Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Assorted ramblings and bolt-ons with Daniel and George

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Looking good Daniel! That thing is going to fly once you have it together!

Looking at the pic, I noticed the EGR. Are you going to run EGR? Does it or can it use the same valve as the L82?

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

This engine has to stay emissions legal, so yes, I am using EGR. I am using a vertical-mount EGR valve from an LA1, which uses the same connector as my stock one. The stock valve mounts differently (horizontal), and is not compatible with the LG8/LA1/LX9 upper intakes.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    As far as the cruise control that's going to be the biggest pain since no other gm used the same cruise control module . Maybe the same connectors and wires but the linkage is different . I'm curious if the same year as your car Chevy throttle cable but different brand of car that it the actual internal linkage can be swapped around and over to the buicks cruise control . 97 lumina ,Monte Carlo, century , grand am Grand Prix . I never opened up the buicks cruise control module to see how it connects inside . Some have different styles to connect to the base of the cruise control module . This will be the task my friend . But I'm glad your getting her closer together . Keep us posted thanks Keith . If I find out something I will message you
    Turns out you were correct, Keith. After spending quite a bit of time wandering at the yard, I found that the A-body is the only car to use this square connector for the cruise cable. Everything else, from Ns and Ws with Chevy engines, to Cs and Hs with Buick engines, to four cylinders, uses the round connector. Also, the wiring appears to be different. They all use the same ten-pin connector, but the A-body module only uses nine wires, while all the others use all ten. So my alternate plan of just using another cruise module probably won't work either. Back to square one, I suppose. At least this way I know for sure though, and it only cost me the one dollar admission.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Here is a thought Daniel , the actual connector to the cruise control module it self has the same wire lead and connectors . Were they able to plug and play ? Like take a 97 lumina with the connector into the module and see if the century has the same color wires . I haven't had a chance to look into the wiring for the 97 monte cruise control yet . Granted they do use the same color wire code but I'm wondering if the extra wire is for the od2 See I think the 9-10 connector difference is the abs module and the brake light switch also the cruise control arm in the column or the obd2 computer to scan problems . I can't remember off the top of my head that the a-body used a 3 wire or 4 wire from the cruise control switch . See I trying to look at mine an a brake cable from a bicycle possible to cut the shielding back of the wire and make your own cable adapter . It might be able to still work without the extra wire and different connector and still function the same as well as hook up . Let me try and look it up been busy sir

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Has the a-body always used the square connector? It's been too long, but I think my earlier GMs had it. Perhaps it's a holdover from the earlier designs from when the a-body was introduced?

Ken T.

Vehicle

Ken, prior to about '93 or so, just about all GM cars had vacuum-operated cruise. I don't know about Cadillacs. I will check next time I go to the yard.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    Ken, prior to about '93 or so, just about all GM cars had vacuum-operated cruise. I don't know about Cadillacs. I will check next time I go to the yard.
    I was thinking about the throttle; I wanna say I've seen them square on older GMs. I'm betting the A-car is just a holdover.

Ken T.

Vehicle

More random notes:

—The bolts that hold the fuel rail in place are M6 x 1.0 x 10mm. They are too short when using the rail brackets Milzy sends with the L67 injectors, because of the different shape of the nozzle end of the injectors. They don't fit completely in the bores in the lower intake. I bought slightly longer bolts (16mm) and M6 washers and slowly cinched them down to make sure I didn't crack the injector bodies. I don't foresee any problems with leaks though. I'll keep everyone posted.
    —Upper intake manifold bolts get Loctite 37418 thread sealer and torqued down to 18 ft-lbs, middle ones first. Or, since my Harbor Freight 3/8 torque wrench reads in in-lbs, 216.

I received the compressor bypass pulley and spark plug wires in the mail last week, but the monsoon is setting in in Vegas, so it's damn miserable to work in my uninsulated, unventilated garage. Plus I can't find my alternator or belt, so I'm gonna have to buy a new belt and rummage through my pile of shit to find the alternator. I did find my old busted alternators though, one for the Chevy engine and one for the Buick engine, so there's that.

Vehicle

Daniel,

Just curious. Why does Milzy recommend the L67 injectors over the stock LX9 injector? Is it the rail? ..or do you just need more fuel later for a turbo project?

Thanks,
    Ken T.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Daniel,

Just curious. Why does Milzy recommend the L67 injectors over the stock LX9 injector? Is it the rail? ..or do you just need more fuel later for a turbo project?

Thanks,
    Ken T.
    The LX9 rail is incompatible because it's returnless. I would have to adapt the Malibu's returnless fuel system, which also uses a regulator in the tank right on top of the pump. The L82 injectors are rated for 19 lbs of flow, which is barely sufficient for the LX9. Both Milzy and 60degreev6 agree that the stock injectors won't last long at 90+% duty all the time. It would run, but for how long? I tried to order some 24 lb injectors from ACCEL which are the same design as the stock L82s, but kept being thwarted by a back order. So I bought his, which ended up being cheaper anyway (by about $60!). The L67s provide more than enough flow for now (36 lbs), and allow headroom for any future modifications. Not only that, but the LX9 injectors have a different harness connector, so even if I didn't need to go returnless, I would have to splice the connectors into my harness, and that's a lot farther than I'm willing to go at this point.

As for turbocharging, I do not have any plans for that. I know, what a letdown. The only future plan I have is possibly a crate engine from Milzy, but that's probably a couple years off, considering the cost (a hair over $4k how I want it, but I probably wouldn't even be able to build it myself for that price!). A mild N/A build running somewhere near 200 hp at the wheels and still getting decent fuel economy is my goal, but I can't really trust this literal 116k mile junkyard engine I currently have to be able to sustain that for long.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

If compression is good Daniel and no leaks she should be strong for a while that motor loves synthetic any brand . I heard noisy lx9 and quiet ones all by choice of oil and maintained right . Make sure you flush out the coolant from the old traces inside it . One guy I know has 200k miles on his Malibu with that engine and runs amazing He uses Mobil one on his . The're tough little engines

Vehicle

It's beginning to cool down a bit early in the mornings here in Las Vegas, so I should be able to finish this up soon. It's really about 90% done at this point. I got the TPS connector spliced yesterday, as well as torqued the upper intake down. I need to bolt on the alternator, buy a shorter bolt for the external crank trigger bracket, torque the crank pulley on (118 ft-lbs), put on spark plug wires, radiator back in, trans cooler lines hooked up, coolant overflow, strut tower ties, belt, fill with fluids, and replace driver's side axle. Not much left, really.

Vehicle

It's beginning to cool down a bit early in the mornings here in Las Vegas, so I should be able to finish this up soon. It's really about 90% done at this point. I got the TPS connector spliced yesterday, as well as torqued the upper intake down. I need to bolt on the alternator, buy a shorter bolt for the external crank trigger bracket, torque the crank pulley on (118 ft-lbs), put on spark plug wires, radiator back in, trans cooler lines hooked up, coolant overflow, strut tower ties, belt, fill with fluids, and replace driver's side axle. Not much left, really.
    Daniel,

Does your LX9 use the alternator with two mounting ears like the L82, or a single mounting boss like the old MPFI motor?

Thanks,
    Ken T.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Daniel,

Does your LX9 use the alternator with two mounting ears like the L82, or a single mounting boss like the old MPFI motor?

Thanks,
    Ken T.
    My engine did not come with any accessories other than the water pump, so I'm reusing the stock ones. The alternator and power steering pump mount in the stock locations without issues. So whatever the L82 came with, I guess is the answer to your question.

Vehicle

My engine did not come with any accessories other than the water pump, so I'm reusing the stock ones. The alternator and power steering pump mount in the stock locations without issues. So whatever the L82 came with, I guess is the answer to your question.
    Thanks Daniel. Part of my alternator research. The LX9 came with the AD230. Need to figure out if the AD230 swaps with the earlier alternators. If so, I may be looking out for a LX9 alternator bracket! The MPFI bracket can work, but it has to be modified a bit and the engine hoist eyelet won't fit.

Ken T.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast