Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Later Double Din Radios Into Older GMs

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

A shameless bump of my own thread....

I finally got around to taking a picture of the fleur de lis 'Caprice' emblem / escutcheon plate I installed between the vents, where the clock originally was. I did have the blank / delete plate installed from an Impala, but that just didn't do it for me. This came from an '86. I had to shorten the overall height, as the opening it snaps into was about 1/8 different from the '77-'84 dash. The dash mold was changed again and the escutcheon was made integral in '87 or later. I was really surprised to find a nice one at my favorite U-Pull-It. Much better selection of A-bodies than B-bodies.

Last edited by CorvairGeek; 05-16-2019 at 02:14 AM.
    Jerry

Wow, this is a beautiful and very detailed modification. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet1990 View Post
    Here's my '85's dash... the clock has the newer-style printing like the cluster as well. Definitely a one-year-only thing. It's been way too long ago to remember what my grandfather's '85 wagon looked like. As for a new radio for it, I'm still not sure what I want - I do certainly want to have 21st-century tech-ability as far as being able to plug in a phone/music player to it, but with minimal hacking up things.

Old thread I stumbled across. When I was a kid, my grandpa had an 86 Caprice wagon with that stainless trim. It had a clock but don't remember if it looked exactly like that one in the pic. It had an AM radio with front speakers only. I couldn't help but notice how close the radio looked to a standard Delco radio but in a special faceplate. He would let me tinker with his stuff, so I cut a hole in the stainless faceplate to the size of a standard Delco radio, and put in an AM/FM. All the mounting behind the plate was there, and the radio face lined up perfectly with the rest of the faceplate, only the radio was black. I was also going to put some rear speakers in it (4x10s went in the rear pillars) but never got around to it.

Many years before that, he had a 77 Impala wagon. I liked the taillights on that one. Good times.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Vehicle
    none

Quote Originally Posted by CorvairGeek View Post
    The final fit. The XM antenna is just sitting in the defrost opening at the moment. That is the aux input in the radio surround on the right;

Unlike the A-body, the room in the dash of these cars is unbelievable.

I've got lots more pics and info if any one is interested. It sounds fantastic to me!
    I bet some chrome door edge guard trim (or even the black stuff) would smooth out that radio opening real nice. Flexible, easy to replace, should make for an easy fit.
    Alan Moore - TOAD Roadside - Worthington, OH

08 Cobalt LT sedan, black, 209K, Doordash and UberEATS beater

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by occupant View Post
    I bet some chrome door edge guard trim (or even the black stuff) would smooth out that radio opening real nice. Flexible, easy to replace, should make for an easy fit.
    The opening wasn't quite up to my standards, and I had made an error scoring the wood applique. The applique doesn't flow into the relief area around the HVAC control, so I thought it was a good match around the radio too (this one is an aftermarket). It has a place nearly worn through the wood grain too from adjusting the HVAC.
    I have a collection of these face plates now, so I know I could do a better job on another, but it hasn't been a priority. I should at least touch up the silver edge around this one. I did preserve all the edge along the bottom of the radio.
    Jerry

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by tlc1976 View Post
    Old thread I stumbled across. When I was a kid, my grandpa had an 86 Caprice wagon with that stainless trim. It had a clock but don't remember if it looked exactly like that one in the pic. It had an AM radio with front speakers only. I couldn't help but notice how close the radio looked to a standard Delco radio but in a special faceplate. He would let me tinker with his stuff, so I cut a hole in the stainless faceplate to the size of a standard Delco radio, and put in an AM/FM. All the mounting behind the plate was there, and the radio face lined up perfectly with the rest of the faceplate, only the radio was black. I was also going to put some rear speakers in it (4x10s went in the rear pillars) but never got around to it.

Many years before that, he had a 77 Impala wagon. I liked the taillights on that one. Good times.
    I always wondered what possessed GM to make the '85 -' 90 Impala / Caprice radio physically unique. I figured the engineer that was behind the C4 Corvette digital dash, and '88-'94 full size pickup dash was in between projects.
    It is the same radio electronically as the other 1.5 DIN radios (I've used them for parts). The Pontiac Parisienne used a conventional face plate and standard radio. The wood grain was a little different in the Pontiac.
    Jerry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123