Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY GM Delco AUX input

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Quote Originally Posted by a1veedubber View Post
    Sweet. Did they have the plug there too or was that at Radio Shack.

(I lament that most Radio Shack employees today do not even know what a radio shack is)
    Had to go to Radio shi-err Shack for that...It's in the drawers for electronic bits. 1/8 stereo jack.
    Jay

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Anyone know a source for the schematics for the Delco ETR radios?

Ken T.

NE of The 8th Most Dangerous City in America
    Vehicle
    87/88 Eurosport VR

I looked into that a year or two ago. Didn't have much luck. All I really found out was a stereo repair shop might be able to help. Not an installer like Best Buy, but an actual mom-and-pop repair shop. There is one in my area, about 20 miles away, but I didn't pursue the issue to see if they could help.
    Check out my VR at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/805391 and at the definitive source of Eurosport VR information http://www.eurosportvr.com

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Well, I just got done with the mod to the van. I ended up cheating and tapped into the input between the tape player and the amp. I have to have the tape player going but it will play without a tape and with the "ST-PL" button, I can switch between my ipod and Alex Jones and blues night on KUT...
    Jay

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Anyone know a source for the schematics for the Delco ETR radios?

Ken T.
    I have a schematic from 1986...
    Jay

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

That would be handy. Maybe with an '86 schematic, one could figure out the '96 ETR. They look pretty much the same... at least on the outside anyway.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

That would definitely be handy. If there were changes, they were probably minimal. I wouldn't mind taking a look at the schematic, though my electronics skills are admittedly very rusty.

I'm quite interested in the possibility of modding preamp outs from a stock Delco deck for whenever I finally get myself an A-body convertible. My goal with that is to run aftermarket speakers (no sub) off of a hidden amplifier so that it looks stock but sounds considerably better.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle

Frankly, I'm surprised no one hasn't done this already. It's been done before on classic car radios. I know my father could do it. His was the generation when they still fixed things, instead of just replacing stuff.

I like the appearance of the stock unit. I know it might seem a bit.... reduncand to have a pre-amp input and a pre-amp output this head unit, but hey, it's 1.5 DIN. It just doesn't look right any other way.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Indeed. I love the functionality I get with a modern aftermarket head unit, but it just doesn't look right. I deal with it, since I'm all for function over form, but if I got something I'd want to show off, then my priorities would reverse and I'd want it to look better.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle

Well, I got the schematics...at least for the earlier radio. Maybe my father might look at it; he's very good with this sort of thing.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3

I got my olds this month and am too lazy to buy a deck right now and found this thread yesterday. I went to radio shack and got the catalog #274-0246 1/8 Stereo-phone jack. This is one of the useful things they actually still stock. Then headed to home depot and got 3 feet of 18awg 4 conductor shielded security wire. It was only like 2$ and some change after tax for 3ft! Add some heat shrink because I was out another 6$ radio shack, and for 11$ and something fun to do I got my deck working with phone/ipod.

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    What would be real cool would be to figure out how to intercept the pre-amp signal and pipe it to a pair of RCA jacks. That way you can put a REAL AMP behind the Delco ETR and be able to use 4 ohm speakers w/o fear of overheating the amp.

Ken T.
    Has anyone done this? I'd like to keep my stock radio but also be able to run a small sub

Help! I tried to installed the aux hook up and it doesn't work. I have an early model delco, no tape player just radio, out of my 86 celebrity. I first noticed there was only one band of wires going to the amp, containing 9 wires, one closest to the front colorered orange. I wired it exactly to your instructions. Why isn't it working and what do I need to do different?

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken Chafin View Post
    Help! I tried to installed the aux hook up and it doesn't work. I have an early model delco, no tape player just radio, out of my 86 celebrity. I first noticed there was only one band of wires going to the amp, containing 9 wires, one closest to the front colorered orange. I wired it exactly to your instructions. Why isn't it working and what do I need to do different?
    The member who wrote this original procedure used a more modern radio. The amplifier is totally different. If I have an early-style radio, I can try to find the correct connection points. Can't promise anything due to my work schedule at this time.

Thanks! I'll try to post good quality pics of the wiring in the radio when I get around to takin the dash back apart if it'll help

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast