Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: '86 Pontiac 6000 LE in Moscow, Russia

Vehicle
    2003 Taurus

Quote Originally Posted by alex_van_gee View Post
    Sorry for asking not-car-related question... I am translating subtitles for "That '70s Show" for a bunch of fans of this series and I am stuck with one expression. "You make me feel like hips". I understand this can't be translated literally, but I can't be sure what this expression mean. Google didn't help me. The best I can figure out is "You make me to want you" or something like that.
    I feel like an idiot, can't finish a whole episode translation because of this. Translated two and a half seasons and this is the first time I can't find a solution.
    Google translate is usually pretty good, have you tried that?

Love the avatar, BTW

I'd rather drive a cobbled together rustbucket Ford than a brand new Chrysler anyday.

Vehicle
    '86 Pontiac 6000 LE 2.8L V6 carb (VIN X)

Quote Originally Posted by RIPBARNBURNER View Post
    Google translate is usually pretty good, have you tried that?

Love the avatar, BTW
    Google translate is pretty stupid with frasal verbs and slang About avatar - yeah, I'm a huge fan of Family Guy

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

I"m going to take a shot in the dark for the translation but I'm guessing the original phrase is probably something like you make me feel hip, which is a phrase people haven't used since the 70s. basically hip would be make me feel cool(which I guess may also not translate right) or I guess popular might be close enough.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lemons bob View Post
    I"m going to take a shot in the dark for the translation but I'm guessing the original phrase is probably something like you make me feel hip, which is a phrase people haven't used since the 70s. basically hip would be make me feel cool(which I guess may also not translate right) or I guess popular might be close enough.
    Yes, I'm thinking something like this. I am sure it's some play on words here. Hard to find russian alternative for this phrase. It's always hard with puns. A lot of sitcoms and comedies were spoiled with official Russian translations. When I watched Friends in English I was amazed how much fun I've lost when watched it years ago in Russian.
    Thanks, lemons bob.

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

well this isn't even a pun which makes it worse. its a straight idiom, or a phrase that actually doesn't have a translation and doesn't mean anything unless you live in its from. With english its even more difficult than other languages because there are different phrase in each country that speaks it that makes no sense to the others. There are things they say in england that make no sense to the americans or australians and the same goes for the other countries. So according to which country they teach you aimed towards you may pick up some of their sayings but I seriously doubt they'll cover things from 30 years ago.

Actually now that I think about it, if one of the parents said the phrase it might have been translated correctly but it just wouldn't seem funny that the person said hips instead of hip.

Vehicle

It looks like I need a new radiator. It's frustrating there's no any in Russia and shipping from US costs about $150, more that radiator itself. But I am curious which one should I order. Rockauto has Heavy Duty radiators, how to decide is it suitable for my car or not?

Vehicle

Well, it's been awhile. I somewhow forgot about this thread and just wanted to start new one to share what's going on with the car.
    Can't believe it's been two years =)

The most huge thing that I had is dead water pump past winter. It's been PITA to find out what happened, 'cause it's been really cold outside and I drove only for the short distances, so when the heater stopped working I thought it just was the plugged heater core or air pocket (I had leaking radiator at that time). A lot of time past since I've got the overheating issue and then I finally came with idea of replacing water pump. Too bad at that moment I wasn't sure it was the problem, so I bought new radiator and heater core and some new coolant hoses (as it turned out later, I've got the wrong hoses, 'cause it's really hard to get the right ones from Rockauto just by the pictures). It's not a good idea to buy some heavy stuff if you don't need it, because the shipping rates are pretty high when you ship it from US to Russia.

Anyway, when the repair shop removed the old pump it was all broken. I've got the new one installed and all was fine. Turned out the heater core wasn't plugged. I also repaired the old radiator, so the new one still is in the box. While car was in the repair shop I also got new brake rotors and pads installed and did some maintenance on calipers with caliper repair kit. Also got new plugs and plug wires.

A couple of months later I've found that plugs installed by the shop wasn't the right ones. I've got serious problem with car shaking and stalling after tranny switching in Overdrive.

As they say in Back to the Future, To be continued...
    '86 Pontiac 6000 LE 2.8L V6 carb
    My Instagram page Mostly Pontiac 6000 and our pomeranian

Vehicle
    1990 Buick Century Custom 3.3 "T-Type" sedan

As they say in Back to the Future, To be continued...
    lol, I used to have "quote wars" with friends at work with Back To The Future quotes... I never thought of using the "To be continued..." And hip means to be cool because you are "popular and in style and up with the latest trends" and 70s style was quite the trend!!!!
    Roads.... Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by thesam1984 View Post
    lol, I used to have "quote wars" with friends at work with Back To The Future quotes... I never thought of using the "To be continued..."
    I just typed "To be continued..." and then this poped in my brain

My current home is S. Korea, but Tacoma, WA is where I am from.
    Vehicle
    2 85 STE. One I drive, the other is under a slowww restoration.

To alex_van_gee:

It is amazing to see an a-body in a foreign country, especially Russia. I would buy the parts that you would replace normally, plus the ones you need now. How long do you plan in staying in Russia? Are there any car clubs you can join? Enjoy your steed and as it was said, if you need any assistance, we are here to do just that.

Most Sincerely,

Kristopher Gerbracht

I've got serious problem with car shaking and stalling after tranny switching in Overdrive...
    Well, unplug the Overdrive wire going to transmission...

Vehicle

To Kristopher Gerbracht:

Since I was born in Russia, I am Russian and don't have any plans to move out in observable future, so I will stay here for a pretty long time, like for the rest of my life probably =)
    It's flattering if you thought that I am here only for a little time =)

And there's a club of American cars enthusiasts called "Freedomcars". But the mid-size cars are not so respected as RWD, full-size on frames like Chevy Caprice Classic and Ford Crown Victoria. Unfortunately, it's pretty damn expensive in Russia to have old powerful car with huge engine, so I am very happy with my 6000 LE. To be honest, I don't like post '86 modifications at all and I was very lucky to find this '86 after few Ford Tauruses, Chevy Luminas and couple of Buick Regals. I felt in love with this car at first sight, it really looks cool with it's Trans AM-like fender and four headlights.

I heard there was a lot of Buick Centurys in mid-90s imported from US to Russia, but now almost all of them gone to junkyards or just abandoned. I know only a couple of people who own Cutlass Ciera and Celebrity and there's one Century in my town (I live in Moscow's suburban). Never saw another 6000 on the road, only the one at junkyard which I used as a source of the taillight when mine was broken.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post
    Well, unplug the Overdrive wire going to transmission...
    It was ignition issue and it was repaired. I'll post about it tomorrow. Now it's too late in Moscow to type a lot of letters =) I'd better be going to sleep.
    '86 Pontiac 6000 LE 2.8L V6 carb
    My Instagram page Mostly Pontiac 6000 and our pomeranian

Vehicle

Well, let's continue. The shaking and stalling issues were really bad. The worst part was that I couldn't start the engine after stalling and when I tried to do it for some time the battery was drained.
    Long story short, it turned out that I had two problems at one time. First, it was ignition issues, on low RPMs the engine was missing and that caused that shaking and stalling when tranny was shifted in overdrive or high gear. Second, the starter didn't work when hot.

First, I checked the plugs. They had the white color. I've read some information and the white color could be if the plugs were too hot for my engine. The plugs were installed by service shop (and I didn't ask them to do it at all), it was the Accel plugs. I checked the Accel website and find out that this type of plug wasn't recommended for my application and yes, it was too hot.
    I've got myself new right Denso plugs, did the right gap and all that shaking and stalling was gone. I also installed new distributor rotor.

After that I turned to the starter problem, I almost took it off the car when find out that nuts on the starter cover were loose and everything inside the starter were shaking. I tightened that nuts and installed spring washers. And that solved the problem.

A couple months ago I saw this:

When you see that on your shocks you go and buy new ones =) I did exactly this and got new KYBs. Really want to change the front struts but they are expensive and don't look that bad so maybe later.

One month ago I decided to replace EGR valve. The old one didn't work as it should, I couldn't press it with my fingers. When I took it off the car, it was all plugged with exhaust deposits. Same thing with all the channels in manifold. It took a lot of time to clean all that stuff. Didn't notice significant change in how car drives and engine works but I believe I did the right thing anyway.

And now most important thing that I learned this year is that when you got old car you really must to take off the carpet and see what's going on under your feet.
    Look what I've found:

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

Now that's a surprise!
    There were three huge puddles under the feet. The only place where there wasn't water is right back passenger's.

Now I need to do some rust cleaning, painting and all that stuff, but most important I need to get rid of leak.
    I cleaned the drains in front of windshield but it didn't solve the problem. I sprayed two litres of water on the windshield and saw the water leaking on both sides under the dash. I am almost 100% sure the problem is the leaking windshield sealing. I wanted to replace the windshield but right now don't have enough money so I could try to find exact leaking spot and try to seal it.

Glad you are taking time to repair your car properly.

I have had several cars which leak. It can be hard to find. These cars had a problem with the windsheild de-bonding from the car body. This caused the leak. Remove the windsheild and install it again with new sealant. It should be fine!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast