Page 110 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 1667

Thread: What Did You Do to Your A-Body Today?

  1. #1636
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northwest Lower Michigan
    Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Trying to figure out what's up with the Celeb. Noises and feelings under my feet that feel like another bad cradle mount, but I checked them and they are all good. Maybe it's the exhaust rubbing, it's fooled me that way before.

    Also got a cable and Tuner Pro functioning, so I want to start logging data. If anything to improve mileage on the Cruiser, but it's getting better already. Last 2 tanks were around 26. Been driving it more because the Celeb has felt iffy, but hopefully it's just the exhaust.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans



  2. #1637
    Senior Member CorvairGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Gem State
    Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Changed the oil, filter and air filter on the '92 Century. Now at 238K miles.
    Jerry

  3. #1638
    Senior Member Keiths1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Today my 1995 old girl got a new sport steering rack I put in . The old rack wasn?t leaking but had some play in it as well as a bad tie rod and outer end. So I figured might as well just replace all new in one unit then get her aligned sometime this week pending what they have available . Overall wasn?t bad just awkward angles . Everything came out through the drivers wheel well . Tomorrow I will fill her up and bleed the system after work and triple check all my work and re torque all the bolts . Working 12 hours a day 6 days a Week hinders and mechanical tinkering . Have a good one everyone

    Keith

  4. #1639
    Senior Member CorvairGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Gem State
    Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    Today my 1995 old girl got a new sport steering rack I put in . The old rack wasn?t leaking but had some play in it as well as a bad tie rod and outer end. So I figured might as well just replace all new in one unit then get her aligned sometime this week pending what they have available . Overall wasn?t bad just awkward angles . Everything came out through the drivers wheel well . Tomorrow I will fill her up and bleed the system after work and triple check all my work and re torque all the bolts . Working 12 hours a day 6 days a Week hinders and mechanical tinkering . Have a good one everyone

    Keith
    What was your source for the sport rack?
    Jerry

  5. #1640
    Senior Member Keiths1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    I got it in rock auto about 5 years ago on close out I believe . It was 89 bucks if I remember correctly my friend . Unfortunately u won?t find a true rack acdelco unless a junk yard sad really . The 2002-5 impala has a quick rack if it?s 9c1 cop car lol . Crazy part they so fit in our cradle since gm never changed that design . Just have to get her into the shop for alignment I?m busy tomorrow so Thursday I hope

  6. #1641
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northwest Lower Michigan
    Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Can't seem to find anything wrong with the Celeb. The cradle mounts are tight. Exhaust is not even close to rubbing. Tie rods are tight. I think the tires are just way out of balance. Maybe that or the struts are shot. Never replaced the shocks or struts on that car and I got it 200k and 16 years ago, it still takes bumps better than the Cruiser. Possibly due to the car being lighter, and smaller tires, it's an identical engine/trans/electrical setup but even with over 300k it's still quicker and faster than the Cruiser, more fun too.

    So last night I swapped CD changer magazines from the Cruiser (one reason I installed an identical changer in the Cruiser). Then took it out for a good drive. Down to the waterfront for the sunset, which I do often. Then purposely took it back to my old neighborhood and checked out the area, since I haven't been back there since there was snow on the ground. I drove the Celeb 13 of the 17 years I lived there. I wonder how many people saw me and couldn't believe it's still running. Still using the Holley Flowtech 304 stainless muffler I installed in 2004, with its nice mild but throaty gurgle, and I made sure to goose it often. It was nice to see but also nice to once again say sayonara. Then took it on one of my 3 old routes to work. Don't miss driving 54 miles every day. Also the girl I'm seeing used to also live in my old neighborhood just down the street and around the corner from my old house. Don't remember each other but we were each married at the time too.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

  7. #1642
    Senior Member CorvairGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Gem State
    Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    I got it in rock auto about 5 years ago on close out I believe . It was 89 bucks if I remember correctly my friend . Unfortunately u won?t find a true rack acdelco unless a junk yard sad really . The 2002-5 impala has a quick rack if it?s 9c1 cop car lol . Crazy part they so fit in our cradle since gm never changed that design . Just have to get her into the shop for alignment I?m busy tomorrow so Thursday I hope
    Thanks, do love the RA closeouts myself.

    Never thought about the W-bodies matching on the steering. The rack is so visually obscured on our cars. I assume you disconnect the steering column from the rack at the floor (under the boot) from the interior side? I have not even lifted the boot before myself.
    Jerry

  8. #1643
    Senior Member Keiths1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Jerry I put her on jack stands lowered the rear cradle down 3 inches the steering shaft knuckle and bolt is all done through the driver side wheel well . The steering rack bolts are not to bad but awkward angle your on . There is steel heat plate in the center of the rear cradle that brake line pass by to the passenger side needs to come off . 4 15mm bolts an 2 11mm bolts holding the lines attached then it slips out and u will see the two main bolts . The nuts are on. The transmission back side and sandwiched between the steering rack that was the hardest part . I dropped one nut and it went into null space and no clue where it is so ran to the part store to find a replacement . All the power steering lines were done from above looking past the abs module/brake booster . What hung me up was the tie rod end to the steering knuckle that I put in umpteen 14 years ago I must have been he man lol lol . Start to finish with part store and bleeding was 3.5 hours in a garage and no power tools all hand tools . . Gm never changed the steering rack on most fwd cars up till 2005 the tie rod might be longer but the actual rack is the same unless electric assist . A-body ,w-body , u vans even H body cars . Different part numbers but the same intermediate shaft remains the same by angle . The all have the rubber bushing to the ride side of the passenger side of the car and a solid mount hole for the driver side to secure it to the cradle .

    T I?m on Fb Jerry as well . I took a few pictures but I wasn?t the cleanest afterwards lol . Plus before I did the rack few weeks back I put polyurethane bushings in the rear cradle ends to made it a lot easier to loosen the two main bolts
    Thanks Keith .

  9. #1644
    Senior Member CorvairGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Gem State
    Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    Jerry I put her on jack stands lowered the rear cradle down 3 inches the steering shaft knuckle and bolt is all done through the driver side wheel well . The steering rack bolts are not to bad but awkward angle your on . There is steel heat plate in the center of the rear cradle that brake line pass by to the passenger side needs to come off . 4 15mm bolts an 2 11mm bolts holding the lines attached then it slips out and u will see the two main bolts . The nuts are on. The transmission back side and sandwiched between the steering rack that was the hardest part . I dropped one nut and it went into null space and no clue where it is so ran to the part store to find a replacement . All the power steering lines were done from above looking past the abs module/brake booster . What hung me up was the tie rod end to the steering knuckle that I put in umpteen 14 years ago I must have been he man lol lol . Start to finish with part store and bleeding was 3.5 hours in a garage and no power tools all hand tools . . Gm never changed the steering rack on most fwd cars up till 2005 the tie rod might be longer but the actual rack is the same unless electric assist . A-body ,w-body , u vans even H body cars . Different part numbers but the same intermediate shaft remains the same by angle . The all have the rubber bushing to the ride side of the passenger side of the car and a solid mount hole for the driver side to secure it to the cradle .

    T I?m on Fb Jerry as well . I took a few pictures but I wasn?t the cleanest afterwards lol . Plus before I did the rack few weeks back I put polyurethane bushings in the rear cradle ends to made it a lot easier to loosen the two main bolts
    Thanks Keith .
    I appreciate the info. Good to see the cradle mounts. I've only inspected and verified the bolts are tight on ours. I wondered if the can make noise but still look great on the outside?
    Jerry

  10. #1645
    Senior Member Keiths1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    I find If a alignment shop does then they can tend to back them out to shift the angle over slightly to counter the center of the car then semi snug them . Personally 1/2 3 ft breaker bar and a socket to give a 1/2 turn doesn?t hurt at all . If it turns freely then time to get the torque wrench out and set it and give it a couple clicks to double check . My complex has 18 speed bumps throughout it so I crawl over them but you can imagine the amount of bumps I go over in a weeks time . The tie rod on the passenger side of the stock ac delco rack is tight and original the drivers side was on its 3rd tie rod . 2 Autozone 3 Napa that lasted for 6 years . Frustrating trying to find good parr?s tho . I seen a rebuild kit for the steering rack just not sure if I would tackle it but maybe drop it off and have it rebuilt if people still do it anymore . If have a back up stock rack in case I need one .

  11. #1646
    Senior Member a1veedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Stuart,Iowa
    Vehicle
    cartruckcartruckcarcarcarcarcarcar
    Posts
    1,250

    Default

    Man oh man I have not updated anything in AGES. Been super busy with work and family stuff.....and wrenching on my A-bods. So far this year I have managed to get my long silent 86 Eurosport coupe running sweetly again. Need to fix the headlights and trunk popper now. I also took my 82 to a Back to the 80's carshow in the Twin Cities about a month ago. Dont think I've ever mentioned the 82 here.....need to restart my project threads LOL!
    So Many A's I have a 5.0 GPA!!
    • 1988 Century Limited
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport coupe
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport CL coupe (parts car)
    • 1985 Celebrity coupe
    • 1982 Celebrity CL coupe

    Non contributing members: 15 Verano, 06 Silverado, 90 Lumina, 89 S-10, 81 Citation

  12. #1647
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northwest Lower Michigan
    Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Wow nice looking ride! So nice to see you still keeping these alive and well.

    Photo brings back memories from the mid 90s. My GF back in college had an 82 Celeb coupe. But it was in rough shape.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

  13. #1648
    Senior Member Doc Salvage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Center Point Alabama
    Vehicle
    1994 Ciera, 3.1 MPI
    Posts
    198

    Default

    That is a beauty--well done sir!

  14. #1649
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northwest Lower Michigan
    Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1
    Posts
    230

    Default

    When I would lower the cradle to get the rack out, the brake line crossover is usually in rough shape and they usually need replacing after that at least in my experience.

    Accessing this site via phone for the first time in my life. Still prefer a pc. What did I do to my abody? Moved the celebrity to mow around it. Turns out I?ve been pretty much driving the cruiser all the time. For awhile I had my bike rack on the back as it was a perfect fit. Now My gal likes it too and we?ve taken trips the last 3 weekends in it.

    I?ll probably leave the celebrity as the summer and winter backup in case the Jeep craps out. And put my snow plow back on the tracker. With any luck ill not need it . Would like to do some work on it but really all I?ve done this year is work on the cruiser and enjoy my newfound freedom.

  15. #1650
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Beautiful ride veedub. Love the wheel /color combo. I determined today my horn had power so it must be shot. Might look for a place to mount several old ford truck horns underneath and relay them off the battery. Also needed to replace a high beam but neither new 9005 hella i had worked. Weird. I put the one that worked in my best vapor free glass for now. Gf hit atlanta in it today and said the 88 cutlass cruiser worked great!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
VigLink badge