Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Of An L67 Trans Sport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vehicle
    1989 W45 Ciera Int'l Coupe

Default Death Of An L67 Trans Sport

I'll have to add to this later, but the long and short of "what happened to my van" is this: I was on my way home from work on September 9, 2010, approaching an intersection with a green light. Two vehicles made a safe turn in front of me, leaving one car waiting to turn. He waited until I got near, then started making his turn, then stopped in my path. The road I was on had a 50mph (80km/h) speed limit, and it crossed a highway which had a nice rise in the middle of it. By the time I saw what the other driver was doing and tried to brake and avoid I was already hitting the rise at the center of the intersection, and there was dirt all over the place from the overpass in the background of a few of the pics being constructed. I therefore couldn't do much of either swerving or stopping. I hit the '06 Chrysler 300 head-on, passenger corner to passenger corner. When I saw the driver start to make the turn I had hoped I could swerve around his rear as he made the turn. But he stopped instead, right in my path. Game over for one modded '92 Trans Sport van, and one man's dream of having the fastest dustbuster in town.

I drove the van about a mile down the road to my brother's place where I currently have it sitting until I get another van. I didn't want to scrap it and then have to hunt for parts when I get my next van, if I needed any. I am not sure yet whether I will reuse this drivetrain (it only has 165K on it), or a Series II, or a 4.9L. All I know is that I want another fiberglass U-van.

I had started swerving to my left just before I hit the Chrysler, so you can see how much the back of the van kicked over as a result of the hit - it was facing the right side of the road when it came to rest.

I'd say this thing did pretty good considering it just took a 40mph+ corner-to-corner hit!

Poor girl, looks so beat up - and she WAS!

Thankfully the 5-stars didn't get damaged.

Passenger side rad support bar pushed through strut tower...

Front corner was pushed in a good 1', bending the body's subframe downwards - I'm fairly sure it tweaked the cradle as well, but I won't know until I get it out, probably in the spring.

The rad and fan were pushed back into the front of the engine. It even folded over one of the sparkplug wires, but amazingly the engine still ran beautifully on it's way to my bro's!

So that's about it for the moment. Like I said, I'm not totally sure what the fate of this drivetrain will be. I'm not going to just scrap it, however. If someone's in need of a '92 Series I 3800 SC with approx 165K miles (265K km), let me know. I'll even remove it myself (in the spring) and give a reasonable price on it! But it may go into the next van I get if I don't go with a 4.9L or a Series II. If I was REALLY brave I'd try a Northstar, but...I don't know if I'm ready for that yet or not.
    http://www.screech.ws/
    01 Chev 2500HD (4x4), Vortec 8100, 496ci BBC, 3.73 gears, CCSB
    98 Chev K2500 (4x4), Vortec 350, 4.10 gearing, ECLB 155.5" WB
    98 Chev C2500 (2wd), Vortec 350 w/SFI kit, 3.73 gears, ECLB 155.5" WB
    89 Olds Cutlass Ciera W45 Int'l Coupe
    76 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham BBC
    95 Pontiac Trans Sport SE (US Model), 3800HO
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport GT
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport SE, S1 3800SC L67 - R.I.P. 2010-09-09

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

sad day. on the other hand you still should have a good drive train and parts van. so the next swap would be rather easy

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Looks like your van had some rust issues that didn't help it in the crash. By looking at that 300, and the shape of your van's nose, I can guarantee that the 300 has LOTS of damage that cannot be seen from the outside.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

that'll buff out.....after replacing everything up front and replacing frame and spending time and months on an unibody adjusting machine and using BFHs.....lol ouch. I agree with 86euro, the 300C probably had alot of damage underneath the sheetmetal..it sucks you're now down a van
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Vehicle
    '93 Cutlass Ciera

I noticed in your signature a couple of months back that you had listed the van as R.I.P., but didn't recall seeing anything about what happened. I am glad you are not going to let this deter you, and are already planning for your next van...

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Wow, I know you told me about it after it first happened but that's still so sad. With that being said and with the speed at impact it did do a great job of keeping you safe and holding together considering the age of it and where you live. Again glad that you're ok, and hopefully you'll be able to find another van soon to turn into another beastly dustbuster. I don't understand why the other driver didn't punch it though, I mean if he was going to block your path by stopping anyways... but then again most people these days have so many safety features on their cars they become completely mindless about driving.

Hi Screech, I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like both cars did a great job of protecting their occupants. From the looks of your photos the van was starting to rust. Will Canada allow importation of a southern USA van?

I've got the same problem with rust here is Wisconsin. The winter salt and other road chemicals really do damage to a car. It looks like in your case the substructure was starting to rust out. Am I reading too much into the pictures or was the car in much better shape than I assumed?

George

Vehicle

Hey George, nah, it was indeed starting to have rust issues. I was going to have to address them sooner rather than later, but this "event" sorta negated the need for that. I had done my best to stay on top of any rust that had formed, with the exception of the passenger strut tower. I pulled all of the interior out of the back and patched the rear wheelwells and sprayed the wheel side of the rear wells with undercoating a couple times. I also had to do a floor patch near the driver footwell. All in all it wasn't too bad. Many thanks go to the fiberglass body.

As for importing a US vehicle, yes, it absolutely can be done. I bought a '90 Sunbird GT a while back off eBay and brought that into Canada. If the vehicle is 15 years old or older it's the easiest because you don't have to go put it through the Registrar Of Imported Vehicles Program that newer vehicles have to be put through, which involves extra cost and inspections and whatnot. I'm looking at getting a '93-96 Silhouette out of the States - whatever year they went to the smoothed out bumper with the wrap-around marker lights in the bumper, it was either '93 or '94. They are my favourite U-van as far as looks and features go, and you could NOT get them in Canada. :S If anyone knows of a decent Silhouette near the Niagara Falls area, please feel free to let me know! I'm looking to keep it sub-$1500 though. I have a line on a '96 in Pennsylvania that has a puked engine, so it would sorta HAVE to be changed then. HAHAH

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Don't forget that in '96 the only engine option was the 3400 SFI. If you do get that '96, I would source a 3500 from a '04-'06 Malibu. It's the same block so it will bolt to the transmission and mounts, and makes like 20 hp over a 3400, without a fuel economy penalty. Hit up 60degreev6.com for more details.

Vehicle
    91Bonneville LE, 91 Bonneville SSE, 95 Bonneville SE, 95 Pontiac Transport

Sorry to see that Screech..... But glad that you were ok...

I think if he gets a 96 van he should update to a newer 3800 Series II/III and OBD2 just for giggles... More torque, and fuel efficiency just as good as the 3500... either will work but thats my opinion...

Screech are those W Body Olds wheels on that van? And what size tires did you have on it?

Vehicle

They definitely look like Cutlass Supreme five spokes. And my suggestion of a 3500 in the '96 is the simplest route to take, since they're both Chevrolet engines. That'll make it easier when it comes to emissions inspections, if they are required where he lives. Just slap on a 3400 upper intake instead of the 3500 and no one will be the wiser.

Vehicle
    91Bonneville LE, 91 Bonneville SSE, 95 Bonneville SE, 95 Pontiac Transport

Ahhh yes very true... I often overlook that as there is no emissions testing here... and I have a 95, so i went from the series I 3800 to a Series III with a series II upper and Throttle Body... Most would look at this and go " oh its a 3800 " Even says 3800 on the fenders ...

But yes I do understand and agree, for emissions/inspection purposes the 3500 would be the way to go with the 96...

I was wondering about his wheels as I am running 16" Bonneville rims with 235 60 16 tires but am using 10mm spacers to do so... I am either going to find another way to make this work, or I am going to use 215 65 15 tires on the stock 15" Trans Sport rims... I am about ready to give up with the issues I am having with the larger tires and slap them on my 95 Bonneville...

Vehicle

Hey guys. The wheels are indeed 16" Cutlass wheels. They're for my International, but since it's not on the road yet I threw them on the van last summer to give my Winterforces a break. I don't recall the spec of the tires for certain off the top of my head, but I believe they were 215/60/16s. I believe that was the equivalent tire to the stock size - I checked it on TireRack.com before I bought them.

For the engine, if I get a '96 U-van, I will run the 3400 for now, but since the van would uses an OBD-II system already I would definitely be looking to install a Series-II engine, likely an L67 (if I don't go with a V8). I realize that the 3500 would be the easiest route as far as an upgrade would go, but I don't always take the easiest route (ie: installing a supercharged engine/trans into my last van because the tranny went). I prefer to do something a little different vs. something that's easy. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment? The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking a Northstar would be a nifty swap in the van... Emissions ARE required where I live, but the guy I go to for them doesn't care too much about what engine is in there. When I took the supercharged van to him his reaction was "well, let's just test it first and see if it passes", and pass it did, so that was the end of it. I think as long as I have a good cat and all the factory emissions equipment in place from whatever engine I install, it should be able to pass the sniffer no probs.

Speaking of the 3400 to 3500 swap, why not go straight to a 3900 if I were sticking with a 60-degree? Did they have VVT and the 3500 didn't? And what about DBW (drive by wire)?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SCREECH View Post
    Speaking of the 3400 to 3500 swap, why not go straight to a 3900 if I were sticking with a 60-degree? Did they have VVT and the 3500 didn't? And what about DBW (drive by wire)?
    That's correct, and that's why I specifically said '04-06 LX9. It does have electronic throttle control, but you can just swap a cable-based throttle body and call it a day. It should run on the stock computer without issue since it's basically an overbored (2 mm) 3400 with different heads and intake. The later versions ('07+) of the 3500, however, are a destroked 3900, and as you say, are also DBW and VVT. It's apparently a "simple" matter of swapping a non-VVT cam and disabling the feature in the computer if you go with the 3.9, but the non-VVT 3.5 is "easiest".

As for your original swap, I'd say only having to add three wires to the stock harness is pretty damn easy.

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

are you able to get the FWD LS3 v8s up there?
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast