Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4686949596
Results 1,426 to 1,434 of 1434

Thread: What Did You Do to Your A-Body Today?

  1. #1426
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    Hey skip try Napa brand I have used them before with good results
    Thanks Keith, I'll give them a try on my next purchase. Good parts suppliers are getting harder to find.



  2. #1427

    Default

    Had the same problem with my 93 Century wagon. Had new drums cut and it is much improved.

  3. #1428
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Yeah, I have to have the ones I purchased cut. But my next purchase will be from Napa as I haven't tried them yet. I have two brand new in box pairs of drums that need to be cut.

  4. #1429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CorvairGeek View Post
    If the PS fluid is black, try draining and refilling the reservoir a few times. This will good even if you change the pump.
    Crank the steering wheel fully right to left 10 times before starting to purge air. Easier with the wheels off the ground.
    Will try that this weekend, it's starting to sound real bad now...even worse now that the weather has gotten colder.

  5. #1430
    Senior Member CorvairGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Gem State
    Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom
    Posts
    605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper54 View Post
    Will try that this weekend, it's starting to sound real bad now...even worse now that the weather has gotten colder.
    It won't be a fix then, but the rack and the new pump will be better off.
    Jerry

  6. #1431
    Senior Member Century7667's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L
    Posts
    3,865

    Default

    Continuing to rebuild my CV shaft this week. The FSM left me high and dry though. Love this:

    "....slide spider assembly off the shaft.

    Clean: Tripot balls, needle rollers, housing thoroughly in solvent. All traces of old grease and any contaminates (sic) must be removed. Dry all parts"

    Did I miss something here? We just pulled the assembly off the shaft, but there's no instructions on how to disassemble the assembly. And what the hell are "contaminates?"

    Sigh...

  7. #1432
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Continuing to rebuild my CV shaft this week. The FSM left me high and dry though. Love this:

    "....slide spider assembly off the shaft.

    Clean: Tripot balls, needle rollers, housing thoroughly in solvent. All traces of old grease and any contaminates (sic) must be removed. Dry all parts"

    Did I miss something here? We just pulled the assembly off the shaft, but there's no instructions on how to disassemble the assembly. And what the hell are "contaminates?"

    Sigh...
    LOL..........I feel your pain. Sometimes it takes twice as long for me just to decipher the service manual as it does to do the job. There's diagrams and some explanation as to what is supposed to happen but no road map in between. Happens to me all the time. Kinda like high school all over again for me. LOL

  8. #1433
    Senior Member Century7667's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L
    Posts
    3,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    LOL..........I feel your pain. Sometimes it takes twice as long for me just to decipher the service manual as it does to do the job. There's diagrams and some explanation as to what is supposed to happen but no road map in between. Happens to me all the time. Kinda like high school all over again for me. LOL
    When they skip steps and there's nothing on the web....that's a clue. I'm missing something. So, I scoured and scoured and found almost nothing. Almost.

    Of all places, Autozone had some reference materials online that cover a number of years, and.... Just just grab'em an pull'em off! The snap ring apparently serves as a detent.

    Incidentally, each "tripot ball" is supported by 37 needle bearings. Nice round number: 37. I'd love to see the calculations they used to come up with that one!

    Ken T.

  9. #1434
    Senior Member CorvairGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Gem State
    Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom
    Posts
    605

    Default

    Did a L.O.F. on the '96 for its nearly 181K service.
    Jerry

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4686949596

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •