Page 103 of 113 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1691

Thread: What Did You Do to Your A-Body Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Getting older is hell.
    Being dumb is worse: Car Hoist Fails

Here are 15 not so gentle reminders that, although it looks easy, lifting a car is still an exercise that defies gravity and requires attention!

14. Lift evenly. Both arms.

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Though probably a rare occurrence, one of the many reasons I do things myself rather than hand it over to a shop. My dad's ex wife had a Fiero that got dropped off a lift.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I'm sure the explanation was very interesting: "Uh, Mr. So&So? We, uh...um, well, we dropped your car today and we broke it." The part after that is probably the most interesting....

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

I worked at a Pontiac Dealership. We had a customers new car come in for it's first ever oil change. It fell off the hoist and got trapped in their between the beams. They ripped it out of there with two tow trucks. Totaled of course. Dealership handed over a brand new car to the customer. Don't remember what it was but it was a top of the line fully loaded Pontiac.

Edit: And it wasn't the tech's fault, just a faulty rack that didn't lock on one side when it was supposed to.
    Last edited by Skip; 08-29-2018 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlc1976 View Post
    Though probably a rare occurrence...
    Insurance companies would know..."According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, a total of 15,000 workers were treated in hospitals for automotive lift, jack or jack stand injuries."

Directory of Certified Lifts - Lifts are suppose to be re-certified with time. I recall Walmart "pitches" their lifts as they get older.

Vehicle

Oh boy, a young fella just brought me a '92 Century to look at. I don't think I can help him with this one. The driver's side door is falling off at the upper hinge. The hinge is welded to the door. Looks like it's cracked. Without taking the darned thing apart I think the door cracked behind the hinge. It's not actually falling off the car...............yet. But the door has dropped about 1/4". It's a shame too, the rest of the car is pretty darned clean.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I was really surprised by my local auto body that repaired my hinge. I thought I totaled it when I nearly ripped the door off by backing into the open door with my truck. They did weld and make a few adjustments. The door closes better now than it did with only 62,000 miles on it when I bought it.

Ken T.

Vehicle

You know Ken, I think that is what will wind up happening. This is beyond my skills. This door has to be completely removed from the vehicle and looks like some welding will have to be done. Chicago being what it is, it won't be cheap.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    You know Ken, I think that is what will wind up happening. This is beyond my skills. This door has to be completely removed from the vehicle and looks like some welding will have to be done. Chicago being what it is, it won't be cheap.
    It wasn't cheap for me either. I was faced with saying "So long old buddy!" and ditching the car. For $650 cash I got my local body shop (old company in town) to repair the door hinge and reshoot the rear deck lid (clear coat had completely failed). I walked away very pleased.

I must say the car looked better than when I bought it 10 years ago; I had also put allow rims on it to replace the naked steelies it had.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

I welded the door hinge on my Jeep when I first got it. A common problem area on those. Welded countless other things too. I just have a small Century 130 flux core welder that I paid $100 for back in 2004. Seen it done since I was a kid, but never welded before that. Flux core doesn't need the complications or expense of gas, just read up to understand what makes a good weld, and practice. I've learned to weld thin metal better than the guys at our shop can. Over the years I figure it's saved me thousands of dollars, which includes repairing things that other people said was unrepairable. A worthwhile skill to learn, especially for keeping these old cars on the road.

Today the junkyard called and said my 3.1 engine for the Cruiser is out and ready. 60k ish miles. Will be picking it up Friday morning before I get some teeth pulled. I like the 1989 3.1 engines because the intake manifold has a much more robust connection that goes around back to the heater core. In 1990 they switched to some hokey aluminum/plastic fitting that corrodes and breaks. My 1990 APV had this same fitting that failed, so I think GM did this across the board.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Vehicle

I've never done any welding either. Don't know if I could handle something like that.

Good luck on that 3.1 I hope it's a good one.

Vehicle

Very sad news. My friend couldn't get the hinge repaired at a reasonable price. So he junked the car.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Oh man !!

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Couldnt the door be replaced? Its welded on dooror on the car itself?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cody1234 View Post
    Couldnt the door be replaced? Its welded on dooror on the car itself?
    The door hinge itself is welded to the doors outer frame and that hinge is then bolted up to the body. I didn't see what all the damage was as I didn't bother to take the door panel off to take a look inside. But just from eyeballing it................the hinge was cracked and needed replacing badly. The door behind the hinge was cracked as well. The door appeared rust free from the outside. None of the usual rot along the bottom seams near the water drains. The replacement doors that he was finding were in worse condition than the door on his car so he didn't bother purchasing any of those. He doesn't know how to weld................and honestly neither do I. But I do believe I am going to do as tlc1976 has done and get myself one of those little welders and see if I can't teach myself to weld. I agree with him when he said it's a good skill to have when keeping these old cars on the road. That 25 year old metal on my car is gonna show signs of corrosion and metal fatigue soon and I know I had better learn to fix it. I don't want to wind up in the same boat as my friend and having to decide on paying the mortgage or paying the body shop bill. And you know what? A lot of these body shops around here actually refuse to work on these old cars anymore. They don't want to be bothered with them. My friend three of the four body shops he went to turn him away and the last one thru a ridiculous price at him. He got frustrated and angry and junked the car. I am seriously looking to getting myself a welder though. Who knows, maybe if I had known a little something about welding I might have been able to save that car.