Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 468694959697 LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 1441

Thread: What Did You Do to Your A-Body Today?

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    Hey skip try Napa brand I have used them before with good results
    Thanks Keith, I'll give them a try on my next purchase. Good parts suppliers are getting harder to find.

Had the same problem with my 93 Century wagon. Had new drums cut and it is much improved.

Vehicle

Yeah, I have to have the ones I purchased cut. But my next purchase will be from Napa as I haven't tried them yet. I have two brand new in box pairs of drums that need to be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by CorvairGeek View Post
    If the PS fluid is black, try draining and refilling the reservoir a few times. This will good even if you change the pump.
    Crank the steering wheel fully right to left 10 times before starting to purge air. Easier with the wheels off the ground.
    Will try that this weekend, it's starting to sound real bad now...even worse now that the weather has gotten colder.

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper54 View Post
    Will try that this weekend, it's starting to sound real bad now...even worse now that the weather has gotten colder.
    It won't be a fix then, but the rack and the new pump will be better off.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Continuing to rebuild my CV shaft this week. The FSM left me high and dry though. Love this:

"....slide spider assembly off the shaft.

Clean: Tripot balls, needle rollers, housing thoroughly in solvent. All traces of old grease and any contaminates (sic) must be removed. Dry all parts"

Did I miss something here? We just pulled the assembly off the shaft, but there's no instructions on how to disassemble the assembly. And what the hell are "contaminates?"

Sigh...

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Continuing to rebuild my CV shaft this week. The FSM left me high and dry though. Love this:

"....slide spider assembly off the shaft.

Clean: Tripot balls, needle rollers, housing thoroughly in solvent. All traces of old grease and any contaminates (sic) must be removed. Dry all parts"

Did I miss something here? We just pulled the assembly off the shaft, but there's no instructions on how to disassemble the assembly. And what the hell are "contaminates?"

Sigh...
    LOL..........I feel your pain. Sometimes it takes twice as long for me just to decipher the service manual as it does to do the job. There's diagrams and some explanation as to what is supposed to happen but no road map in between. Happens to me all the time. Kinda like high school all over again for me. LOL

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    LOL..........I feel your pain. Sometimes it takes twice as long for me just to decipher the service manual as it does to do the job. There's diagrams and some explanation as to what is supposed to happen but no road map in between. Happens to me all the time. Kinda like high school all over again for me. LOL
    When they skip steps and there's nothing on the web....that's a clue. I'm missing something. So, I scoured and scoured and found almost nothing. Almost.

Of all places, Autozone had some reference materials online that cover a number of years, and.... Just just grab'em an pull'em off! The snap ring apparently serves as a detent.

Incidentally, each "tripot ball" is supported by 37 needle bearings. Nice round number: 37. I'd love to see the calculations they used to come up with that one!

Ken T.

Vehicle

Did a L.O.F. on the '96 for its nearly 181K service.
    Jerry

Vehicle

Did a L.O.F. on the '92 for its 222K mile service. Checked the front brakes.
    Jerry

Got a replacement Keyfob. Power mirrors just stopped working, fuse ok, cannot find a switch for replacement. Bought a replacement with manual adjustment

Had a run of bad luck with My Celeb. The thermostat stuck closed and the engine saw about 250 before I could pull over and cool it down. Afterwards, the car did not run well, developed a "miss" and a random siphoning of the coolant out of the radiator associated with engine RPM. After conferring with a Machine Shop, I decided to pull the heads and have them gone through. Valve seats reground on 4 cylinders. New Fel Pro Perma-Seal gaskets and I'm back in business. Getting the air out of the coolant system was a pain in the arse. Large bubble in the heater core. Got it burped and now my heater puts out a scalding 160 degrees F at the center vent. Back to rowing those gears. :d
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6

Quote Originally Posted by Drop Top Olds View Post
    Had a run of bad luck with My Celeb. The thermostat stuck closed and the engine saw about 250 before I could pull over and cool it down. Afterwards, the car did not run well, developed a "miss" and a random siphoning of the coolant out of the radiator associated with engine RPM. After conferring with a Machine Shop, I decided to pull the heads and have them gone through. Valve seats reground on 4 cylinders. New Fel Pro Perma-Seal gaskets and I'm back in business. Getting the air out of the coolant system was a pain in the arse. Large bubble in the heater core. Got it burped and now my heater puts out a scalding 160 degrees F at the center vent. Back to rowing those gears. :d
    Yeah that is never good when the thermostat fails like this. Been cautious about this concerning my cars. Put in a new thermostat with each one so that I know it's not been overheated before or just worn out.

It can be hard to purge the air out of the 60 degree engine cooling systems. There is an air bleed screw on most of them. Also, I buy themostats with a small air bleed hole in them, or drill one if it's not there. This helps with coolant filling and with preventing air getting trapped during operations.

Glad you got it fixed, though!

David, Thanks for the tip! I will consider that on the next thermostat I get. I have fallen into the habit of watching the temp gauge much more frequently than I used to, until my trust level goes back up to "normal". My method to burp it is to park the car on my sloping driveway, nose up and let the car idle with the heat on to open the heater core. Shut it off when the temp gets high let it cool off, open the radiator cap add coolant/distilled water as needed. Once the level is stabilized after repeating the above steps, I drain the overflow tank of any excess and refill the overflow to the correct level.
    So far the temp is "normal", but still higher than I like. I attribute that to GM Engineering. This Christmas break I will finish wiring in my pusher fan on the front of the radiator. Hoping that will help also.
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6

Quote Originally Posted by Drop Top Olds View Post
    David, Thanks for the tip! I will consider that on the next thermostat I get. I have fallen into the habit of watching the temp gauge much more frequently than I used to, until my trust level goes back up to "normal". My method to burp it is to park the car on my sloping driveway, nose up and let the car idle with the heat on to open the heater core. Shut it off when the temp gets high let it cool off, open the radiator cap add coolant/distilled water as needed. Once the level is stabilized after repeating the above steps, I drain the overflow tank of any excess and refill the overflow to the correct level.
    So far the temp is "normal", but still higher than I like. I attribute that to GM Engineering. This Christmas break I will finish wiring in my pusher fan on the front of the radiator. Hoping that will help also.
    Yes the stock thermostat I believe is 195F which is pretty hot, but not really dangerous. The fan will help in low airflow situations, such as stop-and-go traffic - but it will not change the operating temperature of the engine when the thermostat is closed.

Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 468694959697 LastLast