Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AM/FM radio

Default AM/FM radio

Looking for an original Delco AM/FM radio with electronic tuning. With or without cassette player. Not sure if the mounting brackets are all the same, but this would be for a 1988 Celebrity. Thanks.

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Pretty much any of them will fit, the brackets can be switched over to the new one if you still have them, if not then the brackets may be Celebrity only but there's quite a few out there that still have their original radio or the brackets on an aftermarket.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by a61210 View Post
    Delco AM/FM radio with electronic tuning
    On ebay, they can go cheap, or for too much...if you have the time, you might find one there.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

if its a radio you want I sure have a stock pile. the 88 im sure still use the old style plugs. and yes. basically every gm radio from the 80s with fit them.. I have my factory radio. a stock radio from an 88 celebrity. a radio for a 1982 Cadillac. an 83 Cadillac, the eq models. and the redesigned 84 Cadillac radio. the same type with a flat black face from a 85 celebrity. a standard cassette deck from a 1986 cavalier. a cheap non auto reverse cassette player from a 1983 s10 I think. and if you would make a wiring conversion plug. to just plug n play. to adapt the 80s to the 90s plugs. oh man you could upgrade to any tape player you want. most look the same but basically since they are 10-15 years newer. are in better shape and may have some better sound- and stuff. although I like the sound of the 1983 Cadillac stereo. the reason they changed stuff. if you had 10 ohm speakers or low end 4 ohms. that radio will fry them. it puts out a lot off bass. my buddy thought I had a amp in the trunk with a woofer. I open trunk. nothing in here.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

what I want is an old style analog am fm STEREO with an 8 track player. the rare option for the newer radio in 1982. not the old 70s radio. the a-body car radio style but an 8 track where the cassette would be.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

That has to be really RARE. I saw a pic of an AM only unit....once.

Ken T.

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    That has to be really RARE.
    Just a ballpark, but from late sixties to early eighties these were produced. I suspect it was an option offered.

I don't recall seeing one then, but when looking at ebay's listings, a person would have to own the vehicle to know.

I had 4 and 8 track aftermarket units back then, but they were not cheap in earlier production days. Earlier birds paid much more...just like cellphone users.

Apparently, Delco T-400 8-Track was a common unit. See images in search...

Still, plenty of them for sale, but to me, they are history...as in I would have no interest in owning one.

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Just a pic, I don't own one.
    Jay

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by SexySilhouette View Post

Just a pic, I don't own one.
    I had a fascination with them when I was young. I came of age just after they went out of style and cassettes were taking hold in the mid-70's. I can remember Pioneer made a Hi-Fi 8-Track deck for recording...back in the day when Pioneer was serious stereo manufacturer instead of an asset in some holding company.

Ken T.

I can remember Pioneer made a Hi-Fi 8-Track deck for recording...
    I had a higher dollar 8-track recording unit, but I can't remember the brand name currently. I also bought a high dollar Nakamichi recorder for cassettes. My first recording device was a Revox A77, which was a 10" reel to reel; even today, this would be a fine analog recorder.

8 track players in their day, were the best available for an automobile. Today, unless a vehicle was being restored, there is much better sound equipment available.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post
    I had a higher dollar 8-track recording unit, but I can't remember the brand name currently. I also bought a high dollar Nakamichi recorder for cassettes. My first recording device was a Revox A77, which was a 10" reel to reel; even today, this would be a fine analog recorder.

8 track players in their day, were the best available for an automobile. Today, unless a vehicle was being restored, there is much better sound equipment available.
    As I can recall, they were pretty good. I can't recall what the limitation was, either it was tape speed or track width. I want to say that the track width was narrow, but the tape speed was faster than cassette. Can't recall. I just remembered that I managed to get my hands on a under-dash 8 track car stereo when I was a youth, but unlike today everyting ting wasn't cheap (made in China), so it was hard for me to get 1) tapes, and 2) a recorder! At 2ยข per paper, I had to throw a LOT of papers to buy the smallest items.

Ken T.

what the limitation was
    Wiki explains the issues, but I'd toss a tape once it failed.

Do note, they say, "Consumer units with both play and recording function were rare and expensive."

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

I actually have 4 players that can record.. and I actually repair the tapes........... well. the ones I really want any way. or valuable tapes.. Judas priest stained class 8 track. i repaired. ebay sold for $15 for an 8 track tape. i probably have $30 invested into the 500 tapes i own. at first i didn't think anybody still used these things any more.

and i do own an AM only radio. it was factory installed in a 1984 chevy cavalier at a local junkyard. it does not work right. what i want to know., how does that get broken. my analog am fm works. its not even stereo. but the am don't work. it was kind of working. the tuner don't really work. the knob just spins half the time. it doesn't physically tune it. im not sure if the amp burned out or not. but just to have it.. the fine bottom end 1984 option.. aside from having a piece of plastic covering the radio hole. not sure if they had the "radio delete" option... that cavalier was a true bottom of the line.. 2.0 engine. 4 speed manual. am radio. heater. 2 speed wipers. no defroster. no center console. only front speakers. non adjustable steering wheel.. no passenger side mirror. whatever you can think of.. as an option. it did not have it no air conditioner. it had 2 vent knobs you yank the vent open. and if it rained the right vent dumps a puddle of water over the computer onto the floor.. . that's a good design.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

by the way. thanks for the picture. that's the one i want to find.. "just don't want to pay ebay prices"

Quote Originally Posted by cody1234 View Post
    "just don't want to pay ebay prices"
    Ask around at this forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast