Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the 85 celebrity

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

1982 faceplate. Yes likey. Now to find a new door. Color matched and as it is supposed to be color in and out is key to that part.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

The 1985 style trim is the only thing on the exterior that does not match a 1982. But i like the 85 trim style so it stays. But 1982 had chrome fender flare trim instead of black on chrome. But that fits the same. So. Maybe grab that. Also got new rubber for the doors. Around the window. All except the bottom sweep rubber. They were ok but started cracking. May check out 90s buick century for that part

Vehicle
    1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S 3.3 4T60

Quote Originally Posted by cody1234 View Post
    1982 faceplate. Yes likey. Now to find a new door. Color matched and as it is supposed to be color in and out is key to that part.
    I see what you mean! Very nice looking. What are your plans for the hood?. It makes me scared that it will rain or snow in there.

It would be good to know if there was any gm car or truck that had a 4bbl intake that would fit this celebrity. And if it is a rwd with thermostat on the wrong side do they make a hose that can basically wrap around somehow and connect to the radiator? Flexible stuff or even if i have to get a peice and make a steel section to put 2 odd ends together. I am possibly getting parts for the 2.8 and would like to either go 4bbl or get a better 2 bbl. But i dont want that 5 inch converter causing the carburetur to be higher than my wipers.with a giant hole in the hood
    Cody; the manifold will fit the engine either way (thermostat at either end) so that wouldn't be hard to accomplish.

I used copper pipe to make mine work and will try to dig up a picture of it.

EDIT:

That above is my first ever turbo build; by the way. The manifold was turned around so that the thermostat was not directly below the turbocharger.

They didn't make a 4 barrel manifold. However, they did make a TBI manifold. The TBI base is larger and it may have enough metal on the TBI mounting area to have it machined out for a small 4 barrel.

Just curious, what happened to the hood? Was that hole a result of firefighting efforts?

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

No that was cut. By me. I originally had a plan with a citation x-11 intake with the cowl rotated and custom fit th way for a hood scoop. A FUNCTIONAL hoodscoop. but right now. Especially for winter i am putting the oem on. Warmer air better in winter

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

An added plus today. I founa rebuilt carb at the junkyard. And a new egr valve on an 86 celebrity wagon. Carburated with 4 speed overdrive? Never saw one like that. Tempting to get the 4 speed overdrive. Are they made for power or just extra gear for mpg?

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Either way. New carb and egr. New gaskets. Oil change.. Man.the oil was badbad bad. She runs so much better. Choke sticks sometimes but its so muchbetter. Like it dont fully open right but its adjustable.

An added plus today. I founa rebuilt carb at the junkyard. And a new egr valve on an 86 celebrity wagon. Carburated with 4 speed overdrive? Never saw one like that. Tempting to get the 4 speed overdrive. Are they made for power or just extra gear for mpg?
    The 4-speed had a lower 1st gear and higher stall speed torque converter. It gave a lot more off-the-line acceleration. The addition of an extra gear made up for that at cruise, so it would still get the same or better mileage.

It may have been a transmission or an EFI to carb swap someone did. Not sure if they ever did a carb'd 4-speed or not. The first year of the 4-speed auto was 1985 and those tend to be less reliable and cost more to overhaul. The best transmission for a 4-speed swap will be the 88 and newer ones, because that was the last years when all the bugs had been worked out. Those routinely last 200+K miles.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Yeah it was an 86. Vacuum line off the carb to a part on the trans looked original. Different tho

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Like it had the 4 speed. Carb motor. Plus the shifter showed 1234. With the 0 around 4. Like the fuel injected ones. I believe it showed the carb motor emission sticker idk. If i go up again i will check it out better. See what it shows on the codes or something

Like it had the 4 speed. Carb motor. Plus the shifter showed 1234. With the 0 around 4. Like the fuel injected ones. I believe it showed the carb motor emission sticker idk. If i go up again i will check it out better. See what it shows on the codes or something
    I see, maybe they did that for a short time of production. GM is funny like that.

If I was you, I would get it if possible and it would be a definite upgrade to your car.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

I would rather go stick but a auto would just fit

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Just put new rubbers around the windows. Wow what a difference. That high speed hissing and whistling was annoying. I can actually hear myself think now. Replaced yet another fuel filter.. Good to go. Only $2 so no problem to me

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

I had a carbed 2.8 1986 Century wagon with the 440t4.
    Jay

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast