Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The 1990 Celebrity Project

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet1990 View Post
    So far so good, ran fine this morning. Today's project on the wagon will be to install the stereo. Should be much improvement over constant loud crackling on the right channel.
    Usually that right channel crackling is caused by a $0.50 capacitor that's pretty easy to replace. There's a thread on here about that.

Vehicle
    1990 Chevy Celebrity Wagon 3.1 MPFI

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Usually that right channel crackling is caused by a $0.50 capacitor that's pretty easy to replace. There's a thread on here about that.
    I replaced those caps on the amp board shortly after I got the car, it corrected the problem up until about 6 months ago. I cracked it back open and double-checked my soldering job and everything seemed good. I suspect that there's something gone wrong with the right channel amp IC... and I did even try touching up its solder joints to no avail. I put the new Pioneer stereo in today, system does sound a lot better after getting the audio settings dialed in, and having the connectivity options it has (CD, aux input, iPod/iPhone, Bluetooth, etc) brings the car to the 21st century. I'll certainly keep the factory stereo around and perhaps give another go at fixing it though.
    The Fleet:
    1990 Chevy Celebrity Wagon - Silver - Rust in Pieces
    1985 Chevy Caprice wagon - Cream, Project/cruiser
    2012 Chevy Sonic hatch - DD
    2012 Chevy Equinox - the new ride

Vehicle

Not much to report with the wagon, besides fixing its oil leak by replacing the oil pressure sender during the last oil change. Since then it hasn't leaked or used a drop of oil. Other than that, it's been getting a bit of rest from being a full daily driver now that the red Lumina is back on the road, but it certainly hasn't been sitting idle. I tore into remodeling my family room back in May, and while progress has been slow as I'm doing the job myself in between work and other committments, the wagon's earned its keep hauling plenty of building materials for the job. I'm almost done with the remodel - down to installing trim/baseboards and doing a final clean-up. Once I get the garage cleared out enough of various tools, lumber, etc that's piled up, I'll finally be able to get a car in the garage again, and will first clean the wagon's interior out from all of its 'truck' uses it's seen this summer.
    The Fleet:

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Not much to report with the wagon, besides fixing its oil leak by replacing the oil pressure sender during the last oil change. Since then it hasn't leaked or used a drop of oil. Other than that, it's been getting a bit of rest from being a full daily driver now that the red Lumina is back on the road, but it certainly hasn't been sitting idle. I tore into remodeling my family room back in May, and while progress has been slow as I'm doing the job myself in between work and other committments, the wagon's earned its keep hauling plenty of building materials for the job. I'm almost done with the remodel - down to installing trim/baseboards and doing a final clean-up. Once I get the garage cleared out enough of various tools, lumber, etc that's piled up, I'll finally be able to get a car in the garage again, and will first clean the wagon's interior out from all of its 'truck' uses it's seen this summer.
    That's the nice thing about these cars/wagons, they just work and never complain! They'll hold up until you have the time to give them the attention they need.

Ken T.

Vehicle

Long time, no updates, just been driving it and keeping the oil changed, tires aired up, and a wash earlier this spring. Been busy with more home remodel projects and keeping the other cars going. Used the car for plenty of materials runs, lumber, tile, drywall (yes you can slide a couple 4x8 sheets in the back with the seats down and back window open, though not too too many with how the rear opening is shaped). Needed front brakes again, so did new pads and rotors last weekend. Been having a grabby right rear, so while I had it apart for the front brake job I jacked the rear up and pulled the drums. Sure enough, another leaky wheel cylinder on the right side. Plenty of meat left on the shoes but they're contaminated with brake fluid. Ordered new wheel cylinders and a set of shoes/hardware and will get those done this weekend. Also the muffler is starting to rot out, so looking at options to replace it.
    Last edited by SilverBullet1990; 06-04-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Sounds like it's just been working hard. My '95 had to keep chugging until I was ready to take it down.

Probably the first time for wheel cylinders, right?

Ken T.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Sounds like it's just been working hard. My '95 had to keep chugging until I was ready to take it down.

Probably the first time for wheel cylinders, right?

Ken T.

Yep it just keeps soldiering on and on with nary a complaint. Decided for exhaust to do a little custom setup for the muffler/tailpipe...will detail that once I get it all installed.

I did wheel cylinders on it 3 years ago - had the same problem with grabby rear brakes that was due to one leaking. I forget what brand I bought at the time, but am a bit disappointed I only got that little life out of it before it became a problem again. Too bad, since the shoes have plenty of meat left on them, but there's virtually no way to completely get the fluid contamination out of them. I have a pair of ACDelco wheel cylinders and set of shoes/hardware sitting on the workbench ready to go on now... so hopefully they hold up a bit longer.
    The Fleet:

Vehicle

Yep it just keeps soldiering on and on with nary a complaint. Decided for exhaust to do a little custom setup for the muffler/tailpipe...will detail that once I get it all installed.

I did wheel cylinders on it 3 years ago - had the same problem with grabby rear brakes that was due to one leaking. I forget what brand I bought at the time, but am a bit disappointed I only got that little life out of it before it became a problem again. Too bad, since the shoes have plenty of meat left on them, but there's virtually no way to completely get the fluid contamination out of them. I have a pair of ACDelco wheel cylinders and set of shoes/hardware sitting on the workbench ready to go on now... so hopefully they hold up a bit longer.
    Wow, just 3 years on the wheel cylinders. I'm glad I asked, but it's scary to know that they don't last very long. When I was very young, I a can remember my father rebuilding wheel cylinders with a kit. That seems the quality way to go, but where would you find a kit these days?

Ken T.

Vehicle

Wow, just 3 years on the wheel cylinders. I'm glad I asked, but it's scary to know that they don't last very long. When I was very young, I a can remember my father rebuilding wheel cylinders with a kit. That seems the quality way to go, but where would you find a kit these days?

Ken T.
    I see RockAuto has some rebuild kits for them for our cars, but with all the other projects on the docket and the time it'd take to rebuild them, I decided to just order a new set. I'll hang on to the old ones in case I do decide to ultimately rebuild them.

Vehicle

I see RockAuto has some rebuild kits for them for our cars, but with all the other projects on the docket and the time it'd take to rebuild them, I decided to just order a new set. I'll hang on to the old ones in case I do decide to ultimately rebuild them.
    I've never done wheel cylinders, but when I was 18 or 19, I rebuilt some calipers with great success. As I recall, it didn't take too long, but then again in those days, I was in school working part time. Things weren't mission critical in those days.

Ken T.

Vehicle

Had to tear back into the Celebrity this weekend... failed inspection per the list with bad ball joints and frayed front brake hoses. Turns out after I tore into it and looked closer, the excessive play when giving the balljoints the pry bar test was worn out control arm bushings. That may explain some of the vibration I've been getting with the car at speed the past few months - tire rotation didn't change it when I had it apart last month. So, I've pulled the arms - I was surprised the arm to cradle bolts came out as easy as they did - I expected them to be seized to the inner sleeves of the bushings. Got the old bushings out of the arms, the control arms cleaned up/painted, and am now waiting for new bushings to show up by Tuesday before I can get it put back together. Did the front brake hoses as well and they're all good to go except for a quick bleed of the brake system. Should be fine to go for another year after completing the above work.
    The Fleet:

Vehicle

It's good to hear the control arms come away so easily. Do you see much road salt up there?

Ken T.

Vehicle

It's good to hear the control arms come away so easily. Do you see much road salt up there?

Ken T.
    I was very surprised too that the bolts came out as easy as they did. It probably helps that they are tucked inside the cradle which protects them some. It did make it a little tough to get them broke loose - especially the rear bolt. Took a little bit of time to turn them out, as each turn of the ratchet gave me only 2-3 clicks.

As for salt, we do get it here in the DC area, though not near as much as points further north. This past winter, aside from our big blizzard, we didn't have too many other events that salt was put down for.
    The Fleet:

Vehicle

I was very surprised too that the bolts came out as easy as they did. It probably helps that they are tucked inside the cradle which protects them some. It did make it a little tough to get them broke loose - especially the rear bolt. Took a little bit of time to turn them out, as each turn of the ratchet gave me only 2-3 clicks.

As for salt, we do get it here in the DC area, though not near as much as points further north. This past winter, aside from our big blizzard, we didn't have too many other events that salt was put down for.
    I've always had good experiences when I've taken mine in for wheel alignment. One bad ball joint is all I've had to deal with. Though not adjustable, the caster has always been spot on.

Ken T.

Vehicle

Car is back together as of this afternoon... had to get the wife's car ready for a weekend trip for her so I didn't get it re-inspected yet. Planning on that tomorrow. The new control arm bushings sure did make a difference though in the amount of free play in the front end. Maybe my highway-speed vibration will be corrected as well.... though I'll need to get it aligned as I'm sure things are off a bit in the front end compared to when it had older worn bushings.

About a month ago when I did the brakes, I also did some exhaust work on the wagon. I had been running a Walker SoundFX with the stock tailpipe. Muffler was rusted out and needed replaced. So I did a little bit of looking around and wound up picking up a Thrush welded muffler and a Flowtech dual outlet tip for it. Got some straight 2.25" tubing and a 90deg bend and ran the tailpipe straight out the back. It's a bit louder now, and I had concerns it was going to be too raspy, but I think with the added length of tailpipe beyond the muffler actually helped give it a pretty deep throaty tone. The drone of it going down the highway isn't too major either.

Last edited by SilverBullet1990; 07-16-2016 at 04:16 AM.
    The Fleet:

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast