Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Do to Your A-Body Today?

Those lights without bulbs aren't used on your car. Some are for other models, while others were put there for GM's "future use". Like the low fuel more than likely.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    did the following things today;
    oil change (Jiffy, $20 deal, awesome!) got rims changed over for $20, with front two balanced free! (super awesome!) got a set of 4 used "driver quality" era correct 13" trim rings, for $15 (sweet! dont have to pay like 35+ on ebay for extremely shiney new rings that stick out like a sore thumb against the old wheels and center caps lol)
    here is what Maxine looks like now
    wow those 13s look so small. but she does look good

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

is there any reason for having "water in fuel", "wait", and "choke" on an 83 ciera? I'm thinking "wait" is for the manual shifter. the water in fuel light is for diesel, and the choke is related to the 2 bbl models?
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Vehicle
    Multiple Alfa Romeos

is there any reason for having "water in fuel", "wait", and "choke" on an 83 ciera? I'm thinking "wait" is for the manual shifter. the water in fuel light is for diesel, and the choke is related to the 2 bbl models?
    "Wait" means an A-Body diesel has to have the glow plugs warm up before you can start up the diesel.
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

oh alrighty so I don't need any of these lights eh I removed the seatbelt warning light as the wires to it are damaged and unplugged; got tired of looking at the "seatbelt" light with belt buckled lol.... today I am going to a place to apply and fill out paperwork; it may not be what I like to do, but a job is a job....and I'll be trying this out for at least 2 weeks, with 2 weeks of pay, and see if I want to continue or keep looking....after paperwork and such, I shall be going junkyarding to see if i can find at least a good transducer.....or a full length cable. not sure what else I will be looking for, but pictures will be up in my junkyarding thread!
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

choke if for carb, wait and water in fuel are diesel only. due to water being added to diesel in the 70's/ 80's (a con done by some gas stations) all diesel models have a water level sensor thing in the tank, and as said wait is for the glow plugs.

as more me i got the injection line leak fixed!
    does anyone know a good head bolt sealer, i tried tefy paste (Teflon liquid), this one (all others are good as i don't have water in my oil) head bolt wont stop leaking!

either way i quit my worthless job as the new deli manger at the Safeway i worked at is rather abusive (and I've tried filling grievances with the union (worthless) before to no effect) plus the over all store manger that she reports to is very abusive as well ( Safeway has documents showing this but sense she gets the numbers they want, they just keep moving her). and lest just say beign over worded and over stressed in a place that would just as soon give corrective action for looking unhappy is not a goo fit. so long story short I'm not going to spend the money to put this car on the street tell i have a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

Daamn. no new junkyard pictures; no new arrivals worth noting today; however what is strange, is that the most recent arrivals, are stripped of their engines already. hmm. I asked the yard guys how do i tell if radios work..they tlel me put it in my car and see what happens lol. oh well. DID spot a 80 Citation 4 door with the X 2.8L carbed engine lol. apparently there's a section for 70s-80s GM cars that I didnt see before, but the citation;s engine showed a crack right on the block (no wonder its there lol) visible beneath the exhaust manifold

Today I had mine towed away
    2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Indy

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0V8

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

Today, I washed and detailed the car outside and inside, next is to find a good detail shop or bodyshop or a combo and ask about the finish; ask if i can bring shine back or if parts of it is too far gone to not go into primer (trunk lid looks more gray than the rest...)

Vehicle
    88 Century limited 3.8

Today I scrubbed her down to get ready for my new hood I am going to get tomorrow. (thanks for the junkyard update CamoDeafie) Then on the way home from work it left me stranded for the first time in 5 years. Fuel pump died on the highway. had it towed back to my shop and just got done replacing the pump.
    Last edited by etriebe; 04-10-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock View Post
    choke if for carb, wait and water in fuel are diesel only. due to water being added to diesel in the 70's/ 80's (a con done by some gas stations) all diesel models have a water level sensor thing in the tank, and as said wait is for the glow plugs.

as more me i got the injection line leak fixed!
    does anyone know a good head bolt sealer, i tried tefy paste (Teflon liquid), this one (all others are good as i don't have water in my oil) head bolt wont stop leaking!

either way i quit my worthless job as the new deli manger at the Safeway i worked at is rather abusive (and I've tried filling grievances with the union (worthless) before to no effect) plus the over all store manger that she reports to is very abusive as well ( Safeway has documents showing this but sense she gets the numbers they want, they just keep moving her). and lest just say beign over worded and over stressed in a place that would just as soon give corrective action for looking unhappy is not a goo fit. so long story short I'm not going to spend the money to put this car on the street tell i have a new job.
    I feel ya man... 8 years working in a minilab doing photo processing. My job eroded from a highly technical and borderline artistic occupation to being a mindless drone that pushed a YES button to start the digital machine jobs. During that time my sanity was in danger as I worked for a woman who was perhaps psychotic and certainly bipolar. I ended up losing my job when the company created a new system of late punch policies intended to make it extremely easy to fire people who had been there too long.

Back on topic, I was going to fix the windows in my car today, and may still attempt to fix the front one, but just found out I have other responsibilities to take care of.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Quote Originally Posted by etriebe View Post
    Today I scrubbed her down to get ready for my new hood I am going to get tomorrow. (thanks for the junkyard update CamoDeafie) Then on the way home from work it left me stranded for the first time in 5 years. Fuel pump died on the highway. had it towed back to my shop and just got done replacing the pump.
    Not a bad run, stuff happens.... IMO those rims look really good on that Century, everything just fits.

Vehicle
    88 Century limited 3.8

yep those wheels worked out great found them on an abandoned lesabre and traded my 14" steelies for them.
    Had a good junkyard day. Got my hood with paint, speaker/defroster grilles, spare MAF, right front marker lamp (mine looked like a fish bowl), A black oil fill cap to match my engine paint, and a power antenna assemblie. washed it yesterday now I need to do it again to wash the hood

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera International Series

Today I plan to change the spark plugs and wires to see if that helps with the running issues of late. The weather has finally broken, and I plan to take advantage of that between rain showers!
    "Now it's over, I'm dead, and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive, and there's nothing I want to do." -TMBG

Vehicle
    1990 Cutlass Ciera / 78 Pontiac GP

the head gaskets is blown ...

i bought a set of complete gaskets of engine for 100$ here and trying to replace it.

it 's my first time and ... any advise .. let me know

all parts engine block... heads ... intake ...radiator and anything is cleaned well such as new one

oil pan is open and all engine oils went out ...

Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast