Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: DIY GM Delco AUX input

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

You are quite welcome. I had read a lot on line but actually had to see it and measure it myself to understand how it switched.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by CorvairGeek View Post
    You are quite welcome. I had read a lot on line but actually had to see it and measure it myself to understand how it switched.
    I've turned the internet upside down looking up this stuff. Truly, this site was the best resource by far.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

This may actually work with my delco. Except mine does not have a ribbon wire like the new ones. Mine is all individual wires with masking tape on it to make it look like ribbon cable.. .. But i'm going to find out

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Radio number 1 successful aux input mod

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FpImjS_GipY

Awesome. The issue is finding a good place for the jack on the symphony sound radio. The plain radios are simple. Enough space for everything

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by cody1234 View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FpImjS_GipY

Awesome. The issue is finding a good place for the jack on the symphony sound radio. The plain radios are simple. Enough space for everything
    I would imagine so. Do you know if they have the same amp? The ones with the equalizer and the ETRs wtih cassette seem to be the same.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

My symphony sound is the old style 1982 version which the amp is different but the common ones.. Aka. The one everybody has seems to have the same amp as the others. Late 80s they all were practically the same. That 1988 am fm has same amp as the am fm cassette. The symphony sound the amp looks the same. But the plug for the eqs and cassette may be different. But the aux mod should work with them.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

On this photo. The very top radio the aux mod is possible. Same 8 wire connector. The one below it. Is the old style. Might be possible but i think it has 1 extra wire. I can check. Chances are you probably have the top one

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

The cool thing as well. If you get a stereo with new style connectors. That hook into the car for power and speakers. It is possible to swap components around to make a new one have old plugs and vice versa. That symphony sound came from a 1991 coupe DeVille. New plugs. But. I had an old symphony sound that the fm reception sucked and the display didnt work and the cassette didnt play. Swap the amp. Volume knob part thats connected to it. And the metal that wraps around. Cut the yellow wire and hook the old plug that hangs out the right side. And use solder iron to remove antenna jack and put it in the newer one. Bam. You now have a 1984 compatible stereo. I am not sure if the night lights will work. I dont think i hooked that up. I dont remember. Idk if the new ones have a ground circuit light or positive circuit light. My saturn wasnt able to do it. And it has the newer plugs. I didnt chance it with that in mind.

Vehicle

Cody,

Looks like you have quite a bit of research done. All you have to do now is do a formal write up with some pics.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Well must add to this thread installed the aux mod to the 95 Buick and all so sweet to have my I pod music playing . I have to share this I had a new fancy jvc CD player usb and aux jacks . I had the oh so fun task pulling it apart and find a compasitor blow out on it cause it wasn't working . The board is so small and tiny couldn't find the capisitor size nor the schematics to it on line . So I tossed it on my desk And installed a old gm delco radio and been happier with it . Most of my music is on my I pod vs tons of cassettes and cd etc . Thanks guys for all ur help !!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    Well must add to this thread installed the aux mod to the 95 Buick and all so sweet to have my I pod music playing . I have to share this I had a new fancy jvc CD player usb and aux jacks . I had the oh so fun task pulling it apart and find a compasitor blow out on it cause it wasn't working . The board is so small and tiny couldn't find the capisitor size nor the schematics to it on line . So I tossed it on my desk And installed a old gm delco radio and been happier with it . Most of my music is on my I pod vs tons of cassettes and cd etc . Thanks guys for all ur help !!
    Keith,

I like the location of the jack. Was it difficult to get it in there?

Ken T.

Quote Originally Posted by CorvairGeek View Post
    Here is what I found and verified;
    Orange is the right channel
    White is the left the channel
    Light Brown wire in the middle of the five wires goes to 10.2 volts when the tape deck operates. It is low (zero volts) when the radio is operating.
    Red wire supplies 12 volts to the tape deck.
    Red and white or white and red (depends on vintage) is at 12 volts when the radio is on and low (0.1v) when the tape deck is in operation.

I recall being able to switch to the tape input alone by tying 12 volts to the light brown wire. It even wanted to auto-switch when an input was applied, but that was with the tape deck ungrounded. It could be that I actually used the red/white wire tied to the light brown wire for switching. As I needed to keep the tape deck intact, I found it interesting but wasn't what I needed at the time.
    Hey, I just wanted to clarify on your post -

If the switch between the red wire (12v to tape deck) and the light brown wire (input enable) is set to be in the tape deck position and there is still input from the aux jack. Is there nothing to stop the signal from the aux jack from interfering with the signal from the tape deck? (for example playing a tape while receiving mp3 input)

(also the write up link on the front page is dead - does anyone have a copy?)

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Quote Originally Posted by buick96 View Post
    Hey, I just wanted to clarify on your post -

If the switch between the red wire (12v to tape deck) and the light brown wire (input enable) is set to be in the tape deck position and there is still input from the aux jack. Is there nothing to stop the signal from the aux jack from interfering with the signal from the tape deck? (for example playing a tape while receiving mp3 input)

(also the write up link on the front page is dead - does anyone have a copy?)
    That would be correct. If a tape was inserted, the deck would switch on, the motor would operate the tape mechanism, and both the tape and any outside audio signal on the aux line would be heard. I believe if you hit FF or REV, you would hear only the aux input until the tape started playing again.

As I had no longer had any interest in the cassette feature, but figured the primary driver might (but no interest in the aux input for her), I knew the mixing of both audio signals wouldn't be a problem for us.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac6ksteawd View Post
    From my understandings, this should also work on CD players. I havent dont this to comfirm. But I have a question. Will the tape deck still work?
    it would depend how its done. but it should still operate. I have a regular 1988 am fm radio with aux moded that cuts the audio from am fm board. I have one with cassette that it also cuts the am fm board, and have one from before that cuts the cassette audio signal. my first one, you had to have a tape in it so it would "play the cassette audio" which was a pain.

I also have an old early 80s audiovox cassette deck I modded with an input that cuts pre-amp in from the entire audio circuit. weather your playing am/fm or cassette it will interrupt it with the aux cable inserted.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast