Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess Who?

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Default Guess Who?

Yup, it's me... I have returned. So much has happened since I've been away. The most interesting being that I almost died (literally) after getting C Diff (if you don't know what it is, don't be surprised... but it's some seriously scary stuff). Six months out of work, four hospital stays, and a relapse later and I'm doing good. Can never have broad spectrum antibiotics again, and can't have any antibiotics ever again without serious chances of a relapse... but I'm alive with no real deficits besides mental scars and a nasty scar on my elbow/arm from where I fell into the rocks in front of the house. Anyway... that's a very long and strange story.

My daily driver is now a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 4.7l v8. 4x4 with the towing package... I really love my truck... and the fact that my true favorite can now be a garage queen. Which brings me to my main point for this post. After being so sick Luke and I have decided life is too freggin short not to have fun. So this summer we're going through with the 3800 supercharged engine/trans swap in my Ciera. Today we went to Pick n Pull and got the supercharger, pcm, wiring harness, some of the exhaust manifolds, lower intake, supercharger belt tensioner... and various other odds and ends. That'll be a project thread for a later date since we still have to create the master list of parts and plan this all out. We're going with a 'new' long block and transmission, because I don't have space for a donor car and I want it fresh. We're just starting the mass pileup of parts so this'll be interesting. I lost a whole summer so I'm looking to get some serious work done this year.

Which brings me to my next point... since we'll be doing the swap this summer I'll no longer have a need for my current engine/trans (for those who don't remember it's a 3100 with a 3400 top swap). I'm putting feelers out now in case anyone would be interested in buying the combo. Haven't thought about pricing or anything, but it still runs like a beast and has always been religiously maintained.

That's all for now... I'll be checking in from time to time now that I'm back in action.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Just A thought how much for the engine no rush on the price just curious and where are you guys located .

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Oh wow I'm so sorry I know what that is I am . I have had my share of scare stuff cancer chemo surgeries big hugs to you silent wing :-(. I hope all is ok with u and prey for u .

Vehicle
    1992 Acura NSX

Glad your health is back, that's scary about your recent medical issues. Welcome back.
    1986 Celebrity Classic 2.8 (First car - sold)
    2013 Acura ILX
    1994 Acura Legend (x 2)
    1992 Acura NSX
    drivetofive.wordpress.com

Vehicle

Thanks guys

Keith, I'm really not sure on the price as of yet. I'll have to talk with Luke a bit. I'm in the western suburbs near Chicago. If you're interested we'll talk more especially as time comes closer. Prayers are definitely appreciated always and I'm glad you're ok too. In the end I like to think I've come out stronger. Plus the support of my coworkers was pretty amazing.

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Glad you are still with us.

Can't wait to see what you do with the Toronado.
    Jay

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

This will be fun! Welcome back!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

Sorry to hear about all the health problems, but luckily you made it through and you are better now.

Nice to see you back on the forum
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Vehicle

Hey guys,Its luke here. we just wanted to say thanks for the good wishes. As far as the toro goes it Might get paint this summer/fall depending on how long the cutlass project takes but as for right now, Does anybody know if the 3300 a body cradle is similar to the 3100 cradle? i know that a 3800 will sit in a 3300 cradle easy but i don't know about the 3100 cradle. there's a fairly clean 3300 a body with a decent cradle in my local u pull it and i would want to grab that one if i need it since there's no other 3300 abodys close and it would be the cheaper option. thanks. Also there's a 3.0 V6 ciera and said 3300 ciera in the yard that i'll be going to this Wednesday so if there's anything that i can get to fairly easily name it and i'll see if it's there. only asking part price plus actual shipping.

Vehicle
    Multiple Alfa Romeos

It's my understanding that the cradle is essentially the same for the 1989-1996 A-Body cars. Extra sets of slots for the transmission mounts were included in the cradle for the 4 cylinder models that had a slightly longer assembly. Considering how the chassis components (struts/sway bars/control arms) didn't change up front I really think it'd be hard to believe that the cradle would have been changed for the 3100 cars when the 3300 was dropped. Your best bet would be to take some cradle measurements of the transmission mount holes to the engine mount section and see if there's any significant variance between the 3300 cradle & your 3100 Ciera cradle.
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Vehicle

Sweet, Thanks for the reply!

Vehicle
    74 Nova, 77 Nova, 88 Cutlass Ciera

Welcome back!

I can confirm that the engine cradles in the 3100 cars will easily accept a 3800. At least it did in the case of the L27 3800 I swapped into Mom's 94 wagon that originally had a 3100. For the lower engine mount, I used a mounting yoke / bracket off a 3300 A-body. It bolted right up to the 3800 block and allowed the mount to line up with existing holes in the cradle. I also used the oil filter adapter off the 3300 A-body since the one on the 3800 (out of a LeSabre) would've had oil filter interference issues with the A-body engine mount yoke.

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

Something else to think about, is what brakes are on the ciera? If it is JA1 you might want to change over to the JA2 setup including hubs and all. It will require new wheels, but you can get off the shelf half shafts with the 3800 trans. If not you'll either have to use your existing trans, or build your own half shafts by taking 2 sets apart to get the ends you want.

If upgrading you might want to look at upgrading the fronts to the later u-van so you have improved breaking to match the improved power.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by lemons bob View Post
    Something else to think about, is what brakes are on the ciera? If it is JA1 you might want to change over to the JA2 setup including hubs and all. It will require new wheels, but you can get off the shelf half shafts with the 3800 trans. If not you'll either have to use your existing trans, or build your own half shafts by taking 2 sets apart to get the ends you want.

If upgrading you might want to look at upgrading the fronts to the later u-van so you have improved breaking to match the improved power.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think "JA1" or "JA2" was available on the '94 and newer a-body cars. I believe they were superseded by JM4 Brakes. They got the larger brakes, wheels, hubs with the Kelsey-Hayes anti-lock system.

Ken T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast