Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1990 cutlass ciera LFX 3.6 swap/Iran

Vehicle
    1990 Cutlass Ciera / 78 Pontiac GP

no problem i can remove cats but still not helping and moving that piece of the cradle is a must, and more than everything i m thinking cv axles length will be my biggest issue here.

Vehicle

Vehicle

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Now the fun begins! Hooking all that stuff up. This should be VERY interesting!

Ken T.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Now the fun begins! Hooking all that stuff up. This should be VERY interesting!

Ken T.
    yes fun, when I found out the project will be easier than what I thought ...even evaporator box i was planning to remove but it seems there is enough space and no need to remove it.

2016 impala wheel hub on 1990 cutlass ciera ..all three bolts holes have same position and bolt pattern are same also.

still i m not sure how to position engine/trans to have cv axles in best position as stcok engine...

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I suppose you might start by making comparisons between the overall length of the original engine and the 3.6. I'd definitely want to keep enough room for servicing the front of the engine. I guess another way would be to look at your CV axle options.

Ken T.

Vehicle

i installed evaporator back on the car and did a test fit again, here are some better pics.

Vehicle

It looks like that thing just fits in there. Have you determined where you'll locate the computer and any thoughts on the wiring you'll have to do?

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

All of the wiring, honestly. I don't think there will be any of the stock harness that will be usable, except as scraps. Computer may be able to be stored in the stock location, which is behind the dashboard on the passenger side. You can get to it through the glove box.

Looking good so far. I thought for sure the heads would be too large to fit in the engine bay. Have you tried refitting the hood yet to see if it closes correctly?

Vehicle

no way to fit new ECM into the dashboard as stock one because the different route of wiring harness , i will use some of wires on driver side about coolant temp/starter signal/maybe oil pressure signal and about AC i will use stock switche on dashboard to signal new fuse box.

i thought same about heads and fitment but i did test fit many times and fits well plus hood closes without hitting the intake which is highest point on the engine.

about shifter cable, i can use stock one and there is some bracket on new transmission to put it on like stock one ... as you can see even brake booster hose seated in the same place like stock and it looks like they engineered it for same car ... same about both exhaust pipes from front and rear head , rear one can go into same position for stock down pipe and front one from underneath of oil pan and sway bar without seeing it to be lower than cradle.

Vehicle

update : i did test cv axles ... driver side fitting well and got enough space to play after installation but passenger side cv axle is a bit long, maybe 1/2inch longer than what it should be .

can i shorten a cvaxle ?!

Vehicle

Is there anyone locally who makes custom axles? I'm pretty sure the shaft is hardened, so cutting and welding will probably weaken it significantly. You'll need to take the length out of one of the ends.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    Is there anyone locally who makes custom axles? I'm pretty sure the shaft is hardened, so cutting and welding will probably weaken it significantly. You'll need to take the length out of one of the ends.
    i thought about same way but I m not sure if one side has enough splines length to cut and make new groove for clips before or after the tripod .

still i m looking for another cv axle from other types of cv axles on FWD cars with 6t70 transmission but more I research i find more wrong info on websites like rockauto for example see how can a set of cv axles be with different outboard splines for same car?!

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....294387&jsn=736
    http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....294387&jsn=738

even on same page lited 4 cv axles for right side all of them with different info about splines and length

i got all my parts from impala Limited but it seems impala LTZ got shorter CV axles but i hope splines are same ...
    Last edited by kamali; 09-26-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Vehicle

I don't know if this is something you are able to do, but you might consider calling Rock Auto. The times I've called them about clarifying something I saw in the catalog, the person on the other line was quite knowledgeable and answered all my questions in a way that satisfied me. I don't mean any offense when I say this, but if you speak English well enough, it could be worth your time to contact them.

Vehicle

ok impala limited and impala got two different type of cv axles ..going to shorten cv axles by making splines longer and all I can do is 2cm only ... then using driver side cv axle for the passenger side.

meanwhile made engine mount plates and welded in the best position...will post pics after painting soon.

power steering pump fitting is same as stock abodies but needs to make it shorter cause LFX pump sits somewhere underneath A/C fan/evaporator box.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123