Please, feel free to join.

We are trying to do a barbecue at my or our "Team Mom's" place Saturday night. Waiting on confirmation for how many we will have. I am in that awkward position of putting up an army in the spare 900 sq ft that is my second floor but post-divorce, no furniture up there at all. I have collected all the airbeds from all the neighbors!

The core team is wanting to announce this at the appropriate time. You know the issue, though...tell the greater racing community it is coming and someone might snipe us since we do not think we can manage the haul, team logistics and everything else for Barber...though we want to.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast