Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rock & Roll - 1984 Oldsmobile Ciera Convertible - Engine Build and Car Restoration!

Thankfully for me; I tolerate the heat very well and don't mind going yarding during summer! I've been out there when the only others on the yard were some well-acclimated Mexican guys. Came home with a good junkyard suntan that day!

Speaking of that; I went back to Pull-A-Part today. Got the oilfilter base off the distributor-equipped 3.8 engine (I had a heck of a time finding one for my convertible build) as well as a few other odds and ends from other cars.

Took a couple pictures of the 3.8 engine. It's the pre-LG3 (not sure the code) with flat-tappet cam, non-sequential fuel system, and distributor (not DIS) ignition.

Even though it was just 2 days ago when I went last time; there were new cars on the lot. This Ciera was new. Apparently it had some sort of aftermarket radio in it. No matter how cheap and worthless an aftermarket radio is; a certain class of people will go into a frenzy like hogs feeding when they see any aftermarket radio. They destroyed virtually every part of this car's interior taking out the radio. I am sure it was a completely clapped out, cheap Wal-Mart radio and made in China cheapo speakers. The interior didn't appear to have been in too bad condition before this happened.

Looks like they used only one tool - a prybar - to remove the radio. Not a single screw had been removed. All of them were still in place in broken plastic parts.

I did manage to save the full-gauges cluster, though.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

I am guilty of this at times as well, but most of the time, the mentality at a junkyard is "fuck the next guy". Just do what you need to do to get your part. Who cares if something the next person may want is broken in the process? Not my problem. I try to disassemble things properly, even if it's just so I know how it comes apart, making it easier for me to do the job on my car... But sometimes frustration sets in, and out comes the hammer.

Also, this is the reason I would remove any aftermarket stereo I install in my own cars.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 214k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

Vehicle
    74 Nova, 77 Nova, 88 Cutlass Ciera

Nice JY scores there David!!

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    The dead of winter is the best time to go yarding in Houston!
    Several years ago a friend and I went out yarding in the middle of January here in Maine. He was on a mission to find some parts for a truck he was restoring so we went prepared with heavy insulated coveralls and shovels since the vehicles were buried in snow. Most of the yard owners probably thought we were nuts for wanting to go look for parts that time of year! We visited several yards and he never did find everything he was looking for. Although I did score a nearly mint grille for Dad's 77 GMC for only $15.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I remember David and I went to LKQ one...I think it was New Years Day and got HALF off on all purchases. It was a good day!

Ken T.

I remember David and I went to LKQ one...I think it was New Years Day and got HALF off on all purchases. It was a good day!

Ken T.
    Yes! And in Houston it wasn't even cold out LOL!

But, alas, with LKQ's ridiculous prices - their half-price sale about equals Pull-A-Part or Pick-N-Pull "normal" pricing.....

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Yes! And in Houston it wasn't even cold out LOL!

But, alas, with LKQ's ridiculous prices - their half-price sale about equals Pull-A-Part or Pick-N-Pull "normal" pricing.....
    That was FUN! I believe you scored a set of turbine wheels on that run. Never seen any since! Anytime you are in Houston, let me know we can search those other yards!

Ken T.

That was FUN! I believe you scored a set of turbine wheels on that run. Never seen any since! Anytime you are in Houston, let me know we can search those other yards!

Ken T.
    Will definitely do that. As you know my work brings me around from time to time!

Project update!

Got an update on the car's functionality! As some of you may realize, the engine in Rock & Roll is built up of a 1986 block / crank; 1979 intake and turbo; 1990 TBI injector; 1992 ECM; and aftermarket camshaft. There was a concern that this may not run exactly right without some adjustments.

I've been making those adjustments and it has been easier than I expected! The engine has run very drama free.

Another concern was that the modified oilpump (with extended housing and longer gears) may have problems. This was a concern on the Turbo Buicks forum where several people have installed this in RWD cars and ended up with a ruined timing housing. Thankfully, after carefully following the instructions (including taking the timing cover off the engine to do the modification on the bench), the oilpump seems to perform about the same as the LG3 / 3800 crank-driven gerotor pump.

So - here's a video!

Also - I have built up and installed a factory EQ radio. New capacitors on the amp section, aux input, and then a set of new speakers. For the rear, I used Rockford Fosgate R169X2 6 by 9's. The fronts are Kicker 40CS354 which were hard to get due to the low demand for the 3.5 inch size. It was worth the wait and the money because the radio sounds amazing! I was concerned about the rear speakers mounting. It seemed they might be muffled by the convertible top storage area - but they seem to do just fine. One very important point about the speakers. These radios are designed for 4Ω speakers. The amplifier will produce 80 watts (100 for some of the Cadillac radios). This depends on the speakers being 4Ω impedance. If you use "universal" speakers (which are actually 6 or 8Ω) or 8Ω speakers, the amplifier's power will be dramatically reduced.

In other news, I have had to replace TWO evaporator cores this week. This car never held Freon and the problem was a corroded core. I missed that while I had the core out for cleaning. There had been rodent nest in the evaporator housing, and apparently there had been rodent urine corrosion on the core. The wall is very thin and that caused localized pitting that leaked. I had a spare core out of my parts car and installed that.

Then, Diesel Danielle popped an evaporator core. The diesel car's evaporator core is a horrible PITA job to change. They put all the extra insulation around it and that makes for a mess. You can't get to the fasteners without taking half the car apart (it seems) and the diesel engine is massive and there is no room behind it. That was a whole day job. The old core was a little corroded, and the leak was out in the center of the core, in the fins. I have a feeling that salt and dust from northern winters got to this one. Thankfully, our local Liberty salvage yard had a car with one. It was almost correct, and I had to change the inlet tube to the one from the diesel.

Looking Good David! How many projects are you working on at this time? I haven't forgotten about our discussion, but you might have due to all the demands on your time.
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Drop Top Olds View Post
    Looking Good David! How many projects are you working on at this time? I haven't forgotten about our discussion, but you might have due to all the demands on your time.
    Thanks!

Counting work projects and hobby projects - at least 5 at once.

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    took a couple pictures of the 3.8 engine. It's the pre-lg3 (not sure the code) with flat-tappet cam, non-sequential fuel system, and distributor (not dis) ignition.
    ln3
    Jay

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456