Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 1990 Celebrity Project

Vehicle
    1990 Chevy Celebrity Wagon 3.1 MPFI

Default The 1990 Celebrity Project

Starting one of these to document progress on my '90 Celebrity 3.1 wagon.

Done so far:

-Exhaust - mid-pipe, walker soundfx muffler, tailpipe
    -Shocks/struts/alignment
    -Oil pump drive o-ring replaced
    -New radiator and hoses
    -New fuel injectors, plugs, wires

To do...

-Replace headliner, currently held up by pins
    -Fix up some rust starting on the door bottoms
    -Front brake job probably this fall
    -Went to the u-pull yesterday and came across an '88 Euro sedan. Snagged the full gauge cluster, front swaybar, steering wheel, front plate bracket (yea gotta have front tag in VA and don't feel like gettin hassled for it) and a set of the steel rally wheels off it...so all that'll be installed as time allows.

More to come....
    The Fleet:
    1990 Chevy Celebrity Wagon - Silver - Rust in Pieces
    1985 Chevy Caprice wagon - Cream, Project/cruiser
    2012 Chevy Sonic hatch - DD
    2012 Chevy Equinox - the new ride

Vehicle

Forgot about this post being here, a little update thus far - I have installed some of the JY parts I got off the Euro. Swaybar is on, Eurosport steering wheel is installed. Need to swap out the cluster (and temperature sender so the gauge will work). Don't have the extra funds around for tires for the Euro wheels yet, and not sure what to get for them. Any recommendations on a tire for them? I believe the ones that were on them when I got them were 195/75/14s which are made of unobtanium these days. For now to dress up the steelies I cleaned up the trim rings and put 'em on the steelies. Looks decent anyhow until funds allow me to clean up the Euro wheels and get tires for 'em.
    The Fleet:

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I'm currently running P205/70R14's on mine, which is very close. Gives just a little wider profile.

Ken T.

Nice little project! If your wagon has the heavy duty suspension option, it's already got the Eurosport springs to go along with that sway bar. Have plans for the fast ratio steering rack?

I think the 215/60/14 Radial T/A is back in production now (Coker Tire), although they are more expensive now because of it.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle

This one's an FE1 car, though putting the fatter swaybar woke the car up a decent bit in the handling department. I'm looking to at some point do the rest of the suspension. Wanted to get the springs off that Euro sedan (rears are the same for sedans and wagons, right?) but didn't have the time to get 'em and that car of course is long eaten by The Crusher. Quick ratio rack is something I thought of doing, though the existing one is doing just fine yet. Maybe when it breaks I'll put a quick ratio rack in. I'll look into those size tires, probably will run the steelies for now though till I have the funds to pick up a set or rubber for the Euro wheels. White-letter Radial T/As might look kinda cool on those, hmmmm...
    The Fleet:

Vehicle
    Multiple Alfa Romeos

How about these white letters instead? I'll be running these when I can afford to replace the BFG Radial T/As I've worn out.

http://simpletire.com/dean-p215-60r14-05306-tires
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Sedan and wagon rear springs should interchange, but early U-van rear springs are a much better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaloryan View Post
    How about these white letters instead? I'll be running these when I can afford to replace the BFG Radial T/As I've worn out.

http://simpletire.com/dean-p215-60r14-05306-tires
    I've had a set of those and they were great tires. Unfortunately they are recently out of production.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle

I'll have to be on the lookout for a set of u-van springs for the rear... funny how the day I went to the yard there was the Eurosport Celebrity, but not a single dustbuster U-van in sight. This being at a yard with over 3000 cars. I imagined there had to be at least 1 in there, as I was gonna nab a swaybar off one of those.

Too bad those Dean tires are out of production, those would've looked cool too. Talked to my dad yesterday, he's got a set of 205/70/14s on his '90 Euro wagon so I might go that size. Forgot to ask him specifically what tire they are but he did say they were some flavor of Firestones.

Not much to report on the wagon today, but it did survive the hurricane/bomb cyclone without any problems despite sitting outside the whole time.
    The Fleet:

Glad to see a Celeb getting restored and improved!

Vehicle
    2003 Taurus

Great list so far, SB. Always nice to see someone restore and improve an older car, rather than toss it in the scrapyard and replace it with some foreign plastic.

I'd rather drive a cobbled together rustbucket Ford than a brand new Chrysler anyday.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by RIPBARNBURNER View Post
    Great list so far, SB. Always nice to see someone restore and improve an older car, rather than toss it in the scrapyard and replace it with some foreign plastic.
    Indeed... Had to put some work into it initially, but it's proven to be a rock solid car that I'd drive anywhere. I've already taken it on a couple 500 mile trips up to PA and a 1500 mile trip to Chicago and back. When talking to the lady I bought it off of after finishing the sale she was glad it was going to me and not one of the others who was interested in it - she didn't want to see it become junkyard fodder in 6 months when the (careless) new owner didn't take care of it.

One of these days I'll get some better pictures of the car, but for now here's one of it back in August when I stopped at my parents' house on the way back on the Chicago trip, sitting with my dad's '90 Eurosport.

The Fleet:

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Man those pics reminded me of an '89 Cavi Wagon that I drove for a company. Loved that wagon, and really liked those first gen J-cars. Especially the Chevy.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    '87 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon

That's a really nice wagon! And rare too, glad that you are keeping it in good condition! The lady made the right choice in selling you that car. Alot of people simply just don't take care of their cars and end up junking them soonafter. Shows what a throwaway society we have.

Vehicle

Sure is rare to find one in as good of shape as this one, being garage kept the first 17 years of its life definitely preserved it well. It won't be garage kept 100% of the time in my ownership but I have kept it pretty clean/washed up. Hardly any rust on the underbody...made the work I had to do on the exhaust and shocks/struts much easier. My dad's '90 Eurosport seen above is in a bit rougher shape (and has more than twice the miles!), but surprisingly has held up well to the NW Ohio winters that it's been through most of its life.
    The Fleet:

Seeing that pic reminded me of a few things. Being a '90, you have a lot of the Eurosport trim already. Door handles, tail lights, license plate pocket, wheel arch moldings, and rocker trim. There was a few other things that were '90-only also. What steering wheel does yours have?
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast