Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Assorted ramblings and bolt-ons with Daniel and George

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

I think about it this was small bandaid on your car vs a huge dent and broken tail Houseing etc .:: overall more damage to there car then yours my friend . I'm so glad you got to go there and happy your saw Freiburger . Glad you had a great experience as well as completing a great project you started to finish .

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    So I instead get to seethe with impotent rage at some random dickhead who can't be bothered to even leave a note saying "sorry I hit your car" or even "why the fuck was your car parked in my way".
    Been there. At least you have one person to console you. I got nailed at the laundramat years ago when I was plumbing the house (no water). Someone backed into mine, and took out the corner. I didn't bother with the insurance either.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 186k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 112k miles. Will be the wife's car soon.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for... some fun!

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Appreciate the video, still love your wheels. I see you gave up on the Century only, gas hood strut too.
    Last edited by CorvairGeek; 02-12-2017 at 04:49 PM. Reason: So I make sense!
    Jerry

Vehicle

I did too corvair I replaced 5 in 10 years gave up on it broom handle stick for a while then Ciera good prop . Only thing the 94-96 hoods for the Buick are heavier than the olds Ciera .

Vehicle

16" Grand Am SE wheels with Nexen 225-45 tires. I bought them for occasional racing purposes, since the shorter tire changes my effective final drive from 2.97 to 3.16. Hopefully that will let me pick up a tenth or two on the strip.

I may go back to the yard and grab the other two and put on some tall tires for the rear, like 225-60, give the car some old school rake.

Vehicle

Looks good Daniel !!

Vehicle

Minor update.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but my yellow '92 sedan had some interesting kludges when I bought it. One of them was a toggle switch that powered the fuel pump. Since it was literally lamp cord going straight to the battery, it needed to go. I found out that the reason that switch was there was that the relay and fuse had gone out. Why someone would go to the effort of hot-wiring the pump instead of replacing a $10 relay that took less than five minutes, I'll never know. The problem lie in the fact that they directly wired the fuel pump to the battery and switch, inside the tank. This pinched the o-ring that seals the top of the tank where the sender goes, and allowed all manner of outside air and water to get in and rust the inside. As a consequence, it clogs filters every few weeks and has eaten three pumps.

I bought a new tank and sender from Rock Auto and slammed it in today. I didn't take pictures, because I'm sure most of you know what it's like to pull and replace a fuel tank. Hopefully that's the end of that issue. It damn well better be.

Also, since I didn't want to soak myself in coolant, I hired a mobile mechanic to replace the water pump. The gasket had been leaking for a while, and with another Las Vegas summer approaching, keeping the engine cool is a priority. $211 was totally worth not having to do it myself.

Speaking of keeping things cool, I got a hold of this:

All-aluminum radiator to replace the plastic one. It seems to be put together pretty well. Only cost $100.

I will be installing it tomorrow most likely. I will take a few pictures of that though. I have a 2500 mile road trip planned for spring break, so making sure I don't end up on the back of a truck in Bumfuck, NM, is kind of important.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Daniel,

That is one super awesome radiator. That should keep things really cool!

Ken T.

Vehicle

Lightness + shorter front tires = over 1/2 second improvement in ET. No mechanical changes. Before and after.

Also, on today's edition of "Inappropriate Burnouts"...

Vehicle

I took the wagon on a 3000 mile road trip last month, and it performed admirably. No issues, averaged 27 miles per gallon, with a couple tanks hitting 29. The trip itself was unremarkable. We went to visit my wife's grandparents in Russell, KS. Coming from Las Vegas, I am unused to things closing at 9 pm, as I found out when I went to get a nip of booze for the wife at 9:30.

There was an enormous rain storm that I had to drive through without my wipers, since the passenger side wiper blade decided to fuck off the arm. That was fun, and not at all harrowing.

Not much else to report. I will probably spend some quality time with the yellow sedan in the near future. It has quite a bit of deferred maintenance that needs to be addressed. Oil change, transmission service, engine and transmission mounts. I'll make sure I take pictures of the mess that is the mounts.

OH! And I applied a new badge to the wagon. If you're a member of the A-body Facebook group, you've seen this, but this is probably one of the very few cosmetic modifications I will do to this car: Buick tri-shield and Century name badge on the tailgate. This generation of Century has name badges on the quarter panels, but they fell off long ago. That, and my "RUNNING IN THE 90'S" and Roadkill bumper stickers.

And today's edition of "What made you think that was a good idea?", fridge on the roof.

Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 186k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 112k miles. Will be the wife's car soon.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for... some fun!

Vehicle

The silence around here these days is deafening...

As I said, I spent a little quality time with the yellow sedan on Sunday.

Parts and tools!

Only the best petroleum products for MY shitbox. Also shown is a Dorman transmission pan with a drain plug.

This air filter was pretty gross. (Yes, also orange.)

My supervisor. His name is Boxer. He is seven years old. He is A Good Dog.

Really dislike the remote filter location on the 3.3 cars. Guaranteed to make a mess.

Waterfall. Oilfall?

My new best friend. Nineteen bolts by hand sucks majorly.

Transmission fluid probably shouldn't be orange, right?

The magnet was pretty grody too.

I am fairly confident the transmission had never been serviced on this car. Evidence: cork gasket (aftermarket is rubber), numbers written in marker on the filter body, filter stamped MADE IN U.S.A. It shifted pretty well afterward.

I had intended to also slap some brake pads on the front, but a rounded lug nut prevented that. I will be returning to the shop that last put tires on to have them address that. I don't round my lug nuts.

Next weekend: mounts. Kill me.

Vehicle

That bugs me with lug nuts I would just drive a socket knto it but since the shop did make them pay my friend . I never seen orange tranny fluid , black ,red ,and chunky slime yes . The rear isnt that terrible more time consuming and some swearing . Kinda like pulling the motor /tranny should be less time than that my friend lol .

Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    The silence around here these days is deafening...

As I said, I spent a little quality time with the yellow sedan on Sunday....
    Daniel, yes it has been very slow here. I am afraid this is partially due to the Facebook groups taking interest away. I really think the forum is a better way to keep track of the content and be able to search it and refer back to it. Also 'we' own it and Facebook can't just decide what to keep and how long to keep it. Anyway rant over.

I do have a project coming up where I will exchange a hot-end trans cooler radiator for a cool-end one. Life has been very crazy, with several work trips and lots of things to do at home other than car projects. Add to it, this time when I came home, AT&T has reconfigured the network in my area, and there is 4G coverage but not 3G. My laptop has 3G Internet so I am screwed now at home. Only Internet is when I drive into town. I ordered a new internal WWAN module that supports 4G but it is a week out.

As for your car; the orange trans oil doesn't look too bad. I think that orange color is just due to breakdown of the red dye with time an heat; and possibly the oil has absorbed a little moisture over time, adding a slight cloudiness to it.

You'll be happy with the drain plug equipped pan! That is a mandatory modification on my cars so that trans oil service is less messy.

I would really be ready to strangle a tire shop who rounded a lug nut on my car. That is a hanging offence. Hold them fully accountable!

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Daniel, yes it has been very slow here. I am afraid this is partially due to the Facebook groups taking interest away. I really think the forum is a better way to keep track of the content and be able to search it and refer back to it. Also 'we' own it and Facebook can't just decide what to keep and how long to keep it. Anyway rant over.
    I've noticed that too. I am the antithesis of social media, so too bad for old grouches like me

I'll have to take a picture of the nifty little modified can that the P.O. of our 3300 made to contain the oil filter mess on the engine cradle. He is an ingenious old fella! Works amazingly well, as long as I don't use the long filter.
    Jerry

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast