Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Project: 89 Pontiac 6000 STE AWD

IMHO $3-500 is steep. Yuk for a car that is worth MAYBE $900-1200 when those are repaired? I love my STE but I dont know if I love it that much.
    1989 Formula 350, 2002 Bonneville SE
    DON
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

it seems like you should be able to get rid of the air shocks and retro fit standard shocks in the back. I know this is a pretty common thing to do to Mark VIII's when their air suspension fails.

Vehicle
    Several A-bodies and other stray vehicles

Don, you are right, it is steep, but i'm not seeing a whole lot of options.

lemons bob, i'm not sure if a standard shock would work on the independent rear suspension the AWD's have, i haven't looked into it yet. I know for one thing that there is a bracket welded to the air shock that would have to be transferred to any other shock i put in there.
    1986 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport -- RS Transformation in process
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera XC Special Edition -- saved from the scrap heap
    1989 Pontiac 6000 STE AWD - turbo someday
    1993 Buick Century - supercharged GS (not a real one) project
    1994 GMC Suburban SLE 2500 2wd
    1997 Saturn SW1 -- The daily driver
    1978 Pontiac Sunbird coupe -- Iron Duke powered!
    1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

You cannot get rid of the air struts without putting in spring assited Struts. And since there really isnt enough room back there for it, those are out as well. And you would still have to custome fabricate them because of the tie rod links that are part of the struts..

The Lincolns could easily do it because of the air bag was in place of a spring, take out the POS FORD Air bag, and put a rubber insulator down, then the spring, and you were off and running.

The 6000's are air bag, which assists in the operation of the monoleaf spring, is incorperated with the strut. Where would you put a assisting air bag and strut, to replace the current set up?

Hell even the 4 wheel air bag suspension on a Subaru Legacy was easy to swap over to a standard coil over spring suspension. Take out the complete air strut, and replace with a junk yard unit. Unplug the air compressor.

There is a member somewhere out there that managed to custom fabricate a spring assisted strut, but the cost was about the same.

Anyways, Mad Hatter, sent you a PM with Tim Andersons contact info..
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Yeah the main reason nothing else can replace the rear air struts so easy is that they have a tie rod on them as Brian said. With out some fabricating somewhere you cant just replace with other standard air struts or regulars.
    DON
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

Vehicle

Well an email sent to Tim Anderson days and days ago has gone unanswered. I may have to find another way to rebuild these shocks...anyone know of shops?

On a positive note, i have gotten all the power locks and windows functioning like stock. And found the battery drain (power antenna motor), which i will replace soon with the spare i have from the STE.

Vehicle
    1990 6000 SSEi

I didnt read the entire thread, but are automotive shocks even rebuildable? Ive only seen that on powersports.

Yes, you cut the bottom off the STE ones (With the tie rod holder) and then cut the bottom off the NEW one and weld the STE bottom on the new shock. I was in the middle of this when I cut through the second NEW shock getting the bottom off of it and gave up. Still have the two rear struts fm my parts STE that I havent started on and one new strut with no bottom.
    DON

Vehicle

I think Tim said he was cold cutting them off the old strut, and cold spot welding them onto the new strut.

I sent Tim an email, see if he responds to me..
    Brian - Carpe Diem

More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle

Don, i don't have enough confidence in my precision cutting skills, or any welding skills, to take on something as important as my suspension, lol.

Brian, i appreciate you emailing him for me. Hopefully he gets back to you.

I didnt say you had to do it. I was saying thats what needs to be done. I would not weld them either myself but I just used a cut off wheel and a pry bar. You can pretty clearly see the welds on the struts so all you have to do is cut those till they are loose. The one took me almost 2 hours the second took less but youve heard what happened cause I didnt take my time.
    DON

Vehicle

GRRR. Well a round of parts, including a new IAC valve, MAP sensor, fuel filter and oil pressure sensor connector, have failed to cure the lopey ide the car has. I have not been able to hear a vacuum leak. No codes either. Gonna fill it up and put another bottle of STP in it, drive it around some and see if it helps over time. Any other suggestions?

Still hoping Tim exists, lol, but will have to do something for the rear shocks soon. My hope is to cure the idle issue and see if the A/C can be repaired easily, and drive her this summer to work some days (not far, 12 miles one way), while i continue the work on my VW and the Mercedes.

Vehicle

Loping Idle? I just replaced the fuel injectors. The fuel pressure regulator was ok. EGR valve was working fine.. Those are the only things I can think of to recheck..

Still nothing back from Tim... AC, I think I told you about how most of the AC System is new, except the compressor.. I cant remember if the manifold lines are new or not.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

Vehicle

The only other thing i can think of to check is the PCV valve, Brian. That's next. I think it just needs to be run out.

Hoping that the AC just needs some leaks fixed and filled back up with freon.

Vehicle

Well been a month since i updated, basically because i haven't done much work in the last month on the AWD. Been focusing on the Mercedes recently. But i fired up the AWD today and went and filled it up. Seemed to run fine except the oil pressure has once again began dropping to nothing when the engine is up to temp at idle, at which point the engine dies. I believe the engine dying is a safety system that cuts fuel when the oil pressure drops off to near zero, so the whole idle issue and everything may just be linked to this oil pressure issue. From what Brian has told me, there is no reason the engine should be the culprit (only 133K), and i just replace the oil pressure sending unit and the connector that goes to it. When cold the oil pressure is normal. At speed the oil pressure is normal. But on idle at temp it drops to 1 bar on the gauge, the light comes on, it beeps, then the engine dies.

It is quite annoying...

I'm not sure what else to look at for this problem. Any help is appreciated. On the rear shocks front i got a couple email addresses to try and reach Tim Anderson again (Thanks Bill!) and have found a place to get new shocks for a Bonneville of the same vintage should i have to go the route of cutting up shocks. We shall see.

But for now, time to enjoy the holiday. Cheers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast