Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Non-Member For Sale (Craigslist, eBay, etc)

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by CorvairGeek View Post
    I'll jump in to this too, my opinion is worth what you are paying for it! I have researched a lot on the subject, especially after removing the original intake gaskets on our '96 and realizing someone had to be smoking crack to think that a plastic carrier with a Weather Pac seal around the ports would ever be a good, reliable design. It is a crap design no matter what coolant it is used with. IF Dexcool is a plasticizer, it only makes a bad design worse.

There are revised/improved GM intake gasket designs for the 60 degree engines. The improved designs may be better or good for some engines, but the one or ones for our A-bodies were still no good (if even available anymore). The one that is supposed to be a real fix is a FelPro problem solver. It is a rubber coated metal carrier.

There is some evidence to suggest some GM designs are more prone to cooling system issues with Dexcool. The biggest one that comes to mind is the alleged heater core plugging issue with 4.3 V6 powered (S10) vehicles. This is an admitted issue from sand in the castings, so whether it is really aggravated by Dexcool may be questionable. The other factor suggested is the systems that have a pressurized surge tank are less prone to the gelling issue than our A-bodies and others.

With all that said, I used Dexcool in our '96 until it finally blew out the timing cover gasket. Always stayed clean but did have a low mileage failure of the water pump seal. I changed the coolant more often than 5 years / 100K miles too, and used only distilled water in the cooling system. It is easier and cheaper to get what seems to be the standard (now) Prestone extended life (green, all makes/models) coolant at Wallyworld. Drained the block too because I do think it is probably best to stick with a single chemical formulation. It is apparently very similar in formulation chemically (OAT technology, IIRC) to Dexcool.

I've often been suspicious that the real 'horror stories' of Dexcool on the internet have more behind them. The biggest factors being a simple lack of maintenance and what ever the kids at the quick lube places use to 'top up' the systems. It just seems like there is always some contributing factor with detailed Dexcool stories, IMHO. However, I do suspect that it may become chemically unstable easier than most if those contributing factors arise.
    Well put Jerry. It will be interesting when I pull the intake on the '95 3100 and examine the "weatherpack" seals aound the coolant ports. If the degradation isn't there, then we might be onto something. I guess what it boils down to is some honest to goodness chemical engineering. We'll see.

Just found out today researching the Iron Duke, that is has the fibre/plastic timing gear. :-(

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

I will add that besides a low mileage water pump seal failure on our '96 (we bought new), it needed an intake manifold gasket in '06, a heater core (solder joint failure), timing cover gasket (blew out externally at the coolant port on the firewall side of the engine), and cracked the radiator at all less than 140K miles. Car has never been overheated. If there is any advantage to Dexcool for someone that maintains a car, I haven't seen it. I wasn't aware of it being more aggressive with bearings (thanks David), so it only reinforces my decision to change.

In all fairness, besides the intake gasket design, I wouldn't consider any of the failures all that unusual, except for the timing cover gasket. You can only imagine my surprise when I found the sloppiest timing chain I had seen in years being the cover (120K IIRC, 2.5K mile oil change intervals), but that is another long story.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    cartruckcartruckcarcarcarcarcarcar

Thanks for the input! I have been told that several times over the years and have always wondered what the actual science of it was. Granted, most of my vehicles are pre-Dexcool though!
    So Many A's I have a 5.0 GPA!!
    • 1988 Century Limited
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport coupe
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport CL coupe (parts car)
    • 1985 Celebrity coupe
    • 1982 Celebrity CL coupe

Non contributing members: 15 Verano, 06 Silverado, 90 Lumina, 89 S-10, 81 Citation

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by CorvairGeek View Post
    I will add that besides a low mileage water pump seal failure on our '96 (we bought new), it needed an intake manifold gasket in '06, a heater core (solder joint failure), timing cover gasket (blew out externally at the coolant port on the firewall side of the engine), and cracked the radiator at all less than 140K miles. Car has never been overheated. If there is any advantage to Dexcool for someone that maintains a car, I haven't seen it. I wasn't aware of it being more aggressive with bearings (thanks David), so it only reinforces my decision to change.

In all fairness, besides the intake gasket design, I wouldn't consider any of the failures all that unusual, except for the timing cover gasket. You can only imagine my surprise when I found the sloppiest timing chain I had seen in years being the cover (120K IIRC, 2.5K mile oil change intervals), but that is another long story.
    I don't think we'll ever get a clear conclusion on this. My '96 still has the original heater core; the original water pump lasted 90k miles. No other issues, except the LIM of course.

Benefits? I don't see any either. But, is Dexcool the devil? Dexcool voodoo? I don't think so. There are a lot of things than keep me up at night, but Dexcool in the Buick isn't one of them. I've got a 2001 S-10 with 167,000 miles with Dexcool; no issues at all.

Having said that, I am not a Dexcool apologist. The ONLY reason Dexcool is in my '96 Century is because I am simply too busy and there's just enough benefit to going to the trouble to drain the block and do a purge with DI water and put something else in. I just don't think there's enough of a difference. I don't want either coolant in my crankcase in my bearings.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Buick Century 2dr 50k miles http://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/5408095995.html

This is a good find.. Last year for the carburetor as well.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

1988 Buick Century Wagon - 8 Passenger http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5381937180.html

1989 Chevy Celebrity 4 door station wagon - $1500 (Mentor)
    https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5434575431.html

Mint 89 Chevy Celebrity (original seat covers) - $1250 (Alliance)
    https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5410506322.html

Quote Originally Posted by gmwagon View Post
    1989 Chevy Celebrity 4 door station wagon - $1500 (Mentor)
    https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5434575431.html
    Do you by chance get up that way very often at all? It would be awesome to have someone besides my wife put eyes on it, haha. My timing is bad, I'm in Virginia working for a while.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    Several A-bodies and other stray vehicles

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/5473701865.html
    1990 AWD 6000 SE in Vancouver BC, found it totally by accident since i live out on the east coast.. $500!
    1986 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport -- RS Transformation in process
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera XC Special Edition -- saved from the scrap heap
    1989 Pontiac 6000 STE AWD - turbo someday
    1993 Buick Century - supercharged GS (not a real one) project
    1994 GMC Suburban SLE 2500 2wd
    1997 Saturn SW1 -- The daily driver
    1978 Pontiac Sunbird coupe -- Iron Duke powered!
    1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Vehicle
    none

This is the one I'm looking at right now. 1996 Ciera blue on blue. Needs hubcaps, door handles, and window motors. http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5492609706.html

Wowwwww...that is a great buy man I wish I was in the area.

Vehicle
    '93 Century 3.3L, 4T60

This is the one I'm looking at right now. 1996 Ciera blue on blue. Needs hubcaps, door handles, and window motors.

Occupant, I pasted the Craigslist ad below. The car looks good for the price. Have you inspected the car in person?

1996 olds - $800 (SOUTH)

1996 Oldsmobile
    fuel: gas
    title status: clean
    transmission: automatic

Engine and transmission are solid. Has minor issues that need address with door handles and two Windows.
    Joe

Two doors 1988 Chevy Celebrity!
    For sale - $800 (Zanesville)
    https://zanesville.craigslist.org/cto/5581619496.html

1987 Chevy celebrity - $600 (Delaware)
    https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5552112568.html

Would love to have the coupe..... Strange that it looks like an '86 header panel... Wonder what the engine and interior..... And to think I was just in ohio and could have offered a decent trade......

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast