Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Air Conditioner Repair Videos - Full System Restoration...

OK, Thanksgiving sabbatical is over!

Update: as suggested by Turbokinetic, I need to try the RED-GREEN washer combination next. Prior to that though, I carefully re-read the instruction sheet that came with the new replacement ACDelco compressor. It clearly advises to choose a washer combination based on the face configuration of the manifold block. Mine is a "raised" face hose block with built-in 7mm pilots, so the instructions call for a "THIN" sealing washer on the suction side and a RED washer on the discharge side.

While installing this washer combination, my Sears/Craftsman inch-pound torque wrench with a cheap plastic collar broke. Grrr ... Feels like the handle ratcheting mechanism is stripped and the collar won't lock. The wrench will no longer hold a torque setting. What a piece of ____! This wrench is practically brand new and has only been used lightly one time before on a previous job. Not only that, this wrench was a (free) replacement by the local Sears store to replace an identical/original wrench purchased new that developed the same problem with minimal use. Now I see similar complaints reported on the internet by users. So much for Sears/Chinaman torque wrench quality today. Hey, unlike my larger Snap-on and Truecraft foot-pounds torque wrenches, I knew I would have minimal use for an inch-pound wrench so I didn't pony up for a more expensive model. Guess I got what I paid for, eh? Caveat emptor! But to quote Turbokinetic, "I digress" ...

Anyway, I cautiously torqued the hose block bolt "by feel" with a ratchet, not wanting to over-torque. Vacuumed the a/c system as before but it still leaked down slowly. Bummer! Took a break for Thanksgiving. Now the weather has gotten cold enough that I have decided to wait until next spring before making another attempt. Don't have a garage. So unless we get an exceptionally warm winter day here in the northeast, or someone lets me borrow their garage, RED-GREEN has to wait. Sheesh, I really wanted to have a/c available for the defrost function for winter. Oh well ... In spite of being cautious, I wonder if I over-torqued the washers anyway? Or maybe they're still under-torqued? Won't know 'til I buy a new wrench to check.

So, I buttoned everything up and fired-up the 3300 to get the Ciera back on the road. What a racket! The car hadn't been run for well over a month, so I presume it was the lifters. (Oil is fresh & at proper level.) After running a bit, they pumped up and quieted down to normal. Took the Ciera for a drive. Now, out of nowhere, I've got ANOTHER problem. The doggone TH-125C/3T40 3-speed transmission won't upshift! Reverse works. No slipping. Engine is strong, runs great! No stalling while slowing down, indicative of a torque converter clutch problem. Seems to be stuck in 1st or 2nd while driving, I'm not sure which. Tranny shifted fine before, with absolutely no indication of a looming issue of any kind. Transmission fluid is topped off, color is faded pink vs. brown, no burnt odor. What the?

While doing all the a/c work, the only tranny-related components I touched were the cooler lines. I disconnected those lines from the radiator when I decided to remove and flush the radiator and cooling system on account of corrosion on the lower radiator support cross-member, which I subsequently cleaned up, primed and re-painted. Didn't touch the TV cable. I wonder if some dirt or debris got dislodged from the radiator cooler or deteriorating rubber portion of the OEM cooler lines and made its way into the throttle valve or some other component in the transmission. Kind of weird how the problem appeared so suddenly. I did lose a little ATF while removing the cooler lines, but nothing appreciable. What I lost I replaced with fresh ATF. The car is 23 years old, so the tranny seals are old, too. I also remember disconnecting the cruise control cable and the engine compartment wiring harness at several points for easier access to a/c lines. Hard to believe I caused a problem in doing so, but I suppose it's possible. So, I'm FRUSTRATED! (As everyone on this forum knows, this sentiment comes with working on cars, especially older ones ...)

Next up: At 70,000+ original miles on the odometer and considering the history of the car, it's likely that the transmission fluid and filter are original, too. Having gotten over my hissy-fit, I'm planning to drop the pan on a windless day to see what's in the bottom of it - hopefully no metallic debris. Will change the ATF and filter while at it and go from there. According to my information, this tranny is strictly hydraulic - no control electronics like with the 4-speed 4T60E. The only solenoid is for the torque converter clutch. So, hopefully an easy fix is on tap, but if not and I'm looking at a rebuild, it should be pretty straightforward although I'd prefer to avoid the expense. If anyone cares to weigh in on my tranny problem, I'm all ears.

Turbokinetic, if you feel it would be helpful to the forum, maybe you can transfer the tranny portion of my comments to a new thread, something like "Tranny no upshift problem". I need to spend more time on the forum to find my way around and learn how to work within it, which I will do in the future as time permits. Thanks.

Once I select a photo uploading service, I hope to soon start uploading my Ciera makeover pics to the forum.

Stay tuned.

Glad to see you're back on here and hope it was a good Thanksgiving!

I too have had very bad luck with Craftsman torque wrenches. I actually damaged an engine block because the rubber "handle" slipped on the wrench body. This "moved" the little window which shows you the torque setting. Because of this; it was reading 50 or more Lb-Ft lower than the actual point at which the wrench clicks.

I knew something was wrong, apparently my arms are more calibrated than I thought. But I trusted the instrument, and kept turning the bolt expecting a click. Before the wrench clicked, the threads pulled out of the engine block - rendering it scrap iron.

I have since bought a cheap Harbor Freight torque wrench, had it tested for accuracy, and found it was spot-on. This one has no plastic handle and the adjustment numbers are engraved into the handle with a steel sleeve that moves up and down to show where it is set.

As for the transmission problem, the transmission uses two signals to tell it when to shift. The two signals balance each other.

The first one is the throttle valve cable. It's connected to the throttle body, with a 'different' style of fitting than the Cruise and gas pedal cables. It will be on the opposite side from the Cruise and gas pedal cables. The farther out the cable is pulled, the higher the pressure.

The second signal source is the governor. This is a mechanism which uses centrifugal force to create a hydraulic pressure signal which varies according to road speed. The faster you go, the higher the pressure.

When The two pressures act on opposite ends of the shifting valves. When the TV cable pressure is high, it retards the shifting. When the governor pressure is high, it makes it shift.

This system depends on freely moving valves in the transmission hydraulic valve body. If there are any binding or stuck valves, things won't be right.

Another thing that can happen is the governor stops spinning. There is a plastic gear on the stem of the governor. If this is damaged, the governor will never register vehicle movement, and it won't shift out of first gear.

The speedometer is also operated by the governor shaft, so if you still have speedometer working, the governor gear is OK.

The throttle valve cable has a safety feature that will restrain the system in low gears if the cable gets disconnected. This is because, if it didn't stay in low gear, the transmission would get damaged by slipping.

While I have contributed a lot of info to this forum, I'm not a moderator and can't move a thread. Joe (Cutlass) is the moderator and could move it. I think your best bet will be to go to the Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting area and post it there.

Quote Originally Posted by 93CieraDude View Post
    OK, Thanksgiving sabbatical is over! ......

OK, Turbokinetic, I posted the tranny problem portion of my last a/c post to a new thread under "Mechanical & Electrical troubleshooting", just as you suggested; included your reply, too. And thanks for the primer on 3T40 internals!

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    There are several good photo hosting sites. I have used PhotoBucket. http://www.photobucket.com

I know that Duke George V uses ImgUr. http://imgur.com/

Maybe others can chime in, too.

There's a Photobucket tutorial here, it may help. http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?43553

I have also used a home server with static IP for pictures. I've had it since before the other sites were available and it works OK for small scale things. Since Photobucket has become so convenient, I have stopped adding to my home server and everything new in on Photobucket now.

EDIT: As a site note - do not use links to Facebook photos on this site. This is frowned upon by many members because not everyone wants to sign up for Facebook, and you're limiting who can see the pictures to Facebook subscribers. I respect peoples opinions and reasons, which are usually centered around privacy.
    Thanks for the tips. After being awol for a couple of months, I began uploading my '93 Ciera makeover project pics recently. I opted to try Photobucket and now have the hang of it after a few growing pains.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 93CieraDude View Post
    OK, Turbokinetic, I posted the tranny problem portion of my last a/c post to a new thread under "Mechanical & Electrical troubleshooting", just as you suggested; included your reply, too. And thanks for the primer on 3T40 internals!
    I have gone through the post and have found it really useful for me. I don't need any ac company now to handle the issue. Thank you !!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345