Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 VR wagon build "Wednesday Addams"

Default 1987 VR wagon build "Wednesday Addams"

Good evening folks, new thread about building back up one of gms rarest 80's cars. Her name is Wednesday Addams. A little history on her goes like this; she was converted into a VR on Monday June 15, 1987, so I believe she was built the Wednesday before. Her original owners took her home to live in N.Y. for some time then took her with them when they moved to Atlanta, ga. She was used as the family truckster until the family all decided to buy imports. At that time, the family parked her under a pine tree and abandoned her! So she sat for 5 lonely years without so much as a crank over.
    Then I found her on the internet without much hope but called anyway. After a couple months negotiating, I hopped a greyhound bus in Ocala, Fl and went to see this car. As expected, she was a diamond in a turd. So we did an oil change, changed the serp belt, and aired up the tires. Next thing I know, I'm driving a piece of automotive history home! Wednesday made it with no problems :-} Once home I found her to be amazingly rust free and only 193,xxx on her. Then I let her sit for a year or so with rare drives from time to time.
    After getting out of jail, I decided to bring Wednesday back into use. Besides typical maintenance, she was a soldier. Drove her for 20k before smoking the trans (blew a axle seal and continued driving).
    From there she sat again for 2 years. Then, in January, I decided to replace the trans and get her ready for the Daytona Turkey run. Well one thing turned to another and, while we missed the car show, the whole engine bay is basically new except the motor and steering rack. Amount of debt racked up so far $2500!!!
    Future plans include new paint, interior, tint, graphics, hearse appearance package, drivetrain upgrades, and more!
    Will post pics when I figure out photobucket and uploading with the cell phone.

Aussenseiter

Glad you're starting a build thread! Hope the CV axle debacle is solved soon for you.
    Sincerely,
    David

Hearse appearance package?

Can't wait to see pictures!
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

thanks for the kind words GuyS. came up with an interesting idea worth trying for removing the CV axle, going to try a pickle fork ball joint separator.
    the idea for the hearse appearance package is because the car looks so long an low with the VR kit. Basically, after it's tinted, I'm gonna have decals cut so it like landau bars on the sides and a bow tie and wreath on the back.

Vehicle
    1992 Acura NSX

Quote Originally Posted by 86euro View Post
    Hearse appearance package? Can't wait to see pictures!
    Haha, that's what I was thinking too! Sounds like a fun Build. I will be watching for updates.
    1986 Celebrity Classic 2.8 (First car - sold)
    2013 Acura ILX
    1994 Acura Legend (x 2)
    1992 Acura NSX
    drivetofive.wordpress.com

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

'87? Does it have the fancy interior? If so, would you mind posting pictures please? I would like to see the back seat specifically.

Why, yes, George, it does the upgraded interior. More than happy to post pics if I could figure out how to get the links from photobucket to our phone to this site.
    Please don't expect to see much from the interior. When it was being detailed for the 2012 Daytona Turkey Rod Run, the rear seat sort of disintegrated! So much fun driving to a car show with a sopping wet back seat. Good thing I was solo then.....

Good evening y'all, this update is long so make sure ya got some time, a comfy seat, and a beverage of your choice....
    Here we go:
    I have driven the vr!! But it is far from drivable, sadly. It started like this....
    Went to Advance and got a pickle fork set. Tried for several hours using it with no luck. Had my darling assistant (wifey) call around for a specific axle puller. As luck would have it, AutoZone had one for a princely deposit fee of $68! Normally I wouldn't gripe, but advance never charges me a dime. Anyhoo, got it to the lair and of course it didn't fit exactly. With nothing to lose, I went at it pretty hard and finally the tiny axle was out. Reassembly was pretty straight forward with lowering each side of the subframe to line up the ball joints. Oh, and MJ (wife) got to help with installing the new axles! So proud of her!
    Then the moment of truth had arrived. And as expected, Wednesday refused to start. Unplugged the map sensor and she was fine. Put her in reverse and she moved on her own but no brakes. Eased her to dads (2miles away) and then to a shop to tighten the axle nuts. The whole time the front end made horrible noises. Crunching popping etc. Oh and smoking, can't forget smoking. I think it's oil and fluids on the rotors. And still no brakes.
    Does this seem like the trip was all bad? Well, there was positive points as well. First off the steering is freaking AWESOME! !!!!! The new pump and lines are so up to par.... <drooling >. The whole thing feels dam light! I can't wait to shake the bugs the bugs out and really push it. If I had to compare the steering on the vr, I'd say it's easily in the league of my old 81 x11 with manual steering (r.i.p.)
    To close out this novel, Wednesday is back in the lair, soon to be joined by mommas saturn. Might be a couple weeks before we get back to the vr but we'll update as progress occurs.

AuSSenseiter

Glad you got her up and running again!

That's scary about the front end crunching and popping. Could the brakes be binding up and dragging, causing the smoke? I have seen the rubber hoses swell internally and close up like an asthmatic trachea. There may be a little fluid going to the brakes (not enough to work well) but it stays trapped there and then the brakes burn up.

Sure wish you'd post some pictures! The VR is one of the rarest A-cars, especially since the Celebrity has been out of production for so long.

Sincerely,
    David

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by 1987 Black VR wagon Fam View Post
    Good evening y'all, this update is long so make sure ya got some time, a comfy seat, and a beverage of your choice....
    Here we go:
    I have driven the vr!! But it is far from drivable, sadly. It started like this....
    Went to Advance and got a pickle fork set. Tried for several hours using it with no luck. Had my darling assistant (wifey) call around for a specific axle puller. As luck would have it, AutoZone had one for a princely deposit fee of $68! Normally I wouldn't gripe, but advance never charges me a dime. Anyhoo, got it to the lair and of course it didn't fit exactly. With nothing to lose, I went at it pretty hard and finally the tiny axle was out. Reassembly was pretty straight forward with lowering each side of the subframe to line up the ball joints. Oh, and MJ (wife) got to help with installing the new axles! So proud of her!
    Then the moment of truth had arrived. And as expected, Wednesday refused to start. Unplugged the map sensor and she was fine. Put her in reverse and she moved on her own but no brakes. Eased her to dads (2miles away) and then to a shop to tighten the axle nuts. The whole time the front end made horrible noises. Crunching popping etc. Oh and smoking, can't forget smoking. I think it's oil and fluids on the rotors. And still no brakes.
    Does this seem like the trip was all bad? Well, there was positive points as well. First off the steering is freaking AWESOME! !!!!! The new pump and lines are so up to par.... <drooling >. The whole thing feels dam light! I can't wait to shake the bugs the bugs out and really push it. If I had to compare the steering on the vr, I'd say it's easily in the league of my old 81 x11 with manual steering (r.i.p.)
    To close out this novel, Wednesday is back in the lair, soon to be joined by mommas saturn. Might be a couple weeks before we get back to the vr but we'll update as progress occurs.

AuSSenseiter
    It's always good to have a trusty ally in the form of your very own wife. She's always got your back. My wife has assisted in a number of projects, notably:

1) Certified (by me) brake bleeder assistant
    2) She's petite, so she was able to help me replaced the thermostat on the 3100 w/o pulling manifolds or exhaust pipes
    3) ...and probably most impressive she assisted me in installing the 5 spd manual trans into my S10! She had the tranny by the tailstock and I manned the trans jack to stab that clutch! I couldn't have done it with our her!

Most of all she puts up with my mechanic hobby!

Ken T.

Ken T.

Ok folks, finally got to a real computer so hopefully the pics will come through. No real updates as the car is parked again. These are just random pics from the most recent tear down/ rebuild.

Nice progress. The members of this forum like pictures!

Keep them coming!

Tonight's update is a quick and simple one. Drove the vr around the yard to clear the bay for mommas saturn. Once the vr was in its new spot it was once again put on jack stands. The diagnosis was pretty simple once the wheels came off, the brand new (less than 5 miles) drivers side hub bearing failed very badly. It was so bad the axle nut had backed off to the point I was able to remove it by hand and socket! !!! Once the torx bolts were removed, the assembly literally fell into my hands in 3 pieces! !!!!! Not a happy camper but thank goodness it failed at low speed & close to home.

AuSSenseiter

Vehicle
    1994 Ciera, 3.1 MPI

wow--at least there was a bit of good luck along with the bad--hope you get her going again soon : - )

Tonight's update is a quick and simple one. Drove the vr around the yard to clear the bay for mommas saturn. Once the vr was in its new spot it was once again put on jack stands. The diagnosis was pretty simple once the wheels came off, the brand new (less than 5 miles) drivers side hub bearing failed very badly. It was so bad the axle nut had backed off to the point I was able to remove it by hand and socket! !!! Once the torx bolts were removed, the assembly literally fell into my hands in 3 pieces! !!!!! Not a happy camper but thank goodness it failed at low speed & close to home.

AuSSenseiter

AuSSenseiter
    Wow, that's frightening that the bearing was disintegrated.

These cars depend on the CV shaft nut being tight to keep the bearing races together. If this works loose, the bearing will fail totally.

Glad to see pictures of the repair! Looks like your car has been sitting up a while, based on the dust on the underbody parts.

LOL at the exhaust clamp on the lifting chain! That's ingenuity at its best.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast