Thread: Oil Pump for an 85 3.8

Default Oil Pump for an 85 3.8

Hi All

Still working to put my L67 swap parts together. In the mean time, Im trying to resolve an issue with my LG2 3.8 oil pump. I replaced the front seal last fall due to a good leak from the oil pan and rope seal. I installed a new gasket on the oil pump housing while I had it out and noticed some good wear on the bottom half of the oil pump housing from the gears (the half with the filter mount). I checked it again for the first time I rebuilt everything and the wear is much worse. This oil pump is driven by the distributor and NOT the crank like the later LG3 cars. I believe the front cover is the same on the carbed 3.0 cars. Anyone have one lying around that they'd be willing to part with? I don't need the whole cover, just the filter mount half. Many thanks in advance.

Hi Tony. I have fought this same problem on my turbo 3.8 build. I was not able to get another housing, however there's a repair plate for this. I will search for the part number. I remember it was not expensive.

I did not use it - I ended up lapping the existing aluminum plate to get a new wear surface.

The plate is a Melling P201. It comes with gaskets and longer screws to make up for the longer length.

EDIT: Here is a link to one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301982709780
    Last edited by turbokinetic; 07-23-2016 at 09:45 AM.