Page 11 of 113 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Do to Your A-Body Today?

Vehicle
    '87 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern0115 View Post
    I'd never actually taken a car to a shop before. There's a Bell Tire near my house (I can practically see it from my back yard) and since my driving years started, my mom has taken her car there on an emergency basis. The service is so terrible there, and their prices so vague and high, I'm not likely to ever take any vehicle to any Belle Tire anywhere. Ever.

But this place was recommended to me by a friend whose '97 Cavalier is getting close to being a lost cause, and they manage to keep it on the road. She told me about one time Don, the head of the operation, as far as I could tell, drove around with her for over an hour to replicate a transmission issue she was having. The car didn't act up until the end of the drive, and they fixed it perfectly. He's also good, according to my friend, about fixing the car just exactly enough to be safe and within budget. ("I have $20. How fixed can you make it?")

Like I said. Cannot recommend them strongly enough.
    Do they do work on replacing fuel lines? I don't live in the Detroit area though (im on the west side of the state).

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera International Series

Quote Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
    Do they do work on replacing fuel lines? I don't live in the Detroit area though (im on the west side of the state).
    I'm sure they do. They're a full-service garage, whose business card claims they're specialty is Air Condition, Brakes, Suspension, Full Diagnostic, and Electrical. And a few more I, believe. So, probably, yeah.

=================

Today, I discovered through haphazard troubleshooting (turns out White really means the white wire) that my ignition control module is bad, so hopefully that means I don't need to worry about the crank sensor for now. Going to see if junkyard will honor my store credit tomorrow even though it expired yesterday.
    "Now it's over, I'm dead, and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive, and there's nothing I want to do." -TMBG

Vehicle
    RIP Iron Duke '89 Celebrity, Current: 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Wagon

Took my wagon to the shop today to get brake lines fixed. I was driving last week when my pedal decided to go strait to the floor. Was able to limp home after refilling the master cylinder. Turns out the passenger front brake line had cracked open and the driver's side had a developing crack. The shop didn't quite complete the job properly though because now there is a rhythmic wailing from one of the wheels. Hopefully it'll be fixed tomorrow.
    Past A-Bodies: 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity w/ Iron Duke, base model.
    Current A-Body: 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser 2.8L

Vehicle
    1987 Celebrity

Checked the brakes yesterday after hearing them grind. Now we need new rotors, pads, and calipers. Found that the calipers are pretty much dead, and also seem original to the car.

This is the driver side rotor and pads...

1987 Chevy Celebrity 2.8 (2003-2011) - Sold
    2007 Chevy Impala 3.9 (2011-Current)

Vehicle

Yep that rotor is pretty much shot, along with the pads.

Later today I am taking my wagon in for a new set of tires. Got a 700-mile road trip come Labor Day weekend so gonna get everything done by then.

Did a short cleanup and obtained each of the trash out from below the seats. Cans, cups, etc. Waiting for just about any string of cozy times so I can hold the doors apart and make the glass windows roll up and cutting again.
    Spam will not be tolerated on this forum in any form, signature, or in a post. You have been warned..

Vehicle
    1990 Cutlass Ciera / 78 Pontiac GP

i found original GM front shocks and changed them ... and enjoying my ciera after more than 10 months again.

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Drove my Ciera for the last time today. Well, at least for a while. Gas tank is on E and I don't have even a dime to put in it. Got a few odd jobs coming up, but hoping to find steady employment soon.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by mechanizeddeath View Post
    Drove my Ciera for the last time today. Well, at least for a while. Gas tank is on E and I don't have even a dime to put in it. Got a few odd jobs coming up, but hoping to find steady employment soon.
    Very bummer. Pretty tough in MI still, isn't it?

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Very bummer. Pretty tough in MI still, isn't it?

Ken T.
    Very. Nearly everyone I know is unemployed or underemployed. The last job I had, in a retail supercenter, one of the managers there had a degree in aerospace engineering or something like that. Instead, he was stocking shelves with the rest of us, though at least he was probably making about $12-$13 an hour instead of minimum wage like the rest of us.

If I had bus service out where I live, at this point I would try to sell the Ciera and just buy another one as soon as I started working. Right now it isn't doing me much good just sitting there on an empty tank!

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Very. Nearly everyone I know is unemployed or underemployed. The last job I had, in a retail supercenter, one of the managers there had a degree in aerospace engineering or something like that. Instead, he was stocking shelves with the rest of us, though at least he was probably making about $12-$13 an hour instead of minimum wage like the rest of us.

If I had bus service out where I live, at this point I would try to sell the Ciera and just buy another one as soon as I started working. Right now it isn't doing me much good just sitting there on an empty tank!
    I have some friends at church who are from Michigan. I've known them for over 10 years, and they've been trying to go home, but the economy up there continues to be bad. People wonder why I see red when I see a Toyota. Well, that's it right there. I think "Detroit" is still being punished for sins committed a long, long, time ago. But, the American people continue to dismiss "Detroit." It's just not fair.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

I agree. "Detroit" cleaned up its act years ago, but the public perception is still there that it hasn't, even here in Michigan. Buying an import is no longer the sin it once was, at least to most people. I'm not anti import myself, but there was a time when people thought you were a traitor for even considering it. Now they think you're a fool if you don't at least consider a Toyota or a Honda.

Back on track, I borrowed some gas I found in the garage (hope it wasn't super old or mixed with something) and went to meet my brother for lunch. He was buying of course. When I got back I reattached my Bluetooth call box, I'd had it stuck under the dash with double sided tape, but that didn't hold so I added some zip ties. I've got some money coming my way tomorrow as payment for a project I'll be working on, so I'll replace the borrowed gas and maybe even be able to fill my tank halfway for a couple trips.

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

A big part of michigans problem is that they were so tied to the automotive industry. Now there have been plants opening but no one wants to build them in Michigan because of the unions. My daily driver is a japnese car but it was built in Indiana not all that terribly far from the Michigan border.

Mechanizeddeath have you considered look for work outside of Michigan? I know its hard to move but that seems to be what most people are having to do. Its also why people can't sell homes there to anyone. Why pay full price when you have your choice of homes that people are pretty much abandoning.

Vehicle

That just proves to show that even getting a degree doesn't guarantee a high-paying job. And I can bet that he had tons of student debt to pay off as well. Sure get tired of the commercials that says you should go back to school (but no jobs to be found afterward).

I definitely wouldn't sell the Ciera though...even if you just have to run it enough to keep the seals and gaskets from drying out. Hope that you do find work very soon; its still a big thing here in the state. The seller who sold me my wagon got laid off recently from his job (one of the reasons he sold me the wagon).

Don't sell the Ciera, it loves you, or something <.<

Picked up 2 bucket seats out of a grand am, I think they're going to fit without having to drill new holes. I am going to need some nuts though to tighten down the bolts to really test it out. Since they look like they will fit and are in fairly decent shape I'm currently giving the passenger seat a real good cleaning. (I wonder if the matching rear seats would fit into my Ciera? Guess I should do some measuring.) I'd like to replace the carpet in my car at some point, so "new" to me matching front and back seats with new carpet would really make the car seem a lot nicer, I know that's blasphemy to those who like to keep their cars original

Page 11 of 113 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast