Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tire Upgrade on Stock 14" Wheels

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

It's true, the selection isn't what it used to be. I've still been able to get what I need. Mayhap one day I might look for some 15" wheels, but so long as I can still get the 14" tire, I'll stick with it.

Maybe they put 14"s on the Prius. ;-)

Ken T.

Vehicle
    '93 Cutlass Ciera

Smile

Okay, I just got new rear shocks and had that nail pulled out of the front tire. What a difference! It seems those two things were the main cause of wobbling. Also road noise has been reduced.

I also gave it new front brakes. Just thought I'd let everyone know not to replace pads without machining or replacing the rotors! The pads were ruined at 8,000 miles because I did that (also the rotors were warped due to them having been turned too many times). I actually found a shop that charges less for new rotors than my last shop charged to machine them! I'll probably just replace them next time to avoid warpage.

Fortunately those old "City Star" plain tires are still good and the handling is more like it should be now, so I plan on running these for a while. But when I do get new tires, I'll probably go with those 215/60/14 ones. I would get the 215/70s, but I've pretty much figured out the speeding ticket methodology of the local fuzz (don't ask ). Since I drive at what I call the "ticket threshold" speed, I really need an accurate speedo.

Then again, it might not be accurate at all, considering how the odometer doesn't work....
    1993 "Gunmetal Gray" Cutlass Ciera, aka "Melanie"
    Pioneer stereo, HIR headlight bulbs, pale red tinted reverse lenses (Mercedes style )

Vehicle
    Multiple Alfa Romeos

Quote Originally Posted by Equalyzer View Post
    Okay, I just got new rear shocks and had that nail pulled out of the front tire. What a difference! It seems those two things were the main cause of wobbling. Also road noise has been reduced.

I also gave it new front brakes. Just thought I'd let everyone know not to replace pads without machining or replacing the rotors! The pads were ruined at 8,000 miles because I did that (also the rotors were warped due to them having been turned too many times). I actually found a shop that charges less for new rotors than my last shop charged to machine them! I'll probably just replace them next time to avoid warpage.

Fortunately those old "City Star" plain tires are still good and the handling is more like it should be now, so I plan on running these for a while. But when I do get new tires, I'll probably go with those 215/60/14 ones. I would get the 215/70s, but I've pretty much figured out the speeding ticket methodology of the local fuzz (don't ask ). Since I drive at what I call the "ticket threshold" speed, I really need an accurate speedo.

Then again, it might not be accurate at all, considering how the odometer doesn't work....
    Your speedometer will function even if the odometer doesn't. The transmission has a sensor that runs off a gear which sends a signal to the speedo for actual speed. Your odometer runs of a few series of gears.
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Vehicle
    cartruckcartruckcarcarcarcarcarcar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaloryan View Post
    Get yourself some 215/60R14 size tires. My body roll went down considerably with the wider tires. I can pull 22MPG driving mostly city & my speedometer is still accurate. As far as I know, this is the largest tire size you can run without any rubbing issues either.

RWL 215-60/14's are the bees knees! The Super Stock steelies look good too. I am needing new tires for the 86 Euro soon, I think I might go with the same exact tires that you have.
    So Many A's I have a 5.0 GPA!!
    • 1988 Century Limited
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport coupe
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport CL coupe (parts car)
    • 1985 Celebrity sedan
    • 1982 Celebrity CL coupe

Non contributing members: 15 Verano, 06 Silverado, 90 Lumina, 89 S-10, 88 Golf Cabriolet

Vehicle
    Multiple Alfa Romeos

Quote Originally Posted by a1veedubber View Post
    RWL 215-60/14's are the bees knees! The Super Stock steelies look good too. I am needing new tires for the 86 Euro soon, I think I might go with the same exact tires that you have.
    They handle quite wonderfully, they're the best tires I've had hands down. They are okay on hydroplaning resistance, I've never "accidentally" lost traction, if you catch my drift. (no pun intended)

I purchased mine from tirerack.com
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Vehicle
    1989 Buick Century Custom Coupe, Grand Prix GTP 1998

My Coupe came stock with 215/60R14 no rubbing.

I now have 225/45R16 on 1998 Grand Prix High polish wheels no rub for now but i'm so close onf the body that i'm putting 1/2" spacers for safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanizeddeath
    I mean there's a lot more than can go horribly wrong with car than when your iPod dock stops working due to a solder job so bad that my dog could do better.
    " Since little or nothing is known about the principles involved in magneto reluctance, diagnosing faults can be a problem ... "  & " treat all other problems as if they do not exsist . "

Vehicle
    RIP Iron Duke '89 Celebrity, Current: 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Buick_powa View Post
    My Coupe came stock with 215/60R14 no rubbing.

I now have 225/45R16 on 1998 Grand Prix High polish wheels no rub for now but i'm so close onf the body that i'm putting 1/2" spacers for safety.
    Do you have a pictures of your wheels on your car that you could post on here?
    Past A-Bodies: 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity w/ Iron Duke, base model.
    Current A-Body: 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser 2.8L

My current home is S. Korea, but Tacoma, WA is where I am from.
    Vehicle
    2 85 STE. One I drive, the other is under a slowww restoration.

To Equalyzer:

Look into Tire Rack, and you will find that BF Goodrich has a 215/60R14 for our cars. They are 96.00 each, so by buying all 4, you will get a $50.00 rebate back.

Vehicle

That's why the 1/2" spacers are required

This is the look with the 215/60r14 with the turbine wheels
    I mean there's a lot more than can go horribly wrong with car than when your iPod dock stops working due to a solder job so bad that my dog could do better.
    " Since little or nothing is known about the principles involved in magneto reluctance, diagnosing faults can be a problem ... "  & " treat all other problems as if they do not exsist . "

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

maybe just me; but Buick-Powa; I think the TAs on turbines look 10000000X better on that nice black buick than the Grand Prix wheels... i mean; it looks like the tires are a little too small for the wheel wells with the GP wheels? I'm aware they may have been closest to stock......but the meatier lookign TA tires on the Turbines just...loooks awesome to me...whats missing are the GN or GS badges and blacked out vertical slats on the grille :P
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Vehicle
    Multiple Alfa Romeos

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    maybe just me; but Buick-Powa; I think the TAs on turbines look 10000000X better on that nice black buick than the Grand Prix wheels... i mean; it looks like the tires are a little too small for the wheel wells with the GP wheels? I'm aware they may have been closest to stock......but the meatier lookign TA tires on the Turbines just...loooks awesome to me...whats missing are the GN or GS badges and blacked out vertical slats on the grille :P
    x2

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    Sure the 14's look like they have more rubber because they actually do... The 16's have the equivalent tire size for the 14's but there's just one down point about the 14's... And it's tire availability of the tires. Only BF make them, they get rarer and rarer and they never get near in traction as the one i have on the GP wheels.

I might think about having 2 wheels setup someday but for now i'll stick with the 16's. Also i might have found a way to source lowering springs.

Vehicle
    '87 Buick Century T-Type

I ran 225/60/14 on the turbines on my T Type no problems. Blackwalls out of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher Gerbracht View Post
    To Equalyzer:

Look into Tire Rack, and you will find that BF Goodrich all terrain has a 215/60R14 for our cars. They are 96.00 each, so by buying all 4, you will get a $50.00 rebate back.
    Im interested in the 215/60r14 size and it has a diameter of 24.2" tall but how much of tread is with those im assuming 7-8" worth but I am just currious about it.

Vehicle
    '87 Buick Century T-Type

Since this has been updated may as well post a pic from 2006 I found since I got my computer up...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast