Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3.8L Timing Set Replacement Questions.

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Yeah, sounds like the PermaDryPlus would be the way to go. For about $20 more you have more peace of mind that you won't have to repeat the job.

Yes, the parma-dry gasket is very good. It will not extrude and leak and limits the tightness of the bolts.

I don't see any reason to pull the oilfilter base - but I would change the LO filter since you have the engine opened up and new oil.

Yes the business card, place around the trigger - put one piece of card on each side of the trigger ring, so the sensor is "held in the middle" by the card. Then tighten the bolts.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!
    David

Vehicle
    1988 Ciera Sl Coupe FE3 & 1988 Ciera International Coupe 1989 Celebrity 1989 Regal Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Yes, the parma-dry gasket is very good. It will not extrude and leak and limits the tightness of the bolts.

I don't see any reason to pull the oilfilter base - but I would change the LO filter since you have the engine opened up and new oil.
    Do you still use RTV with a perma-dry gasket?

Also, what is the LO filter?

Thanks,

D

Vehicle
    1988 Ciera Sl Coupe FE3 & 1988 Ciera International Coupe 1989 Celebrity 1989 Regal Coupe

Also, what would the better reassembly order be, pan then timing cover or timing cover then pan?

Thanks

Dan

The best way is to install the front cover; then trim its gasket (the little tab sticking out between the housing and block) so it is flush with the block. This gives the best chance of an undamaged oilpan gasket job. If you install the pan first; you have to manually press down on the front cover, compressing the oilpan gasket, to align the bolts for the cover.

Don't use sealant on the rubber perma-dry gasket. Just a tiny dab on the joint of the front cover and engine block where the 2 gaskets points meet. If there is sealant on a large area of the rubber gasket, it will tend to extrude the gasket.

Sorry; LO filter is lubricating oil filter. Tha's the engine's oil filter. I am used to working on marine engines with LO (lube oil) and FO (fuel oil / diesel fuel) systems.

Vehicle

Thanks again!
    Great advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12