Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY GM Delco AUX input

NE of The 8th Most Dangerous City in America
    Vehicle
    87/88 Eurosport VR

And yes, the tape deck will still work. This does not interfere with the tape deck in any way.
    Check out my VR at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/805391 and at the definitive source of Eurosport VR information http://www.eurosportvr.com

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Quote Originally Posted by mickstan_VR View Post
    Try Lowes for the wire. It doesn't HAVE to be security wire, but the internal shielding will prevent any interference. You can use 18 or 22awg standed wire and wrap the ground wire around the other 4 wires. If you go with 5 individual wires, just make sure you connect them to the correct locations.
    I'll do that, thank you sir.
    Jay

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Got the wire and got my Blazer radio done, now the Silhouette and it's a bit different. Matt, I know I keep picking you brain because you've done this before...And I appreciate the hell out of it.

WHat do I tap into here??

THANKS!!!
    Jay

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

What would be real cool would be to figure out how to intercept the pre-amp signal and pipe it to a pair of RCA jacks. That way you can put a REAL AMP behind the Delco ETR and be able to use 4 ohm speakers w/o fear of overheating the amp.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    87/88 Eurosport VR

I would guess that the 2 wires you need are in that bundle of red wires. You could power up the radio and hook some speakers up to it and start cutting wires till you lose the left and right channels. Then you would have your 2 wires. Risky business!
    Check out my VR at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/805391 and at the definitive source of Eurosport VR information http://www.eurosportvr.com

Vehicle
    87/88 Eurosport VR

Jay, did you have success with your blazer radio? If you did, then did you have any problems with my instructions? Were they easy to follow? Is there something I should add?

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

I would guess that the 2 wires you need are in that bundle of red wires. You could power up the radio and hook some speakers up to it and start cutting wires till you lose the left and right channels. Then you would have your 2 wires. Risky business!
    With that radio, it looks like it has a connector at the bundle end. In that case he could pop them loose with a tool, instead of cutting them.

I never actually thought about it, but RCAs from the preamp would be a great option for someone who wants to get the most out of their car stereo without resorting to an aftermarket head unit. I'd actually be surprised if someone hasn't already done this with a stock Delco deck.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle

Jay, did you have success with your blazer radio? If you did, then did you have any problems with my instructions? Were they easy to follow? Is there something I should add?
    Works 100%. I was out in the garage earlier rockin out with my laptop hooked up to it.

Your instructions couldn't have been better. A friend of mine is going to do it to his 1989 Suburban now using them.

I haven't tore into the Silhouette radio yet. I plan to this weekend though if I don't work.
    Last edited by SexySilhouette; 08-18-2011 at 04:03 AM.
    Jay

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I need to get me a couple of test mules to experiment on... muhahaha!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    87/88 Eurosport VR

Jay, good to hear! Literally! Glad you got t to work. Hope your friend enjoys the same results.
    Ken, I did just that when working on this issue. Some radios, a battery, a charger, some speakers and a plug for the radios from a junkyard. Set'em up on a workbench and tear them up!
    RCA's would be sweet too. I'm not sure how that set up would work, but it would be cool to figure it out.

Vehicle

I went out and bought myself a cheap-o MP3 player at Big Lots tonight...I stepped up to the big times. hahahahahahah

Only thing I can suggest is to have the stereo set to a frequency that doesn't come in. I was getting a faint overdub of the local station the radio was on, but I put it on like 89.1 and no problem what so ever.

Maybe add something like "It is recommended to switch to an unused frequency on your radio for optimal performance."
    Last edited by SexySilhouette; 08-19-2011 at 03:04 AM.
    Jay

Vehicle
    cartruckcartruckcarcarcarcarcarcar

I am going to be getting the materials for this in a couple of days, where would be the best place to find the wire....all I seem able to find is 500ft rolls of it!
    So Many A's I have a 5.0 GPA!!
    • 1988 Century Limited
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport coupe
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport CL coupe (parts car)
    • 1985 Celebrity sedan
    • 1982 Celebrity CL coupe

Non contributing members: 15 Verano, 06 Silverado, 90 Lumina, 89 S-10, 88 Golf Cabriolet

Vehicle

I finally found someone at Home Depot that knew what I wanted. Just go to the big rolls of wiring and get an employee, tell them what you want and how many feet.
    Jay

Vehicle
    cartruckcartruckcarcarcarcarcarcar

Sweet. Did they have the plug there too or was that at Radio Shack.

(I lament that most Radio Shack employees today do not even know what a radio shack is)
    So Many A's I have a 5.0 GPA!!
    • 1988 Century Limited
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport coupe
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport CL coupe (parts car)
    • 1985 Celebrity sedan
    • 1982 Celebrity CL coupe

Non contributing members: 15 Verano, 06 Silverado, 90 Lumina, 89 S-10, 88 Golf Cabriolet

Vehicle

Jay, good to hear! Literally! Glad you got t to work. Hope your friend enjoys the same results.
    Ken, I did just that when working on this issue. Some radios, a battery, a charger, some speakers and a plug for the radios from a junkyard. Set'em up on a workbench and tear them up!
    RCA's would be sweet too. I'm not sure how that set up would work, but it would be cool to figure it out.
    Yeah, I was really surprised at how modular those radios are. I've found a spare radio, and will work on my pre-amp project. It should be fun!

Ken T.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast