Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N-body wheels... They work, right?

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Cool N-body wheels... They work, right?

Of course they do.

They're from a '98 Malibu. I've had these wheels sitting in my storage closet for several months now, but only now got the money to have them put on. I swapped the stock tire over, since they're 15". I think they look much better than steels with covers, personally. They're also considerably lighter than the stock wheels.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 201k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Transmission time, again. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles. Current DD.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

Vehicle
    1993 Olds Ceira S, 3300 - 106K - Sapphire blue leather interior

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    Of course they do.

They're from a '98 Malibu. I've had these wheels sitting in my storage closet for several months now, but only now got the money to have them put on. I swapped the stock tire over, since they're 15". I think they look much better than steels with covers, personally. They're also considerably lighter than the stock wheels.
    They look great! I have spent too much time trying to find out which 15" GM wheels will work on my 93 Old's Ciera (JA2).

I think you just added another possibility to the list. If you by chance measured the center bore and backspacing that would be good to document to help those of use looking for wheels. My guess is the center bore would be 70.3mm and but I have no idea about the backspacing. I didn't know to be concerned about the backspacing until I picked up a set of wheels from a Caddy but found they had too much backspacing and didn't work.

Vehicle

Center bore is indeed 70.3. I don't know what the backspacing is, but I don't have any rubbing at all.

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

just so people are aware; 1998+ maybe 1997+ was when the N body series (Malibu, Cutlass, and Grand Am, maybe the final year of Skylark?) switched to 5x115mm bolt pattern; previously, from 1985 to 1996 or 1997, it was 5x100mm (Skylark/SOmerset Regal, Achieva and calais, grand am)
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Vehicle

That is correct. The Malibu and Cutlass jumped onto the redesigned N platform starting in '97, while the Grand Am waited until '99. The Skylark and Achieva were cut after '98.

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

looking very good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle
    1994 Ciera, 3.1 MPI

Default sidetracking a bit if you don't mind

trying to pick up a set of Silhouette wheels for my 94 ciera--you reckon these will go okay?

Vehicle

Yes. I had Silhouette wheels on my Century for a while. 205-65-15 was a very close match to the stock tire size.

Vehicle
    1994 Ciera, 3.1 MPI

Great! Thanks for the confirmation! Woot! or Hurray! or something like that :-)

Vehicle
    RIP Iron Duke '89 Celebrity, Current: 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    Yes. I had Silhouette wheels on my Century for a while. 205-65-15 was a very close match to the stock tire size.

Those wheels look really clean on your Buick!!
    Past A-Bodies: 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity w/ Iron Duke, base model.
    Current A-Body: 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser 2.8L

Vehicle

You guys will like this. I went to Discount Tire to have the wheels rebalanced due to a bit of highway-speed vibration. The guy who wrote me up asked me what happened to the stock wheels. Well, they were steel and not in very good shape, so they went into the dumpster. Then he kept telling me that the wheels I have aren't the "right" wheels for the van. Well duh, they're from a '98 Malibu. I bought them from a junkyard. He then seemed to keep trying to hint that something bad would happen simply because they were Chevy wheels and not Pontiac. Look bro, I've done my homework. Same lug spacing, same backspacing, same offset, same center bore as the stock van wheels. I've been using them for six months now without issue. Just balance my wheels, please. Unless you'd like me to take my business elsewhere? He shut up after that.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Yeah, I guess all those shiny wheels in show room should be off limits too because they aren't Pontiac. ;-)

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

haha, that's pretty funny! Though he may have been trying to help, he was probably trying to sell you something instead. I have a friend who used to work in a tire shop, and he saw some horrific wheel swaps, usually RWD wheels on a FWD car with skinny tires stretched to fit. One of my old apartment neighbors had a Mercury Villager on Ford Probe wheels and tires. Not only did it look awkward with the tiny rubber, it was a Nissan badged as a Mercury with Mazda wheels badged as Ford.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Quote Originally Posted by mechanizeddeath View Post
    ... Not only did it look awkward with the tiny rubber, it was a Nissan badged as a Mercury with Mazda wheels badged as Ford.
    I'm not real sure why, but I thought that was very funny. If I were to see it in person, I never would have thought of it like that, lol.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    89 6000 LE, 87 Cutlass Ciera, 95 Thunderbird LX

what would the bolt pattern on my 89 6000 LE be? i googled it and saw 5x100.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast