Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the 85 celebrity

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Plus. An update of a day of horrible luck. All in a day the power steering belt snapped a brake line blew out causing me to nearly total the car and the starter is giving me issues. All in a day. Not fun. I keep saying i will wait until the engine gets serious mechanical damage to replace it. But it just never quits running even tho it is getting rough.. I am considering a complete overhaul or a swap. I can get the motor for next to nothing. Car with the 3800 has 80k runs fine. From there i would try to find a supercharged 3800 for the supercharged setup. Not sure whats all needed and if that would work on an 88 3800 engine

Vehicle
    1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S 3.3 4T60

Quote Originally Posted by cody1234 View Post
    Plus. ...there i would try to find a supercharged 3800 for the supercharged setup. Not sure whats all needed and if that would work on an 88 3800 engine
    Man Cody, that's a nice car.
    That plate is "sweet" too (JNK makes it perfect for a sleeper, just make sure to keep it stock color).
    Throw in a "Turbokinetic 2000" (warmed over 3800) and that car would scream.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

I figured jnk meant junk and made me mad when i got it.soon as they gave me that plate i was like wtf?!! Now i get a junk plate for my junker. . that car gets a couple thumbs up. But not when they see it running. Sounds stupid and its rough right now. It is stock manifolds to straight pipe with a glasspack. I just think it sounds weird. I like fully straight piped better. And the low idle slightly retarded timing that had more rumbly sound then.but right now if i get it under 800 it stalls really easy.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

It would be good to know if there was any gm car or truck that had a 4bbl intake that would fit this celebrity. And if it is a rwd with thermostat on the wrong side do they make a hose that can basically wrap around somehow and connect to the radiator? Flexible stuff or even if i have to get a peice and make a steel section to put 2 odd ends together. I am possibly getting parts for the 2.8 and would like to either go 4bbl or get a better 2 bbl. But i dont want that 5 inch converter causing the carburetur to be higher than my wipers.with a giant hole in the hood

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

The "back in time" mods are done. Found an 83 with bottom end options. Got the dash face an passenger mirror delete plate. Along with the door part that has no provision for the mirror adjustment. The car had no rear defrost. No a-c. So there are no vents in the center any more. No defrost button. Almost want to scrape the defrost lines off the window and delete that option completely. I never use it. That car had nothing. Ihad a 2.5 automatic. With no options. Base model. Bench seats i almost want those bench seats . early 80s design. I think they look cool. Mine has the same setup but mine is a solid bench with separate back rest. That one had solid backs with a hidden arm rest and it has the little junk tray in the center like mine. Butthe color. What an 80s flashback. 83 is the last year that had that one. I am trying to figure out how to swap the climate control. Mine had a-c. But it d oes not work. Want to put the old vent heat defrost switch instead of ac and heat switch. But being cable operated i guess it would just be a "show" part that does not work as intended.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

And has anyone noticed the 83 82 glove box compartment is completely different even though the dash is the same? Instead of a drawer type in newer ones it had a flip down door.

Vehicle

Cody, do you have any pictures of your "backdate" mods?
    Doing that is popular with some classic bodied imports.
    The Germans very very good at developing a design and doing incremental changes that make forward or backdating possible sometimes spanning decades.
    Would love to see how yours is looking now.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

I actually do not. At this moment. Will post updates. Then can compare original. First pics. The newer style i had and the old style. Which i may keep. Still looking for an 83 front end. Grille. Light assembly thing. The one i found had a huge crack and drivers light chrome was broken. Other than that the chrome and painted surfaces looked perfect. Its a shame really. Nice looking car. It literally had absolutely no options. 2.5 auto. No ac no rear defrost no passenger mirror. Am fm analog radio. I know a guy with a 68 cadillac with a better radio. Even saw 70s chevy truck with a am fm cassette deck. Original delco. I have that am fm in now but once i get the symphony sound tuned up its getting put back. I want to put a auxillary. And find a cassette deck component with better clarity.. Theres no hi treble responce. Cleaned the whole deal. Made it better but the sound quality is bad. Its an old 1982 symphony sound. Old one

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Back track mods: http://youtu.be/3nTdP3swVGk

There she is. All my 1983 backtrack. Well. Downgrades. Factory this had mirror and digital am fm. I usually have the symphony sound am fm cassette equalizer as shown in pictures. But it is out for repair and mods. Amp repair aux connections and tape deck repair. Basically. Its a 82 symphony sound but i plan on swapping the internal tape deck fron a 1994 cadillac radio i have for better sound. (Hopefully). Gauges installed. Old style bezel i found at junkyard. Chrome and woodgrain. Screaming 70s style there.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Would be cool. To find a 83 cl woodgrain dash panel. 84 85 i think is too bland. Just a solid part. 82 83 has the retro look with the pinstripes and the fact it has screws on the outside. Easier. To remove too.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

And i like the old celebrity decal. Its made into the panel instead of a pasted on decal they used 84+

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cody1234 View Post
    That's really nice Cody! You are going to remember this car for the rest of your life. Its something you made and continue to make your own.
    Are you sure you cant fix the '83 front grill to put on? That mirror delete kicks tale!
    The car is starting to get a "The Last Starfighter" vibe to it. Keep it up man!

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

The part may be repairable i just do not have much experience with body work. Its broken at the drivers high beam area. Chrome part broken and the main part broken. If it was just broken chrome i would have gotten it and tryed to find a chrome part later on. I am tempted to go back for it since they are hard to find. At least the grille and passenger side chrome. Looked like new. For an 83?. Heck my 85 part looks like crap

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Got a 1982 front end now. Non broken version. Score

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

1985 face. Original. No likey

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast