Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project: 89 Pontiac 6000 STE AWD

Vehicle
    1989 Buick Century Custom Coupe, Grand Prix GTP 1998

THAT my friend is a pure gold find!
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanizeddeath
    I mean there's a lot more than can go horribly wrong with car than when your iPod dock stops working due to a solder job so bad that my dog could do better.
    " Since little or nothing is known about the principles involved in magneto reluctance, diagnosing faults can be a problem ... "  & " treat all other problems as if they do not exsist . "

Vehicle
    Several A-bodies and other stray vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gold View Post
    Mad Hatter,

The other night I was looking over some 4T65 stuff and discovered they made an AWD version of the 4T65 for the U-Vans and other AWD applications (Pontiac Aztek, Buick Rendezvous and others) :

I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about this transmission, but I figure if there was another AWD transmission that would _maybe_ wedge in place of the TH125C AWD, it would be the 4T65-AWD... although like all projects of this nature, I'm sure it would require some serious work.

I'd think the 4T65-AWD transmission could handle a little more torque and horsepower then the TH125 AWD transmission, especially since it was originally installed in vehicles much heavier then the 6000 AWD. The LWB Chevy Uplander AWD's 3.5L, 200hp/220ft. lbs. of torque V-6 was coupled to the 4T65E-AWD and it weighed 4,600lbs, so I bet a standard 205hp/220ft. lbs. of torque McLauren Turbo 3.1 setup would be no problem for this transmission...
    GOOD information! I'll have to look into that and see if 1) it would wedge in there in place of the 125C, 2) the driveshaft output would line up with the original location of the driveshaft and 3) how i would wire it into the AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gold View Post
    A 6000 AWD with a 4-speed overdrive transmission and a 205hp, 220lb. ft. torque turbo-charged 3.1, that looked factory, would be a hoot!

- Cory
    THAT, is exactly what i'd like to have when i'm done with this!

As an update, i've been putting the correct side trim pieces on the car recently, along with the correct bumper covers. So far have the rear and the front done, just have the doors left to do. Still gotta find that oil pressure sending unit (anyone know where it is, my books don't even mention it), and figure out the lopey idle it has decided to have.
    1986 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport -- RS Transformation in process
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera XC Special Edition -- saved from the scrap heap
    1989 Pontiac 6000 STE AWD - turbo someday
    1993 Buick Century - supercharged GS (not a real one) project
    1994 GMC Suburban SLE 2500 2wd
    1997 Saturn SW1 -- The daily driver
    1978 Pontiac Sunbird coupe -- Iron Duke powered!
    1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

The oil pressure sending unit is located just next to the oil filter. Its a long cylindrical sending unit, with either 2 or 3 wires on the end..

Surging Idle? Idle Air Controler maybe?
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac6ksteawd View Post
    The oil pressure sending unit is located just next to the oil filter. Its a long cylindrical sending unit, with either 2 or 3 wires on the end..

Surging Idle? Idle Air Controler maybe?
    Thanks Brian. I haven't figured out the idle thing yet, checked for vacuum leaks but was unable to locate any. I put some fuel injector cleaner in with this last tank of fuel just in case its a dirty injector from sitting as well.

1989 Formula 350, 2002 Bonneville SE
    DON
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

Vehicle

Great find! Purchased it!

AWESOME MAN!!!! Glad I could help!
    DON
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

If you decide to use the 4T65E gearbox, I can give you all sorts of advice, wiring harness diagrams, and transmission ECM information for it. I adapted one to my 84 Century with a stand-alone transmission ECM.
    Sincerely,

It would DEFINATELY hold up to a McLaren Turbo 3.1 engine.

David

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    If you decide to use the 4T65E gearbox, I can give you all sorts of advice, wiring harness diagrams, and transmission ECM information for it. I adapted one to my 84 Century with a stand-alone transmission ECM.
    Sincerely,

It would DEFINATELY hold up to a McLaren Turbo 3.1 engine.

David
    Thanks David! I will definately take you up on that info when i get to that stage. IF that driveshaft output will line up ok with the rest of the stock driveline, i should be in business.

A quick update...I haven't done anything with the AWD lately. My VW has been under the wrench lately (since its my daily driver gotta keep it up more often). I'm planning on a tune up and oil change plus a new oil pressure sending unit for the AWD this weekend.

Vehicle

Quick update: After a tune up/oil change and a new oil pressure sending unit, the AWD is running fine...mostly. When its up to temp, the oil pressure still tanks out to the bottom at idle, even with the new sending unit. At speed going down the road, its right at 40psi. I can't figure it out. I did notice when i changed out the sending unit that there was oil inside the connector. I left it disconnected for several days and wiped it off as good as possible before reconnecting it, but perhaps it still has oil in it causing the wacky reading at temp? When the engine is cold the pressure is at 40psi at idle.

I'm still continuing the transfer of the "good" molding pieces over to the car, along with the ground effects. I'm also transferring parts over from my sadly parted STE (mostly interior trim and some other stuff).

Vehicle

The work continues. I have finished transferring all the good molding pieces over to the car. Looks much better. Also fixed the headlights so that it has a matched set now.

A new problem has cropped up now. After sitting a day, the battery is completely drained. I seem to remember Brian mentioning to me something to disconnect something on the car while working or that would happen but i don't remember what. Maybe he will pass thru.

I also need to find out how i can get the rear air shocks rebuilt so i can get it riding right. Any help with any of this is appreciated!

The work continues...

Good luck with the rear air shocks. You have some options. Tim Anderson used to do this but the price was STEEEEEP. You can also get some rear air suspension struts from an 88/98/lesabre/bonneville of the same era and cut the bottom bracket off them along with the bottom bracket of ours and swap them to the new. I started this endeavor and ended up ruining one of the new struts I bought so I gave up. You just have to be REALLY careful also when welding the brackets back on the new struts, too much heat will make them burst.
    DON

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Good luck with the rear air shocks. You have some options. Tim Anderson used to do this but the price was STEEEEEP.
    I've heard this name before, Brian mentioned it to me when i picked up the car, but i don't know who that is. How steep is steep?

I've also considered looking into finding a shock (not an air shock) that may fit?

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

No Shocks will fit it. And rebuilding your current set is the only option. Tim Anderson is a forum member over on the RareGM board I think. I will have to send you an email with his contact info. The pricing wasnt to bad considering it had custom welding done, and done well.. About 300-500 for the pair depending on the replacement strut you choose.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac6ksteawd View Post
    No Shocks will fit it. And rebuilding your current set is the only option. Tim Anderson is a forum member over on the RareGM board I think. I will have to send you an email with his contact info. The pricing wasnt to bad considering it had custom welding done, and done well.. About 300-500 for the pair depending on the replacement strut you choose.
    Well, if that's my only option, then that's my only option. Lol. If you can drop me a line with his info, i'd greatly appreciate it! Want to get the old girl back on the road sometime this summer. Does Tim have the ability to "upgrade" these shocks (performance wise), or is it just a stock rebuild?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast