Page 62 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Do to Your A-Body Today?

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Repaired rubber hose for the vapor line to the gas tank on my '95 Century. The vapor purge line is steel from the gas tank, the a short piece of rubber, then nylon to the carbon canister....

So, this is the reason why I smelled gas when I parked in the parking garage at work, and in my garage at home (with water heater!). 19 years and well, it's just deteriorated.

A single edge razor blade removed the rotting rubber.

Some 5/16" fuel hose will do the trick, if you are careful. They nylon was still flexible; I just have it some room. I still need to find another clamp for the other end, but it's snug for now. They nylon side required the clamp to cinch things up. I had to make the repair on my '96 a couple of years ago. I'm curious how the earlier a-body cars handled the vapor line.

Ken T.
    Last edited by Century7667; 07-07-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Vehicle
    1994 Ciera S (deceased) 1992 Ciera SL

Not today, but over the weekend, pulled the twisted front bumper and shattered headlights off, put on a set of headlights from a '94 at Pick-Your-Part (half price weekend for the Fourth) and put a pair of whitewalls on the rear so that I could have a (somewhat) matched set again. Found a bent and kinked Panhard bar in the rear, RockAuto has a Moog listed for under 40 bucks shipped, so next paycheck...

Vehicle
    1990 Buick Century Custom 3.3 "T-Type" sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Repaired rubber hose for the vapor line to the gas tank on my '95 Century. The vapor purge line is steel from the gas tank, the a short piece of rubber, then nylon to the carbon canister....

So, this is the reason why I smelled gas when I parked in the parking garage at work, and in my garage at home (with water heater!). 19 years and well, it's just deteriorated.

Some 5/16" fuel hose will do the trick, if you are careful. They nylon was still flexible; I just have it some room. I still need to find another clamp for the other end, but it's snug for now. They nylon side required the clamp to cinch things up. I had to make the repair on my '96 a couple of years ago. I'm curious how the earlier a-body cars handled the vapor line.

Ken T.
    I found the same issue right before our vacation... I didn't know quite what to do so I wrapped it with Rescue Tape until it was "together" again... Looks like I need to address it right lol
    Roads.... Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post

Ken T.
    I had to do the same thing. Its one of those parts that no longer exists and also that I think its kind of amazing they have lasted as long as they have. Since it is just for the vent I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't even know its broke or went bad.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by lemons bob View Post
    I had to do the same thing. Its one of those parts that no longer exists and also that I think its kind of amazing they have lasted as long as they have. Since it is just for the vent I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't even know its broke or went bad.
    You can sure tell wen it's in the garage. Pe-ew! Gasoline is strong!

Ken T.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by thesam1984 View Post
    I found the same issue right before our vacation... I didn't know quite what to do so I wrapped it with Rescue Tape until it was "together" again... Looks like I need to address it right lol
    Happend on both of my a-body cars. I wonder if the '82-88 uses the same setup?

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1990 Chevy Celebrity Wagon 3.1 MPFI

Did the exact same repair on my '90 Celebrity right after I bought it. I used some fuel hose and a couple hose clamps, haven't smelled gas since.

Vehicle
    1994 Buick Roadmaster 5.7, 1993 Century wagon 3.3, 1987 Cadillac Brougham 5.0, 2009 Chevy Cobalt

happened to my 90 celeb
    What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Vehicle

Seems to run in the a-body family.

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

yeah its kind of like a foam thing. It dry's out and crumbles. I'm guessing its one of those things that also didn't need replacement for about 20 years so they just didn't make any replacements. I'm also guessing that GM never thought these cars would still be used as daily drivers 20+ years after they were build.

Yesterday, did a tape measure alignment, got it pretty much exactly 0, or as close as you can with just a tape measure.

Also ended up having to replace a lug nut stud after breaking one. Worst part was it was brand new on the hub I just replaced.

Finally added hood pins because racecar, and more importantly the hood release cable broke and this seemed the easier fix.

Vehicle
    1988 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport Sedan

Fixed my door striker:

Vehicles:
    2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS (Daily).
    1988 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport Sedan (Project).

Vehicle
    91 Olds Cutlass Ciera SL

I put New Standard T Coil Packs and Standard 8mm Spark Plug Wires, and Iridium Spark Plugs in my Ciera. I tell you hwhat it made the things run a Whole lot better. Car starts with one crank of the key, run like a dream. I think it still has a miss somewhere, trying to figure that out ATM.
    1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL " Project Build"
    1994 Dodge Stealth SOHC- Toy Car/SPL Car
    1997 Mazda B2300- Daily/SPL Car
    2001 Chevy Cavalier- Family Car

Vehicle
    1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3

New set of white walls put on today.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Looks awesome Ciera91

Vehicle
    1985 Chevrolet Celebrity Sedan (2.8 2-bbl. V6, THM-125, JA2)

Looks great Ciera 91, you've got a great looking car; very clean!

Page 62 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast