Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eurosport VR Coupe

Vehicle
    cartruckcartruckcarcarcarcarcarcar

I am glad that you picked this up. It sounds like it was in the process of being run into the ground!
    So Many A's I have a 5.0 GPA!!
    • 1988 Century Limited
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport coupe
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport CL coupe (parts car)
    • 1985 Celebrity sedan
    • 1982 Celebrity CL coupe

Non contributing members: 15 Verano, 06 Silverado, 90 Lumina, 89 S-10, 88 Golf Cabriolet

Yes, you can tell that once upon a time someone took care of the car, but more recently someone has just let it go.

Today I put in a new turn signal blinker (it was blinking too slow), changed the door weatherstripping on both sides and installed some a-pillar trim. The trim was from a sedan, I just cut it down to fit. The weatherstripping came from a '97 Cavalier coupe BTW. It fit's well and is the right thickness and is almost long enough. I had to use about 4 inches of original weatherstripping at the bottom of the door opening. It would be more than long enough for use on a sedan.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

I really need to make it a point to visit here more often... I'm glad you got yourself a VR Coupe. It's definitely found the right home with you... especially with all of the parts you have stashed for a resto job. Is that a plastic piece covering the rocker panels? And if so what kind of condition are those in? To be honest, I'm surprised whoever welded that door striker in place survived the project :P

The lower rocker and door covers are indeed plastic, they are in ok condition. The upper retaining trim (J channels) is warped and missing ends and the right door piece has a large chunk missing at the front.

I looked up the Ohio title history for this car, it's interesting. It only goes back to '89 though... that could be the car came from another state, or the computer system just doesn't go back any farther. Anyway, the second owner bought the car in '89 and sold it to a Dodge dealer in late '93. The Dodge dealer sold the car in early '94 and that person had the car clear until '08. I'm going to say this is when the car's condition started to decline, because it then changed hands a few more times before we got it.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Washed the car today and the Cavi door weatherstripping passed the leak test with flying colors. Sprayed the hose directly along the upper door frame and nothing leaked in. I also changed the rear shocks today with monroe sensa=tracs and the car rides great now... but while I was under there I noticed that the fuel tank is starting to seep a bit and the RR brake line is broken and smashed closed. So that needs fixed too.

Here's how the car looks today, fresh out of it's bath. The mechanical side of things is decent enough now that we can start to focus on cosmetics.

-Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

It's expected on a cheap car. But worth it since it's a complete VR and all the rare parts are intact and repairable.
    Jay

I have yet to find anything I'm not willing/able to fix
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

And even as rusted out, roached out that car is, it is STILL damned sexy!
    Jay

Vehicle
    2003 Taurus

I, too, do not visit here as much as I should, or used to. But I just got done reading this thread and DANG! So glad it ended up in your hands. You are giving this car the love and respect it so desperatly needed. And once you get her lookin new again, she will return the favor and give you years of service, and much love back. I do want to say, though, THANK YOU for replacing that steering wheel. It was just hideous. I will be watching this thread, and living vicariously through your restoration, since I still haven't located a project for myself. (In search of a Ciera XC.) Best of luck with the remainder of the project.

I'd rather drive a cobbled together rustbucket Ford than a brand new Chrysler anyday.

Vehicle
    cartruckcartruckcarcarcarcarcarcar

I hadn't realized that Ohio has also fallen for the cliche 'city skyline-farm scene' license plate. We have had them since 96. Argh!
    So Many A's I have a 5.0 GPA!!
    • 1988 Century Limited
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport coupe
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport CL coupe (parts car)
    • 1985 Celebrity sedan
    • 1982 Celebrity CL coupe

Non contributing members: 15 Verano, 06 Silverado, 90 Lumina, 89 S-10, 88 Golf Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by a1veedubber View Post
    I hadn't realized that Ohio has also fallen for the cliche 'city skyline-farm scene' license plate. We have had them since 96. Argh!
    Yep, but we currently have 4 different plates that are legal to use. The current one you see here, the previous red/white/blue, the 2003 "bicentennial" plate (looks very similar to the R/W/B plate), and a white/gold plate that has been in use since '96. Until recently, when getting new plates you had the option of the new ones or the R/W/B plates, but now you are stuck with the new ones. Although I "think" if you get custom tags, they are still the R/W/B plates.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

NE of The 8th Most Dangerous City in America
    Vehicle
    87/88 Eurosport VR

Awsome find and killer save! I'd love to have that car as my daily driver. sweet!!!!!
    Check out my VR at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/805391 and at the definitive source of Eurosport VR information http://www.eurosportvr.com

Quote Originally Posted by mickstan_VR View Post
    Awsome find and killer save! I'd love to have that car as my daily driver. sweet!!!!!
    My mom has been driving it and absolutely loves the car. She's a school teacher in Hilliard she tells me people often comment on the car. About a week ago she was stopped in the CVS parking lot by the owner of another VR that thought he had the only one in Hilliard. She thought it was funny that I knew who it was before she said anything else (it was Tim, owner of the 5-speed VR).
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    1990 Cutlass Ciera SL (Sold)

Just trolling for any possible updates on the VR. Nice project.
    Sold June 2015
    1990 Olds Ciera SL 3.3L 440T4 JA2 (FE3 upgrade underway.)
    -96 Trans Sport swaybar
    -98 Malibu 15" wheels (205 60 15 tires)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 2.0L
    2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66 5.3L
    2007 Mazda6 Sport 3.0L

USAF (Retired) 1986-2007

My current home is S. Korea, but Tacoma, WA is where I am from.
    Vehicle
    2 85 STE. One I drive, the other is under a slowww restoration.

To 86 Euro:

Where will you source your rubber trim from?

Kristopher

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast