Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1988 Cutlass Ciera Project.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

This should be a fun project, and a rewarding one. It will be good to see another 440-T4 rebuild!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Hey thanks for starting the thread!

I am sorry you had this failure of the engine, but hopefully it will add to my warning and help others to avoid it! The pictures definitely look familiar, though...

With such low mileage this one will be a good car once fixed up. My Olympia had 43,000 on it and I have put an additional 110+ on it and had good service.

It would be time well spent to take the engine all the way apart and check the bearings. Often the timing gear chips will make their way into the block oil gallery and damage the bearings. It would be a shame to repair the engine only to have it fail from a different reason a few miles later.
    You make a good point. The next time I work on it I'll pull the crank and see what the bearings look like. I'll also be pulling the lifters to make sure none are bad. Do you think any damage would have been done to the cam? Also just because of curiosity, are there any performance mods that I could do to pick up some HP without straining the 440T4? I really don't know how much that transmission can take on a stock rebuild. I don't believe I'm confident enough to do a hybrid rebuild. Seeing as the motor is already in pieces I figure if I'm going to do any internal mods now is the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    This should be a fun project, and a rewarding one. It will be good to see another 440-T4 rebuild!

Ken T.
    I agree. I'm fortunate to have a second car and a garage to store the car in while I work. The hope is to have the car back on the road before the fall season. Should be doable. I'm looking forward to driving this car again.

Look for another update by mid next week. Catch you all later!

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

[QUOTE=LG3HDStereo;144301]

I agree. I'm fortunate to have a second car and a garage to store the car in while I work. The hope is to have the car back on the road before the fall season. Should be doable. I'm looking forward to driving this car again.

Look for another update by mid next week. Catch you all later![/QUOTE

It really helps when you have another vehicle. I know many on this board whose a-car is their only car.

Ken T.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12