Page 89 of 94 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1406

Thread: What Did You Do to Your A-Body Today?

Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6

Quote Originally Posted by Trashedteg View Post
    Thanks for guys for the advice.
    I installed the sensor (just guessed at the gap) still no start, checked the injectors with a nod light, light flashed.
    Checked spark the good old fashioned way with starting fluid, no start

I unplugged the icm and plugged back in it started and died, unplugged and plugged back in again and ran fine.
    I couldn't see any issues (corrosion or dirt)

Pain in the ass ghost problems...

By the way anyone know what's up with Photobucket? I haven't used a forum in a few years but we all used Photobucket...

Sorry to get off topic
    The connector from the ignition module gets its terminals "opened up" to where they don't grip the pins very well. This is a very common and hard to troubleshoot problem with these type of connectors. I had a thread with pictures but that server lost its IP address so the pictures are not available anymore.

I will try to get the pictures to you about that if you send me a PM with your e-mail.

As for Photobucket. It had been offering hotlinking to pictures "forever" as part of all levels of service from free to premium. They sent out a newsletter with one non-highlighted line in it, stating that hotlinking would no longer be offered except to their highest tier paid service. Then they cut everybody off and demanded a $400 payment to re-enable hotlinking. Needless to say there are many people upset about this. I have removed my account with them and have no intentions to go back. What they did is completely within their legal rights; however the way in which they did it is definitely not OK. Just a side-note... the same people who bought MySpace and let it die have bought Photobucket.

As for the A/C repair, the R152A is better on all fronts than R134A. It is less expensive and gives colder air, and takes less HP and fuel. The only down-side is you'll need a can tap for the smaller diameter cans, same size as the old R12 cans were.

Sincerely,
    David

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1991 S10 Blazer 4x4, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette

Finally got the van back on the road. Other than the SES light on with no codes, everything seems fine.
    Jay

Way to go Jay. I knew you would figure it out.
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    The connector from the ignition module gets its terminals "opened up" to where they don't grip the pins very well. This is a very common and hard to troubleshoot problem with these type of connectors. I had a thread with pictures but that server lost its IP address so the pictures are not available anymore.

I will try to get the pictures to you about that if you send me a PM with your e-mail.

As for Photobucket. It had been offering hotlinking to pictures "forever" as part of all levels of service from free to premium. They sent out a newsletter with one non-highlighted line in it, stating that hotlinking would no longer be offered except to their highest tier paid service. Then they cut everybody off and demanded a $400 payment to re-enable hotlinking. Needless to say there are many people upset about this. I have removed my account with them and have no intentions to go back. What they did is completely within their legal rights; however the way in which they did it is definitely not OK. Just a side-note... the same people who bought MySpace and let it die have bought Photobucket.

As for the A/C repair, the R152A is better on all fronts than R134A. It is less expensive and gives colder air, and takes less HP and fuel. The only down-side is you'll need a can tap for the smaller diameter cans, same size as the old R12 cans were.

Sincerely,
    David
    David,

I am still fuming about Photobucket. I am real glad that I converted a lot of these write ups to PDF, but it takes time to come the site. I did it because nothing lasts forever, and well, what do you know? Gone.

I am more and more of the mind to go R12A, just waiting for the Century to give me an excuse!

Ken T.

A little off topic, didn't want to start a new thread with such a simple question, do these engines run hot? Even hours after driving the engine remains hot as hell. It's not smoking but it seems hotter than any other car I've ever driven.

I would say yes, In my opinion these cars run hotter than I prefer. The engine temps on these cars can easily hit 220 F in rush hour traffic in 90+ degree weather. There are some strategies you can look at to lower the operating temperature. Installing a pusher fan in front of the radiator, some later model Cieras and Century have these. Another possibility would be to reprogram the ECU so the fan kicks on at a lower temp. The stock thermostats normally start to open at the temp listed and do not fully open until the temperature is past the "advertised" rating. Switching to a cooler thermostat may create other unintended issues, so I would be cautious about a lower temp. thermostat.

I am seeing an indicated 230 in rush hour traffic, however this drops quickly once I am at 40 mph for a few minutes.
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper54 View Post
    A little off topic, didn't want to start a new thread with such a simple question, do these engines run hot? Even hours after driving the engine remains hot as hell. It's not smoking but it seems hotter than any other car I've ever driven.
    First step ad a mechanical temp gauge,
    I personally don't think my car gets "hot" but I've never taken it on a road trip

Quote Originally Posted by Drop Top Olds View Post
    In my opinion these cars run hotter than I prefer..
    When buying an used older vehicle...its a no brainer...replace radiator and thermostat.

Last four vehicles, 3 got new radiators, and one got radiator cleaned.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post
    When buying an used older vehicle...its a no brainer...replace radiator and thermostat.

Last four vehicles, 3 got new radiators, and one got radiator cleaned.
    Agreed. Not commonly known, but most decent replacement new radiators (Spectra Premium, ReadyRad, etc.) come with cores that are significantly larger than stock. Made a huge difference in my '95 Century. Of course distilled water instead of tap will prevent them from plugging again.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Also if a gm or really any older car replace the coolant temp sensor since all the coolant is drained and inspect for oil residue from a intake gasket things to worry about in the future .

Hmmm all good points, I'm going to price out the cheapest fix though I might end up going with a pusher fan and a new radiator eventually. My priorities are all screwed up, ended up upgrading my audio today instead of doing something important like re-gluing the ceiling fabric....it's droopy

Another stupid question but what's the difference between 1,2 and 3 row core radiators and which one should I get for a 87 celeb station wagon with a 2.8? (my last project car was an 85 Jag XJ6 that I quit on after I realized the electrical nightmare wasn't worth it)

Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper54 View Post
    Another stupid question but what's the difference between 1,2 and 3 row core radiators and which one should I get for a 87 celeb station wagon with a 2.8? (my last project car was an 85 Jag XJ6 that I quit on after I realized the electrical nightmare wasn't worth it)
    1, 2 or 3 core means rows of cooling, more rows the better as long as it fits.

Thanks!

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Honestly the 96 Buick century has the best radiator with out modification . There was a fellow member who put a u-van 1992-5 pontiac transport radiator in with few mods nothing crazy just sucks cause pictures were lost from Photobucket . But the 96 has the best radiator that slips right in but have the transmission lines on the passenger side of the tank cause it's the coolest part of the radiator . Since gm realized this later in the line up that the drivers side transmission ports on the radiator was the hot side of the radiator where the thermostat goes into . U can modify it for practically less than 10 bucks go to a junk yard and find a 94-6 Buick century v6 or oldsmobile ciera v6 take the metal lines off the radiator that feed the transmission lines and will bolt right to what you have now . Send me a pm if u need any info I can use my pictures off my own car for reference if u need but via email

Page 89 of 94 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast