Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Delco Radio Repair - Right-Channel out / static / thumping noise....

Vehicle
    1990 Cutlass Ciera SL (Sold)

So if we were to use the new parts you just posted, they would not lay flat like in the pictures? This is for all three of them?

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    So if we were to use the new parts you just posted, they would not lay flat like in the pictures? This is for all three of them?
    Yes that is correct. They are small enough to stand upright (like the originals) without hitting the plate that mounts on top. All three of them same item. I didn't bring my camera today or would have showed picture!
    David

Vehicle

Have to make a trip to RS I guess. How much do those little gems go for?

They were less than $2 a piece.

Vehicle

Sweet!

I did this fix a while ago and it got my right rear channel working again but right front is still out, left front sounds kind of weak too. Speakers check out ok. Any ideas?

I did already replace one of the longitudinal caps near the edge of the board as it was looking a bit suspect.
    91 Olds Ciera S - 91 Caprice - 92 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    I did this fix a while ago and it got my right rear channel working again but right front is still out, left front sounds kind of weak too. Speakers check out ok. Any ideas?

I did already replace one of the longitudinal caps near the edge of the board as it was looking a bit suspect.
    Experience and study have taught me some things about electronics. Seems 99% of the time an electronic device starts to fail gradually or without a definate cause (ie no shorts bad wiring etc) - it is electrolytic capacitors failing. Probably, there is some other cap on the board that is failing causing your problem.

Connect your radio to power and speakers with the covers off the amp board, and set the balance and fade to midpoint. Troubleshoot this by heating each cap, carefully, with a soldering iron tip. Listen for any change in the audio. It may get bett or or it may get worse - but look for any change when a particular capacitor is heated. Mark it with a pen and keep going until all defective capacitors are marked.

It seems that capacitors come in batches and some batches are just plain bad. At this point, if you have already made one repair, it may be that your board has a bad batch of them and it could need all the caps replaced.

Another possibility is the original capacitors leaked fluid onto the board and corroded it, causing damage.

Hope this helps!
    Sincerely,
    David

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century Special, 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais

Reading this thread reminded me; I've still got my Century's old radio sitting in the garage.

Does anybody want it? It's the factory AM/FM/Cassette unit.

If I remember correctly, it too suffers from the same problems discussed in this thread.

I don't think I'm ever going to be using it again (I need my MP3s, subwoofer out, aux in and SD card reader!), so whomever wants it is welcome to it.

All I'd ask is for the recipient to pay for the shipping, and I'd pop it in the mail.
    1993 Century 'RalliSport' Special

3.3L 3300 LG7 V6 - TH-125C 3 Speed Auto
    Custom Painted Wheels W/ BFG T/A KO's
    3" Lift - U-Van Coils - Monroe GasMatics
    Air Intake Relocation - Silverstar Ultra #9005 for High & Low beam
    KC HiLites 100W Fogs - Custom 600W Quartz-Halogen Rally-x Light Rack
    1000CCA OPTIMA Red Top - GPS / CB / 800W Inverter / Custom 12v Console
    Jensen Head Unit - 2x 12" MTX Jackhammers - 2x 600W 'Dual' Amplifiers

Thanks for the tip David, I'll try that sometime. May need to get a smaller solder iron too, think mine's too large as I keep burning the white masking off the board. Yours looks much cleaner.

Pics of the other suspect cap I replaced. Not sure if that's corrosion or electrolyte. The brown goo is actually on the top side of the cap.

Last edited by Carlton; 12-19-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    91 Olds Ciera S - 91 Caprice - 92 Vette

Vehicle
    1993 Chevorlet Caprice LS 305 V8

Thanks I am going to try this wanted to keep the stereo OEM in my one car
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham 2.8
    1993 Chevrolet Carprice Classic LS 5.0L 350
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3L 4 speed Auto with Console Shifter (The Grey Grisley) RIP
    1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass SL 3.1L 4 Speed (Gave away I am sure it wishes it could die)
    1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate
    1995 Buick Century Wagon Rest In Pieces
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3L 4 speed Automatic (The Silver Bullet) Rust in Pieces

My current home is S. Korea, but Tacoma, WA is where I am from.
    Vehicle
    2 85 STE. One I drive, the other is under a slowww restoration.

Excellent example and pictures for the stereo repair. Bravo!

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Quote Originally Posted by mickstan_VR View Post
    ... Not to change the subject, but.... this needs to be "sticky". Can we do that here?
    Hey Jeff. Long time no type... Ask, and you shall recieve!

Turbo, I merged the 3 posts together that had important info about this particular repair.
    Last edited by Pontiac6ksteawd; 04-04-2012 at 07:53 AM.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

Vehicle
    1987 Olds Cutlass Ciera 2.8MPFI

I attempted this repair without success, i'm a novice at auto and electronics repair. I think i bought the right capacitors, 1.0uf 35v tantalum capacitors. I soldered them to the board and reassembled the radio. It worked fine for about 15 minutes then the right side cut out completely and the amp was very hot. I tried it the next day and it worked but the amp was starting to get hot again, so i turned it off. I did notice when the radio was back together one of the capacitors was touching the plate that goes above it, not sure if that is an issue. Forgive my ignorance, but can capacitors be installed backwards? and i don't think any of the soldered areas where touching each other. Any ideas? thanks

'87 Cutlass Ciera Brougham, 2.8MPFI, FE1 suspension

Vehicle
    74 Nova, 77 Nova, 88 Cutlass Ciera

Quote Originally Posted by Mur View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but can capacitors be installed backwards?
    Tantalum capacitors (as well as the original aluminum electrolytic capacitors) are polarity sensitive. If you look closely at the tantalum capacitors there should be a little "+" printed near the positive lead. Aluminum electrolytic caps (like the originals) are typically marked on the negative lead. So the silk screening on the circuit board is likely marked out to indicate the placement of the negative lead as well.

They won't tolerate very much reverse voltage so connecting them backwards usually results in the capacitor's dielectric layer breaking down and creating an internal short circuit. It's an instantaneous type of failure ... not something that slowly happens over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mur View Post
    I did notice when the radio was back together one of the capacitors was touching the plate that goes above it, not sure if that is an issue.
    The outside of these capacitors is usually coated with epoxy so that shouldn't be an issue as far as creating an electrical short circuit. However, that plate above these capacitors is the amplifier heat sink so if the capacitor was sticking up far enough to keep that from fitting properly into place, that could definitely be a problem. And heat transfer from the heatsink to the capacitor might be an issue too. Finally, as David said:
    Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic
    The amplifier power stages will quickly overheat without the heatsink. Make sure the white heat transfer paste is still in place on them before the heatsink goes back on, too!

Vehicle
    1987 Olds Cutlass Ciera 2.8MPFI

Thanks! Seems like I have alot to learn on this subject

'87 Cutlass Ciera Brougham, 2.8MPFI, FE1 suspension

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast