Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW RP oil change in the firebird today

Default WOW RP oil change in the firebird today

HOLY SHITTTTTTT what a different car it is with some Royal Purple 5W30!! I have driven it for the last 2 nice days before changing the oil today and after taking it out was a totally different beast. I can break the back tires MUCH MUCH easier and longer now. Even spun em from a 5-9mph roll!!! Never been able to do that. Would normally just maybe squeek them. Second gear spins a tad now too not just a squeek. AUTO trans on top of it.
    1989 Formula 350, 2002 Bonneville SE
    DON
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

Royal Purple is very good. But its also very expensive.
    -Brendan

1991 Buick Century wagon LG7/4T60- daily driver, UV front sway bar. On its 3rd life. Refurbishing, work in slow progress. Will get some mods down the road.
    1985 Ford F250 Explorer 460/4bbl- hibernating in a barn since 2005, hopefully will be waking her up soon.

Vehicle
    1987 Pontiac 6000

How much better is RP over Mobil 1? Is it worth all the extra money for it?
    1987 Pontiac 6000 Iron Duke 151

Vehicle
    Multiple Alfa Romeos

Quote Originally Posted by zets6000 View Post
    How much better is RP over Mobil 1? Is it worth all the extra money for it?
    If you send a request to Royal Purple asking what types of minerals they use in their oil, they politely refuse to say. Their reasoning is that people buy a good product on the basis that it is a good product, and also to discourage people making 'copycat' oil formulas.
    This article opened my eyes on rear end oil: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

If the results of the tests are any indication of each brand's quality, I apply those results to engine oil in similar fashion. Crappy rear end oil? Engine oil probably isn't so great either.
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Well as far as expense its not a factor to me NOT CAUSE I AM RICH but because the car gets only one oil change a year. Let me put the RP/Mobile 1 question to rest... LAST year I had Mobile 1 oil in it and the difference I felt today is the diff between RP and Mobil 1!!! I put the good mobile 1 in it not the cheapie the full synthetic. I have also run the good Valvoline Syn power for about the 2 or 3 previous to M1. I think the RP is FAR superior to M1 or my old fav Valvoline.

Next up for the Formula is RP gear oil and then hopefully later this summer some RP trans fluid also. I am very excited to drive the car again.

As I change the oil one once per year in my 48" commercial walk behind mower also I will be using RP in that as well.
    DON
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

I'm not really sure I would trust mobile 1. I know subarus burn through it for some reason, and on friday I was talking with some other car guys and they seemed to have troubles when using it too.

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

I like RP, how ever... I will not use any oil that doesnt not have a detergant in it. RP doesnt.

I pretty much use Kendal Oils, and Valvoline..
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

Vehicle
    1987 Pontiac 6000

Well sounds like some good testimony, I'll definitely consider the purple stuff on my next oil change which is coming up soon. I've always ran Mobil 1, so I'll take your word for it.
    1987 Pontiac 6000 Iron Duke 151

Drove it again this am to work. Second gear is still CRAZY!! So is launch. When it shifts to second now the car jerks sideways!!! ITS A HOOT. It used to squeak second pretty regularly but now it breaks both rear tires for a second. Forget about turning the tires at launch, its CAKE now. Im not gonna say it ADDED HP but it sure did free some of them up to make it to the back wheels. Ive owned this car since 2004 and it has about 128k miles on it bought it at 114k and have driven it hard PLENTY in the past.
    DON

Valvoline all day for me. See the sig.
    -Brendan

1991 Buick Century wagon LG7/4T60- daily driver, UV front sway bar. On its 3rd life. Refurbishing, work in slow progress. Will get some mods down the road.
    1985 Ford F250 Explorer 460/4bbl- hibernating in a barn since 2005, hopefully will be waking her up soon.

Got some RP 10W30 for the Pizza car tonight. Gonna change it tomorrow. I will update everyone and MPG will be obvious with this car as I track it very strictly.
    DON

Didnt notice such an improvement in the Colt. Does seem to idle smoother that could just be me. MPG review will take about a week so I can run a couple fill ups through it. I am at about 25-27 ish delivering prior to RP oil.
    DON

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I've been using Mobil 1 since '96. Two cars since they were new; both have 130k+, and use no oil at all. Easy starts in the cold.

Ken t.

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

As I stated befor. I like Royal Purple. I wont use it, because the oil does not contain any detergants that a petroleom based burning engine requires.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

Dont know what your talking about but the bottle of 5W30 I have is certified with the API SL category and here is the description from http://www.api.org/certifications/en...ries/index.cfm "SL CURRENT For 2004 and older automotive engines."

SO it looks to be that API says it is the current oil grade to use in 2004 and older vehicles. Dont know why they would say its ok if these engines "REQUIRE" detergents and RP didnt have them in there?

Care to explain?
    DON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast