Thread: After several years...might bring home a proper car tomorrow

Vehicle
    none

Default After several years...might bring home a proper car tomorrow

It's a white on maroon 1988 Celebrity sedan. Four cylinder. 214k showing. Lazy transmission. But for $300 I won't care.

I'll post again when either it, a blue 1985 Cavalier CL sedan, a blue 1993 Cutlass Supreme sedan, or a green 1995 Bonneville SSE are home. Those are my final three choices. Others are $400 though...and everything my wife would rather have is OBD2 compliant or newer...
    Alan Moore - TOAD Roadside - Worthington, OH

08 Cobalt LT sedan, black, 209K, Doordash and UberEATS beater

Vehicle
    none

That's a really lazy transmission. Have to pretty much floor it to get the 1-2 shift and then the 2-3 is slippy. I passed on it. Also wasn't too impressed with the seller.

My opinion is the 1985 Cavalier was next but it's been sitting 7 years and will at least need tires, hoses, belts, and probably brake work. It does start with a jump and idle, moves forward and back, but the seller wouldn't allow me to drive it down the street to verify it hits all three gears plus lockup. I love the car, I really wish I could do that, but it is more of a project car to bring it back to roadworthy when we need something we can daily drive right away or with minimal work. I can change out brakes, tires, a few things, but this car needs 2-3 weekends' worth of work to be up to par.

The Cutlass is a 3400 DOHC. Pass. The Bonneville sold.

Current top of my list is another '87 Celebrity sedan, white on maroon, 2.8 MPFI, buckets and floor shift and console, but still a base model sedan, not a CL or Euro. It's in MUCH better condition but it won't idle. Starts easy, supposed to drive well, turn and stop, all that. But you have to keep your foot on the throttle or it dies instantly. I'll look at it next weekend if it's still up. This is a car I can deal with. This is NOT a car my wife would be willing to suffer unless I can fix the idle issue right away.

The others include:

1990 2.5L Grand Am, LE sedan, black on gray cloth, very clean and nice but won't fire. Is getting fuel, is turning over fast enough, but no spark. Being a Duke means it should be pretty simple so I'm looking into those possibilities. It's a $300 car.

1990 Camry DX sedan, light blue, automatic, 4-cylinder, extremely rusty but evidently reliable and daily driver material. This one is $400.

1995 Buick Roadmaster wagon, LT1 motor, light blue and woodgrain, nice tint, blacked out wheels, has a busted shock mount left rear but runs/drives well, also $500.

1998 Century, 3100, seems decent but radiator fans won't come on even with AC turned on. So it needs electrical work. Motor has clean oil and coolant so maybe it hasn't popped yet, smooth idle and drives right up to speed but gets hot quick. Seller claims water pump already done, but it's filthy under the hood so I'm not guaranteeing it. Another $300 car.

Other $500 cars include a 1990 Cavalier bondo bucket, a 1997 LeSabre, 1998 Grand Prix, 1999 Eighty Eight, 2002 and 2004 Cavaliers, and a 2003 Grand Am V6. I'm also considering a $550 1999 Grand Am that needs a window and a battery. I have a top post battery I can exchange for a side post one at a junkyard, and that same yard offers window glass replacement pretty cheap. They have plenty of 99-05 Grand Ams, too. There are several more 99-05 Grand Ams available on CL in varying states of dishevelment for $500-750 as well.

The only other vehicle I'd really like to have right now is a 2001 Park Avenue with no hubcaps and high miles. It stalls occasionally so might need EGR cleaned out or throttle position sensor or something. 242K miles so anything is possible, but it's clean and straight and has the heads up display, leather, power everything. Silver on gray, very nondescript, but the plain black steel wheels have to go. This one is asking $700 and it's a fresh ad. Maybe other responders will beat him down over the next few days and $500 will buy it next weekend. I may actually go look at this before the Celebrity, Roadmaster, or the rest.
    Last edited by occupant; 06-05-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Honestly I like the roadmaster but those had the air ride option I recall so a busted shock could be the air ride suspension bag gone . If it's the mounting area can be welded but could be a rust bucket underneath to cause that . The grand am are simple cars with the l82 1995- 99 3100 v6 and 4t60-e tranny good gas mileage and pep . The 4 cylinder version was a complete dog and had head gasket issues . The iron duke grand am 2.5 were know for icm failures and map sensor going bad I had a 87 grand am and was reliable as ever just needed work cause it was lacked of taken care of which ever you choose get it cheap and prepare to fix it up to be reliable .

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I'm partial to the first gen J-cars! I miss my '84 Skyhawk Wagon!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1992 Acura NSX

Congrats on the new ride!
    1986 Celebrity Classic 2.8 (First car - sold)
    2013 Acura ILX
    1994 Acura Legend (x 2)
    1992 Acura NSX
    drivetofive.wordpress.com

Vehicle
    none

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Congrats on the new ride!
    DEFINITELY didn't buy that one. Trying to buy that $700 coupe in Zanesville but the seller isn't replying to emails, texts, or voice mails. About to give up on him and get this '88 sedan instead:

Yeah, it needs a battery, it might have some brake issues (judging by writing on the windshield) but it is a 56K actual miles car. Probably one owner. If it's not too swiss cheesed underneath, I'll deal with the body later. And I doubt it'll sell for much more than $200-$300 so I'll be able to afford to fix it up decently on an $800 budget.

They also have an 89K mile 1996 Century with a lot less rust and a 46K mile 1994 Cavalier sedan in gray with what appears to be NO rust but non actual miles (which is probably just a lazy prior owner or title clerk, because it looks real nice to me in pictures)

Auction is 10am tomorrow morning in Columbus. If I don't get one of those three there are a couple others but nothing this board would be interested in.

Vehicle
    none

I also found a 1985 Century. Seller was asking $600 but got no bites. He took off the price and is getting all kinds of $100-$200 offers now *rolls eyes*

Car drives fine, has a leaky rear brake line, minor front header panel damage.

I don't think I'll have an easy time locating a 1982-1985 header panel. Would the 1986-1988 style one bolt on? How difficult would it be to adapt the 1989-1996 style? At least headlight wiring, but will it bolt up to the fenders? When I search fenders on car-part.com it shows 1982-1996 all the same, so in theory the header should match up.

I did find one perfect 1984 header with grille and lights and all for $150 in Toledo and I'll be up there in about a month.