Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 1987 VR wagon build "Wednesday Addams"

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Yeah, I can see where the metal box is just tougher, but the plastic is a natural insulator.

I love the old school look of the metal box though!

Ken T.

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Yeah, I can see where the metal box is just tougher, but the plastic is a natural insulator.

I love the old school look of the metal box though!

Ken T.
    I've never tried to interchange the plastic and metal boxes, however I suspect the plastic one would give better airflow. I have a feeling the shape of the interior of the box was probably updated to be more aerodynamic. But as said I don't know if they interchange or not; or what other parts would have to be kept with the new box for it to work.

My builds have always had the metal box. I've used a heavy coat of rubberized undercoating, and on another one a heavy coat of truck-bed coating. Those are both sound deadening and will give some slight thermal insulation.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    I've never tried to interchange the plastic and metal boxes, however I suspect the plastic one would give better airflow. I have a feeling the shape of the interior of the box was probably updated to be more aerodynamic. But as said I don't know if they interchange or not; or what other parts would have to be kept with the new box for it to work.

My builds have always had the metal box. I've used a heavy coat of rubberized undercoating, and on another one a heavy coat of truck-bed coating. Those are both sound deadening and will give some slight thermal insulation.
    Yeah, I was thinking about the heat your builds put out tremendous heat. I would imagine with the Buick mill in there, the rear bank is pretty close.

Ken T.

Just thought I'd check in and let everyone know that Wednesday is fine despite being put on the back burner for awhile. Dads having problems keeping the dog in the yard so he has been pressuring me to dry fit everything so the car can be moved and his gate closed. Not sure how to proceed because everything is so fragile right now.... But it would be amazing to get a glimpse as to what she's gonna look like when she's done.....
    Only thing really done on her lately was the addition of painters tape to the windshield because the tree she's parked under is getting a bit long in the branch.....

Quote Originally Posted by 1987 Black VR wagon Fam View Post
    Just thought I'd check in and let everyone know that Wednesday is fine despite being put on the back burner for awhile. Dads having problems keeping the dog in the yard so he has been pressuring me to dry fit everything so the car can be moved and his gate closed. Not sure how to proceed because everything is so fragile right now.... But it would be amazing to get a glimpse as to what she's gonna look like when she's done.....
    Only thing really done on her lately was the addition of painters tape to the windshield because the tree she's parked under is getting a bit long in the branch.....
    Glad to see an update. I know how it goes when you got too many irons in the fire. Hope you can take advantage of the cooler weather to do some work on Wednesday!

Still not much to report but did manage to get a little sanding done on the cowl compartment. Kinda surprising that they put the seam sealer over the primer.
    Thinking of removing the wiper transmission for better access and easier painting. Opinions?
    Next is everyone's favorite part, pics!
    Wednesdays current condition

Primered heater box

Does anyone know what these clips are called or have a source for them? They slide on the inside the fender and clip onto the cowl panel. They seem rather fragile as both of mine broke

Vehicle

Very busy! Looks like you are hitting it from all angles at once!

For the clips, I could only suggest Dorman.

Ken T.

Ken, alot is going on at once! With all the new parts, I decided that this will be the last major mechanical tear down. I want to finally be able to get to the pretty work!! Mechanically an suspension speaking, Wednesday will be basically a new car (engine excluded, of course)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 1987 Black VR wagon Fam View Post
    Ken, alot is going on at once! With all the new parts, I decided that this will be the last major mechanical tear down. I want to finally be able to get to the pretty work!! Mechanically an suspension speaking, Wednesday will be basically a new car (engine excluded, of course)
    Well, you are definitely doing the hard stuff. Just getting the parts can be a pain, let lone the work itself. Engines, if you are experienced, in my mind are easier to work on.

Ken T.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314