Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tire Upgrade on Stock 14" Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Equalyzer View Post
    I've been asking around about the best tires for my Ciera. I didn't want to spend a fortune on fancy wheels, since I'm more concerned about performance than appearances. I almost went for some plain 16" steelies, but was told that the narrow sidewall tires would only last about 20,000 miles, and would reduce gas mileage... I put at least 25,000 miles on a car every year, so that's definitely out.

Several tire shops said the same thing: high-end tires on the existing 14" alloy wheels would be the most economic performance upgrade. It currently has the wider 195/70/R14 instead of the 75 width, but they're bargain basement ones; speeds over 70 MPH wobble the dashboard loose (despite the T speed rating). I was told the existing "City Stars" are rated at 40,000 miles, and that the 70,000 mile Toyo ones would handle better, even though they have an S speed rating. They even said it would bring back the Oldsmobile ride quality.

The question is: are they worth it? I was told the tires on it really don't need to be replaced, just repaired. $460 for new Toyos instead of the existing $330 ones that need nail-puncture repairs (ironically, the shop had the exact same tires that are on it now)... $130 extra definitely sounds worth it, but is it worth replacing the tires early? I do a lot of mountain driving, which uses every last bit of a car's handling performance. But will they really make that much difference?
    I noticed you mentioned Toyo tires. were you using the proxes? Wondering how did it work for you? No premature wearing or whatever issues?

Had a pair of Toyo Ultra 800 in 185 75 14, T rated and white walls, up front on my '88 Ciera FE2 2.5L.
    Bought 'em November 2005. Best tires ever had on the car, leaps and bounds above the S-rated priors.
    Really enjoyed every turn and curve. Don't look like Ultra 800s are still available.

If you step up to 195 70s I see several 14" tires in T rating and even a Kumho in H on Tirerack etc.
    I see Tiger Paws in T as well but those were the OE tires and I didn't think they tracked very straight.
    If you want to go private label:
    Of course none of these are white wall if anyone is looking to maintain the wire wheel sleeper look.

Best of luck !

Sugar Land, TX
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I've have fond memories of the Uniroyal Tiger Paws. Good tire. They came stock on my S10, and I just kept reloading them until they were no longer available for it.

Ken T.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234